Yale University was Named After a Slave Trader

I am sobbing just thinking about Yale which obviously represents the slave trading industry of the 19th century. I demand it be burned to the ground.

Or, at a minimum, be renamed to honor the slave's descendents..... might I suggest Jogger U.?

45m9vx.jpg

This is getting fucking ridiculous.

SLAVERY DID INDEED HAPPEN AND PEOPLE DID INDEED PARTICIPATE IN IT AT THE TIME. Get. The. Fuck. Over. It.

Daaaayum Girl, preach!

Never thought I'd agree with a Yankee liberal. There is hope for the U.S.
iu

This is getting fucking ridiculous. When are people gonna get over the fact that slavery existed? Yale is named for Yale because he funded them! Harvard was named for its benefactor, as well. Washington, Jefferson, etc. etc. owned slaves; it was legal and it was rich and influential men who were the movers and shakers that did big things we honor people for. No one is honoring Yale because he was a slave trader. The Washington monument and the Jefferson Memorial aren't there because those two owned slaves. It was part of their businesses. Slavery was so entwined with American life that it took a four year Civil War to unravel it. NONE of these people deserve to have their statues taken down or their names taken from buildings. Even Columbus, who was a total creep, DID discover the Bahamas, which in turn led to the discovery of the continents directly to their west. It was his THEORY that sailing West would land you in India that Columbus is famous for. Took a lot of balls to test that theory, sailing into the complete unknown far from any help. THAT is why he is honored.

If people are so fucking offended by these men who achieved important, planet changing events, they can take a Xanax. It's what they need. SLAVERY DID INDEED HAPPEN AND PEOPLE DID INDEED PARTICIPATE IN IT AT THE TIME. Get. The. Fuck. Over. It.
This is true. At some point it becomes ridiculous. The confederate statues I can understand the rationale, but beyond that it all starts becoming ludicrous.
The confederate statue thing should be a community decision, not a pc gesture by some mayor or governor or college administrator unilaterally to show how "woke" they are. It is political bullshit.

Did you see the thread on Berklee School of Music in Boston? They let the cops use their bathrooms during the riots, and afterward the President of the school apologized profusely to his students and promised it would never happen again.
That kind of shit makes me sick.

This is getting fucking ridiculous. When are people gonna get over the fact that slavery existed? Yale is named for Yale because he funded them! Harvard was named for its benefactor, as well. Washington, Jefferson, etc. etc. owned slaves; it was legal and it was rich and influential men who were the movers and shakers that did big things we honor people for. No one is honoring Yale because he was a slave trader. The Washington monument and the Jefferson Memorial aren't there because those two owned slaves. It was part of their businesses. Slavery was so entwined with American life that it took a four year Civil War to unravel it. NONE of these people deserve to have their statues taken down or their names taken from buildings. Even Columbus, who was a total creep, DID discover the Bahamas, which in turn led to the discovery of the continents directly to their west. It was his THEORY that sailing West would land you in India that Columbus is famous for. Took a lot of balls to test that theory, sailing into the complete unknown far from any help. THAT is why he is honored.

If people are so fucking offended by these men who achieved important, planet changing events, they can take a Xanax. It's what they need. SLAVERY DID INDEED HAPPEN AND PEOPLE DID INDEED PARTICIPATE IN IT AT THE TIME. Get. The. Fuck. Over. It.
This is true. At some point it becomes ridiculous. The confederate statues I can understand the rationale, but beyond that it all starts becoming ludicrous.
It got ridiculous when they were tearing down the confederate statues....period. The foot is in the door and now we have a slippery slope.
In New England, you can't drive through the center of many towns without encountering a statue of some guy on a horse. Or, lower budget, a guy standing with a long gun. I would bet you a dollar I could ask 100 people walking or driving by who it is and maybe tops 5 people who live there would know. And if you tell them the name, most still won't know who the guy is or why he's got a statue. My guess is that New Englanders aren't that different from people elsewhere in the country.

There are exceptions, and if a community has reached the point where they don't want it anymore, have at it. But it should NOT be young protesters congregating from far and wide who have decided to take it in their own hands to destroy a public artwork.

Too late, this country has already caved, your tribe won, Old Lady.
Stop talking stupid.

At the time these men lived be they Founding Fathers Confederate Generals or whoever slavery was an accepted practice at the time that does not make it right it just makes it a fact. That these people owned slaves or were involved in the slave trade should not be ignored or downplayed it is a part of who they were but it is just that a part it is not the sum total of their life.

It got ridiculous when they were tearing down the confederate statues....period. The foot is in the door and now we have a slippery slope.
In New England, you can't drive through the center of many towns without encountering a statue of some guy on a horse. Or, lower budget, a guy standing with a long gun. I would bet you a dollar I could ask 100 people walking or driving by who it is and maybe tops 5 people who live there would know. And if you tell them the name, most still won't know who the guy is or why he's got a statue. My guess is that New Englanders aren't that different from people elsewhere in the country.

There are exceptions, and if a community has reached the point where they don't want it anymore, have at it. But it should NOT be young protesters congregating from far and wide who have decided to take it in their own hands to destroy a public artwork.
How many people have been arrested for destroying public artwork? I haven't heard of any.
I could go to a city park and cut down a tree and would be arrested.

How generous of you.

Stop talking stupid.
I'm not talking stupid, I'm stating a fact.
I just don't know where it will end now. Glad I'm 70 and not 7, I would hate to see America when a 7 year old grows old.

How many people have been arrested for destroying public artwork? I haven't heard of any.
That's because there is one of you. Manageable arresting one guy with a saw. A little harder, maybe, when you've got a few hundred guys with saws and you don't know where they come from or who they are--but you get right in there, Meister, and find out. Take names. And send them a bill the next morning. I'd love to see them pay for the damage. I'd love to see the punks who spray painted graffiti all over the Lincoln Memorial, etc. have to clean it off (well actually it's a careful process to protect old stone and its done by the Park Service), but those punks should at least get a bill from the Park Service for their time and the paint remover. It takes weeks.

That's because there is one of you. Manageable arresting one guy with a saw. A little harder, maybe, when you've got a few hundred guys with saws and you don't know where they come from or who they are--but you get right in there, Meister, and find out. Take names. And send them a bill the next morning. I'd love to see them pay for the damage. I'd love to see the punks who spray painted graffiti all over the Lincoln Memorial, etc. have to clean it off (well actually it's a careful process to protect old stone and its done by the Park Service, but those punks should at least get a bill from the Park Service for their time and the paint remover. It takes weeks.
I just have to disagree with you, Old Lady.
These things tend to happen in democrat controlled cities, and not a top priority at all.

How generous of you.
giphy.gif

Well, this is very troubling. There is only one thing left to do....and that is to change the name
of Yale U. The only appropriate name I think that could calm the outrage is 'Black Lives Matters University".
How about 'PileoDogShyte University?'

Stop talking stupid.
I'm not talking stupid, I'm stating a fact.
I just don't know where it will end now. Glad I'm 70 and not 7, I would hate to see America when a 7 year old grows old.
I was mostly reacting to you calling it "my tribe." But I also have complete and total faith that this insanity will not last forever. Like G just said, the pendulum swings, but it eventually rests in the middle, where the common sense lies.

That's because there is one of you. Manageable arresting one guy with a saw. A little harder, maybe, when you've got a few hundred guys with saws and you don't know where they come from or who they are--but you get right in there, Meister, and find out. Take names. And send them a bill the next morning. I'd love to see them pay for the damage. I'd love to see the punks who spray painted graffiti all over the Lincoln Memorial, etc. have to clean it off (well actually it's a careful process to protect old stone and its done by the Park Service, but those punks should at least get a bill from the Park Service for their time and the paint remover. It takes weeks.
I just have to disagree with you, Old Lady.
These things tend to happen in democrat controlled cities, and not a top priority at all.
You are completely ignoring the fact that thousands...thousands of people have been arrested at these protests that got out of hand. You are pretending that the cops did nothing because they didn't start cracking heads and shooting people for demonstrating. Go talk to a NYC cop who was working Manhattan during the looting. See if they stood back and did nothing. smh

Yup.

It should be nice to turn down the statues of the Fathers of the country because they used to have slaves in their farms and mansions.

The new statues must be of black men and carry African names. You see, African names are simple, just a sole name followed by a number, like Mswati VII.

Do not worry how to pronounce it, but in African tone of pronunciation it sounds profound like a sunset at the jungle having bananas with gorillas.

Truly truly, I can't understand why this word racism still is an issue in today's society.

I don't know if this difference in society is caused because white people feel are superior than black people, or because black people feel are inferior than white people. I think is both.

Decades ago I was discriminated a lot by blacks in my job, but I never felt inferior than them. On the contrary, my boss, who was a very funny fat black dude, he used to imitate my funny English speaking, to the point that I used to laugh a lot of myself when he did that it in front of others. I never felt offended, he really imitated me at perfection. If you were there, you should have had a good time as well.

Today, any joke is an offense, everybody feels attacked, ready to respond aggressively, it is trauma transformed into a disease.

The past won't be erased because you destroy statues and change names. Besides, no one pays attention to those monuments anyway. I have one monument at 5 blocks from my house which was built not long ago, I have passed hundreds of times in front of it, and I have no idea what the hell is that memorial for. And I'm not interested to know it. To me is just money laundry, a city council having his cut after a contractor presented a project to suck money from the city.

At least in DC the new monuments cause new attraction for tourists and the city recovers the money, but building a monument on the side of a street where cars pass by in a hurry and nobody pays attention to it... come on.

This disease reminds me Cassius Clay pretending to be someone else because he changed his name to Mohamed Ali. And the reason wasn't his conversion to Islam but rejection to his "white man name". So a great boxer, so a ridiculous mind.

Society just can't concede to the claims of social resent people.
If long ago blacks and others were oppressed by the society of those centuries, it is understood that such is the past. Such past went away with horses and wagons which used to be the transportation means thru the streets of the cities, all of them are GONE. This is something that some people are still refusing to understand.

FDR and Wilson were notorious racists

So what is worse an American Fort named after a confederate General or Yale University which was funded by and named after a slave trader Elihu Yale

He not only sold slaves...he murdered them if he couldn't control them........why hasn't Yale been torn down to the ground?
A couple of their noteworthy alumni, the Clintons, are allegedly still practicing this.

Forum List

Back