Yemen Rebels Take over US Embassy

So the US gave up yet another embassy. Here is an idea...when there is a threat, beef up security instead of running with our tail between our legs. Obama is a pussy.

" (Reuters) - Armed Houthi rebels in the Yemeni capital Sanaa seized U.S. embassy vehicles after the ambassador and diplomats left the country on Wednesday, local members of embassy staff told Reuters.

The employees said that more than 20 vehicles were taken by the fighters after the Americans departed from Sanaa's airport.

The United States, Britain and France have closed their embassies and evacuated staff as the security situation in Yemen has unraveled following the group's formal takeover of power last week."
Yemen Houthi rebels seize U.S. embassy vehicles after diplomats leave staff Reuters

Translation for the OP and certain other neurally impaired folks, "Yemeni rebels walked in to the abandoned US embassy uncontested."
Yeah...the US abandoned the embassy and it was taken over by rebels. That should not have happened. That should never happen.

I agree with you there,but the idea the tea party had anything to do with it is batshit crazy.

So the US gave up yet another embassy. Here is an idea...when there is a threat, beef up security instead of running with our tail between our legs. Obama is a pussy.

" (Reuters) - Armed Houthi rebels in the Yemeni capital Sanaa seized U.S. embassy vehicles after the ambassador and diplomats left the country on Wednesday, local members of embassy staff told Reuters.

The employees said that more than 20 vehicles were taken by the fighters after the Americans departed from Sanaa's airport.

The United States, Britain and France have closed their embassies and evacuated staff as the security situation in Yemen has unraveled following the group's formal takeover of power last week."
Yemen Houthi rebels seize U.S. embassy vehicles after diplomats leave staff Reuters

Translation for the OP and certain other neurally impaired folks, "Yemeni rebels walked in to the abandoned US embassy uncontested."
Yeah...the US abandoned the embassy and it was taken over by rebels. That should not have happened. That should never happen.

You don't take over an embassy if you waltzed right in to it. Your use of the phrase "took over" makes it look like some battle ensued with casualties.

I agree with you there,but the idea the tea party had anything to do with it is batshit crazy.

Tea Party isn't in charge of the government's policy of dropping bombs on Yemen. US government as a whole is responsible, not a single political party. Embassy was abandoned because the Yemis got sick of US aggression and literally (it seems) scared them out of their country. Good for them. Love a happy ending where no one gets killed.

But I do blame the teapers. If they didn't turn the terrorist attack on Benghai into a manufactured controversy, that idiot Obama wouldn't be forced to make pussy moves.

^ Fucking Moron.

Complete total Obama Fluffing Fuckign Moron
How am I "fluffing" Obama? He is a pussy and an idiot. Regretfully, the teapers created the atmosphere that allows him to pussify America.

How about you explain how the tea party created this so called atmosphere to obamas advantage.
This should be good....
Who said it was to his advantage. Instead of beefing up security, he is running away because the teapers will create some sort of manufactured nonsense like Benghazi if terrorists attack. It is pretty simple. You understand cause and effect?

Yeeeeah...okay. :alcoholic::cuckoo:
Which Senator asked in the hearing about keeping information safe and the general told him to stop using classified information as talking points? The Republican party did some very real and permanent damage to foreign policy over Benghazi. That was about the most anti-American stunt I have ever seen.

Anyway, about Yemen. I don't think anyone still has an embassy in the capital. Everyone moved them to south Yemen to show support for the president, except the U.S. however. The U.S. moved their embassy to Saudi Arabia. My guess is it was to not upset Iran. The U.S. is playing a very dangerous game of trying to hold on to traditional ties with Sunni nations and work with Iran on a growing number of issues. As TheOldSchool wrote a few posts up, "Who the hell saw that one coming!!!" I think some might be seeing a really bad end to all this. I know I do.

So you want another Benghazi? Smart!!! Why keep an Embassy open when there is no legitimate government right now? You keep bitching on here and let the professionals handle the big problems.

His parents should have protected him by denouncing terrorism.
"When the Guardian interviewed Mohammed last September, he spoke of his anger towards the US government for killing his father. 'They tell us that these drones come from bases in Saudi Arabia and also from bases in the Yemeni seas and America sends them to kill terrorists, but they always kill innocent people. But we don’t know why they are killing us.'"
Obviously, the U$ kill$ becau$e it can.
We dream about drones said 13-year-old Yemeni before his death in a CIA strike World news The Guardian

Maybe they should stop harbouring terrorists? just a thought.

I agree. Stop letting those dirtbags from the Middle East into America.

And BTW. Let em have the embassy. Let em all get inside and drop a bomb on it.

You'd rather our civil servants be put into heavier danger in order to simply stay put? We have evacuated embassies like this as a matter of standard operating procedure for far longer than Obama has been in office.

They should enjoy the tennis courts with poolside service...

What's your definition of "terrorism?"

"U.S. Drone Strike Math – 41 Terrorists Targeted, 1,147 People Killed"

If your definition includes killing civilians for political gain, the US government harbors more terrorists than any other institution on the planet.

"
The drones came for Ayman Zawahiri on 13 January 2006, hovering over a village in Pakistan called Damadola. Ten months later, they came again for the man who would become al-Qaida’s leader, this time in Bajaur.

"Eight years later, Zawahiri is still alive. Seventy-six children and 29 adults, according to reports after the two strikes, are not.

"However many Americans know who Zawahiri is, far fewer are familiar with Qari Hussain. Hussain was a deputy commander of the Pakistani Taliban, a militant group aligned with al-Qaida that trained the would-be Times Square bomber, Faisal Shahzad, before his unsuccessful 2010 attack. The drones first came for Hussain years before, on 29 January 2008. Then they came on 23 June 2009, 15 January 2010, 2 October 2010 and 7 October 2010.

"Finally, on 15 October 2010, Hellfire missiles fired from a Predator or Reaper drone killed Hussain, the Pakistani Taliban later confirmed. For the death of a man whom practically no American can name, the US killed 128 people, 13 of them children, none of whom it meant to harm."

U.S. Drone Strike Math 41 Terrorists Targeted 1 147 People Killed Zero Hedge

What's your definition of "terrorism?"

"U.S. Drone Strike Math – 41 Terrorists Targeted, 1,147 People Killed"

If your definition includes killing civilians for political gain, the US government harbors more terrorists than any other institution on the planet.

"
The drones came for Ayman Zawahiri on 13 January 2006, hovering over a village in Pakistan called Damadola. Ten months later, they came again for the man who would become al-Qaida’s leader, this time in Bajaur.

"Eight years later, Zawahiri is still alive. Seventy-six children and 29 adults, according to reports after the two strikes, are not.

"However many Americans know who Zawahiri is, far fewer are familiar with Qari Hussain. Hussain was a deputy commander of the Pakistani Taliban, a militant group aligned with al-Qaida that trained the would-be Times Square bomber, Faisal Shahzad, before his unsuccessful 2010 attack. The drones first came for Hussain years before, on 29 January 2008. Then they came on 23 June 2009, 15 January 2010, 2 October 2010 and 7 October 2010.

"Finally, on 15 October 2010, Hellfire missiles fired from a Predator or Reaper drone killed Hussain, the Pakistani Taliban later confirmed. For the death of a man whom practically no American can name, the US killed 128 people, 13 of them children, none of whom it meant to harm."

U.S. Drone Strike Math 41 Terrorists Targeted 1 147 People Killed Zero Hedge

I find myself wondering where these numbers came from, because they aren't very accurate with the data that we have on drone strokes in Pakistan. For one we have killed well over 3,000 so far in Pakistan alone, for another, while we have high profile targets, we also target general militants and training camps so simply saying that we only had X number of specific targets doesn't mean that the rest were civilian or unintended causalities. Even more activist groups don't try to assert that we have killed over 1000 civilians in Pakistan, let alone in Yemen which is what this thread is about.

Just a little update on Yemen. Student demonstrators at Yemeni University. That could not possibly be instigated by Iran by chance. The Yemen President referred to as, "fugitive" Hadi. Think that bodes well for peace talks? Probably not. PressTV is Iran's unofficial official news agency. Seems Iran is really starting to take a leading role in the future of Yemen. Hey, I have a great idea. Let's give Iran a nuke. Oops, I forgot they don't really want a nuke. That last line of the article I posted is another one of those Islamic oddly ambiguous statements. Like I posted in the thread relating to Egypt earlier today Islamists have a tendency to state something, say that it does not mean what it says, and then carry through with the statement.

PressTV
Yousef Mawry. Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:20AM
Yemeni university students staged a sit-in at Sana’a University to censure US and Saudi intervention in the country’s internal affairs.
They accused both nations of fueling the unrest in order to secure their own interests in Yemen.

The University sit-in comes just a day after Saudi Arabia approved fugitive former Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi’s proposed plan to hold the country's national dialogue in Riyadh instead of the capital Sana’a, which is currently under the control of the Houthis.
The Ansarullah movement has strongly condemned the upcoming dialogue in Riyadh, and has unequivocally refused to take part in it.

Students at Sana’a University believe the repercussions of holding national dialogue in Saudi Arabia is another civil war.
...​

I see it repeated often that the Houtis are a Shia minority but I think that is misleading. Yemen used to be two countries, north and south Yemen. I actually saw in an article recently that someone referred to the semi-deposed government being in south Yemen and they were corrected and corrected themselves of the location without referring to it as 'south Yemen'. What used to be North Yemen is predominately Shia while South Yemen is Sunni. So while Yemen overall is majority Sunni that can be misleading when thinking about power struggles. Currently I do not think there is any serious discussion about redividing the country.

Yemen_religion_ethnicgroups_04.jpg

Map_yemen2.gif

Another article from PressTV. This one an interview of some guy from West Virginia who does not seem to have any great credentials. The article is mainly a video that introduces the topic with, "When we speak of foreign interference in Yemen the first country that comes to mind is Saudi Arabia." Odd, that was not my first guess. ;) Kidding aside this is taking a very dangerous direction.

PressTV- S Arabia funding al-Qaeda in Yemen

Everybody got that ? Let's all write it down, so we don't forget. Such a novel idea. Wow!
geez.gif

Forum List

Back