WTF?!

The guy lost it and could have seriously injured Rudolph
The punishment was just

I also think Rudolph should be suspended a game for his role in the altercation

I disagree about the Mason Rudolph part. Garett started the whole thing with the late hit. You can blame Rudolph for reacting, especially considering the game was for all intensive purposes over at that point. I don’t think Rudolph deserves a suspension, maybe a small fine for reacting
You can blame Rudolph all you want, and hope he gets a small fine for be savagely attacked,, but that simply makes you an idiot. NO ONE out there is agreeing with that! Name the NFL rule he broke where it is a penalty for a QB to "react" to being hit late, dragged to the ground, held there once down, then have your helmet pulled off your head?

I was saying that Rudolph was NOT the instigator. He did however participate in the skirmish, so I think a small fine may be appropriate

How could he NOT "participate" in the skirmish? He was being attacked and thrown to the ground and was trying to protect himself from a guy with already two or three fines this season for attacking people, including other QBs! The NFL has become a joke.

he wasn’t trying to protect himself, he tried to retaliate. Big difference. Again, I don’t think what he did was worthy of suspension, but if you consider the league’s history in discipline retaliation has always been a no no.
This should not have happened. However I would like to know if there are tests of a person swinging a helmet and hitting someone on the head without a helmet and a person with a helmet on running full speed and hitting another person with a helmet on. The differences in possible damage to the person or persons affected. We have some idea about both players wearing helmets with one slamming into the other. But the swinging of a helmet we do not.

The NFL is crazy. They admit that Garrett and the Browns bear the lion's share of the blame with two players involved and one suspended indefinitely then fine them EQUALLY both $250,000? On top of that intend to fine Rudolph for WHAT? Pouncey is rightly appealing his 3 game suspension and I hope he wins.

Pouncey tried to kick the asshole when he was down. That's not cool.

Granted, however kicking someone in the helmet is going to do minimal damage. If anything it’s not a bright thing to do because you can hurt yourself doing it. I say Pouncey deserves a one game suspension. Reason why I’d give him some latitude is when your teammate gets hit in the head with a helmet it’s not about football at that point and you’re defending your friend in a street fight.

I disagree about the Mason Rudolph part. Garett started the whole thing with the late hit. You can blame Rudolph for reacting, especially considering the game was for all intensive purposes over at that point. I don’t think Rudolph deserves a suspension, maybe a small fine for reacting
You can blame Rudolph all you want, and hope he gets a small fine for be savagely attacked,, but that simply makes you an idiot. NO ONE out there is agreeing with that! Name the NFL rule he broke where it is a penalty for a QB to "react" to being hit late, dragged to the ground, held there once down, then have your helmet pulled off your head?

I was saying that Rudolph was NOT the instigator. He did however participate in the skirmish, so I think a small fine may be appropriate

How could he NOT "participate" in the skirmish? He was being attacked and thrown to the ground and was trying to protect himself from a guy with already two or three fines this season for attacking people, including other QBs! The NFL has become a joke.

he wasn’t trying to protect himself, he tried to retaliate. Big difference. Again, I don’t think what he did was worthy of suspension, but if you consider the league’s history in discipline retaliation has always been a no no.
This should not have happened. However I would like to know if there are tests of a person swinging a helmet and hitting someone on the head without a helmet and a person with a helmet on running full speed and hitting another person with a helmet on. The differences in possible damage to the person or persons affected. We have some idea about both players wearing helmets with one slamming into the other. But the swinging of a helmet we do not.
Football helmets are extremely hard plastic. If a 280 pound football player swings a helmet and makes solid contact with someone's head I don't think we need a research study to know what can happen. Concussion at a minimum skull fracture possible. Very fortunately in this case it was a glancing blow.

Rest of the year suspension and Mason Rudolph should have the option to press assault charges. It was pure luck that the helmet hit didn't fracture his skull.
I am not condoning what happened and any suspension and fines is good with me.
Having said that, Mason Rudolph (IMO) should have a fine levied on him.
While watching the game and the subsequent playbacks, I witnessed Rudolph
trying to pull the helmet off of Garrett's head. I believe that was the catalyst to the brawl.

Then you better get your eyeballs checked! And while at it, your BRAIN too, for by the time Rudolph had "initiated a brawl", he had already been roughed as the passer, a very late hit long after the ball was already gone, then dragged and thrown to the ground, held there and fought with.

DO PLEASE show me the video where Rudolph has a firm hold on Garrett's helmet and his body is seen moving forward as a QB on his back half his size and weight is pulling hard trying to get his helmet off? You idiots forget that all this video is in very slow motion and everything you are seeing is happening in the blink of an eye in reality.
You aren't the brightest star in the sky, are you? I've been watching ESPN and even they are wondering if there will be a game suspension for Randolph FOR
HIS INVOLVEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, Randolph said he is expecting a fine from the incident.

So go pound sand, dude.

The NFL is crazy. They admit that Garrett and the Browns bear the lion's share of the blame with two players involved and one suspended indefinitely then fine them EQUALLY both $250,000? On top of that intend to fine Rudolph for WHAT? Pouncey is rightly appealing his 3 game suspension and I hope he wins.

No, I suppose not. But I've watched the game twice in HD on a 60 inch screen forwards, backwards and every speed in between. I think Pouncey was simply reacting to Garrett's continued assaults on the QB not sure if they were over or stopped, and just trying to get him to lay off much as a cop keeps shooting until all movement stops on an attacker. People have said Rudolph started it which is absurd. Had Garrett not already hit him very late, thrown him to the ground, then was on top of him still trying to hurt him, Rudolph would not have ever had any reason much less opportunity to even try! People are so used to watching things at 1/16th speed, they forget to watch WHAT REALLY HAPPENED in real time.

What would have pulling Garrett's helmet off done anyway? All the QB was doing was flailing his arms over about a 1/2 second period trying to get hold of anything he could in an attempt to control Garrett who was on top of him. He could have grabbed the face mask but didn't. The two times he started to get a hold of his helmet as really the only thing in his reach, he let go as soon as he realized what he had.

No. Two of the Browns were ejected from the game. There had been helmet to helmet on the Steelers QB, roughing the passer, a very late hit, literally wresting the QB to the ground for no reason, ripping his helmet off, assaulting him with it used as a weapon, unsportsmanlike conduct on the QB striking him from behind, helmet to helmet on the Steelers #1 receiver and flagrant helmet to helmet spearing to take out the Steelers #2 receiver with blood coming out of his ear or down the side of his face. It was Vontaze Burfect 2.0 Browns style. All of this was offensive whereas Pouncey's actions I see as defensive.

No. All of the blame lies with the Browns, I'd love to know what Tomlin had to say to Kitchens at the end, and I look forward to the rematch in two weeks.

Last edited:

Granted, however kicking someone in the helmet is going to do minimal damage. If anything it’s not a bright thing to do because you can hurt yourself doing it. I say Pouncey deserves a one game suspension. Reason why I’d give him some latitude is when your teammate gets hit in the head with a helmet it’s not about football at that point and you’re defending your friend in a street fight.

Agreed. I give a player pretty wide latitude when it comes to defending your QB in what was really a Brown's-initiated brawl and melee. Kinda funny really reading how some people here have the nerve to claim that Rudolph "started it" then in the very next breath don't feel the same way about Garrett getting a few love taps by Pouncey.

Football helmets are extremely hard plastic. If a 280 pound football player swings a helmet and makes solid contact with someone's head I don't think we need a research study to know what can happen. Concussion at a minimum skull fracture possible. Very fortunately in this case it was a glancing blow.

As a glancing blow by the side of the helmet, it was still so hard that it compressed Rudolph's neck into his shoulders and knocked his whole head to the side. Garrett swung that with everything he had. I think it safe to say that had that been squarely on top of the head and with the top of the helmet, they would have had to take Rudolph out on a stretcher and he wouldn't be playing again this year with a probably fractured skull. On the street that could be deemed attempted murder or assault with a deadly weapon and I'll be very disappointed if Rudolph's attorney doesn't press criminal charges. And for what?

The game was over.
The Browns had won.
And it all began with a QB who had long since released the ball and was standing there defenseless.

Rest of the year suspension and Mason Rudolph should have the option to press assault charges. It was pure luck that the helmet hit didn't fracture his skull.
I am not condoning what happened and any suspension and fines is good with me.
Having said that, Mason Rudolph (IMO) should have a fine levied on him.
While watching the game and the subsequent playbacks, I witnessed Rudolph
trying to pull the helmet off of Garrett's head. I believe that was the catalyst to the brawl.

Then you better get your eyeballs checked! And while at it, your BRAIN too, for by the time Rudolph had "initiated a brawl", he had already been roughed as the passer, a very late hit long after the ball was already gone, then dragged and thrown to the ground, held there and fought with.

DO PLEASE show me the video where Rudolph has a firm hold on Garrett's helmet and his body is seen moving forward as a QB on his back half his size and weight is pulling hard trying to get his helmet off? You idiots forget that all this video is in very slow motion and everything you are seeing is happening in the blink of an eye in reality.
You aren't the brightest star in the sky, are you? I've been watching ESPN and even they are wondering if there will be a game suspension for Randolph FOR
HIS INVOLVEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, Randolph said he is expecting a fine from the incident.

So go pound sand, dude.

I never knew watching the shithole of sports coverage ESPN made one smart, better informed or right? Try reading post 66. I had friends at the game who saw it all live and NO ONE there, not even Brown's fans, saw it your or ESPN's way. I have access to the local Steeler media with firsthand knowledge and info on everything and no one sees it that way. Nothing surprises me anymore with the NFL, but there will be no suspension of Rudolph, and if they fine him, it will be a minor symbolic fine, hotly contested and highly protested. I wonder what that fine will be for? Being on the field? Self-defense? That would be like getting hit by a car running a stop sign, getting totaled, then getting a ticket for being in the way.

So yeah, believe what you want, but facts are facts.

I used to have season tickets to the Rams when they were in Anaheim, I gave them up because seeing it live, I missed so much.
Might want to check your glasses or contacts, because everybody else saw what you didn't.
Late hits happen all the time and penalized according. Watching Rudolph's hand reach for the back of Garrett's helmet and nearly had
it pulled off is what everyone saw. I'm assuming that's why even Rudolph is expecting at the least a fine.
I also am assuming is why that Garrett went for Rudolph's helmet.

I am not saying that it's an excuse for what went down in the last 8 seconds of that game, and what Garrett got he deserves.
What I am saying is that what Rudolph did set the rest in motion.

I used to have season tickets to the Rams when they were in Anaheim, I gave them up because seeing it live, I missed so much.
Might want to check your glasses or contacts, because everybody else saw what you didn't.
Late hits happen all the time and penalized according. Watching Rudolph's hand reach for the back of Garrett's helmet and nearly had
it pulled off is what everyone saw. I'm assuming that's why even Rudolph is expecting at the least a fine.
I am not saying that it's an excuse for what went down in the last 8 seconds of that game, and what Garrett got he deserves.

Putting your hand on the back of a helmet for 1/6th second then letting go as soon as you realized it last I checked isn't an NFL penalty punishable with a fine. Slo-mo is bullshit and folks and referees need to start going back to watching stuff at live speed to make their calls and judgements. Do you know this game ran 30 minutes longer than is usual for a regular game not in overtime and it was all because of delays over flags and penalties and reviews?

If Rudolph gets fined it will only be because the stupid NFL wants to throw a fine at anyone within 30 feet of the field to make sure they don't get any criticism for sports violence after this incident went mainstream media the world over.

What actually set all of this in motion if you really want to know is a comment made by Tomlin last summer in an interview when asked about facing the Browns twice and Odell Beckham Jr. and Tomlin yawned so much as to say No Big Deal. The Browns have had it in for the Steelers ever since to the point that late in the game, they went up to Tomlin on the field and taunted him about it after having the lead.

The other factor was the NFL's greed for Money in forcing players to play a game with only 1/2 weeks rest. With a weak offense and only 3 days to recover from the last game, the Steeler's defense were simply played out, players were tired, hurting and angry. It contributed to 5 serious injuries by the Steelers including their #1 RB, and their #1and #2 receivers. Then Rudolph had been pummeled all night long on most every play not including about 8 heavy hits, sacks and take-downs by Garrett alone.

So while the NFL is busy handing out all the fines, I hope they are happy with themselves. To add insult to injury, they even want to expand the season now to include 17 games!

Putting your hand on the back of a helmet for 1/6th second then letting go as soon as you realized it last I checked isn't an NFL penalty punishable with a fine. Slo-mo is bullshit and folks and referees need to start going back to watching stuff at live speed to make their calls and judgements. Do you know this game ran 30 minutes longer than is usual for a regular game not in overtime and it was all because of delays over flags and penalties and reviews?

If Rudolph gets fined it will only be because the stupid NFL wants to throw a fine at anyone within 30 feet of the field to make sure they don't get any criticism for sports violence after this incident went mainstream media the world over.

What actually set all of this in motion if you really want to know is a comment made by Tomlin last summer in an interview when asked about facing the Browns twice and Odell Beckham Jr. and Tomlin yawned so much as to say No Big Deal. The Browns have had it in for the Steelers ever since to the point that late in the game, they went up to Tomlin on the field and taunted him about it after having the lead.

The other factor was the NFL's greed for Money in forcing players to play a game with only 1/2 weeks rest. With a weak offense and only 3 days to recover from the last game, the Steeler's defense were simply played out, players were tired, hurting and angry. It contributed to 5 serious injuries by the Steelers including their #1 RB, and their #1and #2 receivers. Then Rudolph had been pummeled all night long on most every play not including about 8 heavy hits, sacks and take-downs by Garrett alone.

So while the NFL is busy handing out all the fines, I hope they are happy with themselves. To add insult to injury, they even want to expand the season now to include 17 games!
Geeeze, with as close minded and one sided as you are, one would think your favorite team is Pittsburgh.
As an outsider living in the Idaho, I have no skin in the game and giving an honest assessment to what I saw.
Seems a lot of people saw it the same as I did, including Rudolph himself.

As for your why's this and why's that.......it is what it is, there are rivalries in football both college and pros.
No excuses, it's football, it's a business, and they get paid big bucks in the pros. Longevity sucks for most,
but they are the ones who signed on the dotted line.

Oh come on now, let boys be boys.

They are trained to win at all cost , jesus the navy and army field football teams

Lessee, late hit on the quarterback after the ball is long gone
roughing the passer knocking the QB to the ground after the play was completed
ripping the QB's helmet off his head for no good reason at all then cracking him over the skull with it assaulting him.

Ejection for the rest of the season. 1 million dollar fine.

And the really stupid thing is, the Browns had won the game with only 8 seconds left on the board!

The good news is that they play again in only 2 weeks and the Steelers now have the motivation to come back from whatever funk they were in tonight and stomp their asses with a vengeance.

It wasn't quite "no good reason" for yanking off Rudolph's helmet, from what I saw of the replay. It looked to me like Rudolph tried to yank off Garrett's helmet first, then Garrett decided to return the favor, only successfully. Hitting Rudolph in the head with the helmet, however, didn't seem to have any sort of justification. Garrett saw the line you shouldn't cross and he jumped right over it.

Rest of the year suspension, maybe some sort of NFL-driven community service. Hell, make him take anger management courses. An assault charge seems a bit much to me. :dunno:

Sorry, no. At that point, Garrett already had the QB on the ground on a late hit and Rudolph was only reaching up trying to defend himself while being manhandled further after the takedown and the closest thing to him was Garrett's head, so his hands made some incidental contact there. At no time did Rudolph grab Garrett's helmet or try to tug on it, he was on his back in a defenseless position like a rag doll and then Garrett pulled him back to his feet to yank his helmet off. Then used it as a weapon where he could have cracked Rudolph's skull open putting him in the hospital after just recovering from a concussion. I can't even believe that you'd try to justify Garrett's actions, there was no justification, no excuse, had Rudolph told Garrett his momma wore army boots and yanked Garrett's helmet off and danced on it, that does not justify trying to take a guy out, end his season, maybe end his career or life and Garrett's going to pay for it. Out for the season and more. Big fines, and a criminal assault lawsuit I bet.

That's simply not true. Rudolph absolutely, 100%, grabbed at and tried to take off Garrett's helmet. Here, look at about 1:45 of the video:

Rudolph is very clearly trying to get Garrett's helmet off, and nearly does so. It doesn't in any way excuse Garrett's action, it just explains to me why Garrett decided to yank off Rudolph's helmet in the first place.

I agree with a rest of the year suspension.

RUBBISH. That is simply your interpretation of Rudolph reaching out trying to fend Garrett off of him. A couple times he puts his hands on Garrets helmet as the only thing he could reach and every time he lets go immediately. Not once does he actually grab hold of it and try to pull it off, not that this justifies anything that Garrett did and shame on you for suggesting so as a defense!

Do you have reading comprehension trouble? I very specifically stated that Rudolph trying to take off Garrett's helmet does not excuse what Garrett did. In each of my posts, in fact, I was clear that there was no excuse for hitting Rudolph with the helmet.

In addition, Rudolph is being fined for his part in the fight. According to this nfl.com article on the subject, "On the ground, Rudolph then grabbed at the pass-rusher's helmet." Mason Rudolph will be fined for role in TNF brawl

Just because Garrett was a moron does not mean Rudolph did nothing wrong. This isn't a zero-sum equation.

Yes. A suspension for the rest of the year would be a fitting punishment. Let’s not go overboard

Lol. Attempt murder on one of your coworkers? Temporary suspension. In what occupation, outside of being someone famous who you like, would that be a "fitting punishment"?

Attempted murder? I don't think he was trying to kill Rudolph. :lol:

Geeeze, with as close minded and one sided as you are, one would think your favorite team is Pittsburgh.
As an outsider living in the Idaho, I have no skin in the game and giving an honest assessment to what I saw.
Seems a lot of people saw it the same as I did, including Rudolph himself.

As for your why's this and why's that.......it is what it is, there are rivalries in football both college and pros.
No excuses, it's football, it's a business, and they get paid big bucks in the pros. Longevity sucks for most,
but they are the ones who signed on the dotted line.

Sir, there is nothing "closed" about my mind at all, indeed, that more aptly applies to you who have refused to look at the facts from the beginning.
And your "honest" opinion is every proof of that, that you even think your opinion more honest than others is laughable.
And do please show me where Rudolph thinks he's to blame for instigating this matter!

Rudolph has graciously declined charging Garrett with assault, which I think is a mistake. Laughingly, I just read some idiot in Houston write an article where he practically blamed the entire thing on Rudolph and can't believe people want Garrett fined at all! He even goes so far as to suggest Garrett intentionally controlled what part of the helmet he hit Rudolph with so as not to break his skull. Can you imagine if Tom Brady had been brutalized like this? Throughout the game?

Proof again that people will see what they want to see, whether it is politics or sports. Me, I'm actually trained in making objective observations and assessments and am usually pretty good at it as my work used to involve just that. But more to the point:

Watching the game again last night watching the slo-mo video in slo-mo, several more things became obvious, not the least of which was that Garrett literally:
  1. Drove Rudolph into the turf face first with a bear hug with his arms wrapped and held to his sides defenselessly unable to break his fall after wrestling him down against his will a good 2-3 seconds after the ball had already been thrown.
  2. After the two struggled a second where Rudolph struggled to control Garrett, Garrett literally grabbed Rudolph by the face mask, pulled him back to his feet with it, then pushed him back down as he pulled further with the mask to rip the helmet off him!
  3. Then when Rudolph ran around in an apparent attempt to get his helmet back from Garrett, that is when Garrett assaulted him. No one can say for sure what Rudolph's exact intentions were here at this point having had this guy pounding him and throwing him to the ground all night long any more than they can say definitively that Rudolph intended or was trying to pull Garrett's helmet off. Not that any of that matters anyway.
But an excellent observation was made last night on local sports media that the real blame in all of this really lied with the referees in not better controlling the game in what was an obviously charged and overly aggressive game from the start for all the reasons previously given made worse by the repeated lapses in the referees to maintain control. And after considering the facts, I think they make a good point:
  1. Early in the game Rudolph is hit with helmet-to-helmet and I don't think any flag was thrown.
  2. Later, Receiver Smith-Schuster is hit with another helmet-to-helmet as a defenseless player literally knocking him out on his feet and NO FLAG IS THROWN.
  3. After that, two Browns players go up to Tomlin and taunt the head coach and again, NO FLAG IS THROWN. I guess the Refs had simply gotten tired of throwing flags at the Browns.
  4. At the end of the game when Rudolph had let go of the ball 2-3 seconds earlier and Garrett hit him with a very late hit, again, incredibly, NO FLAG WAS THROWN! In fact, the referee did not throw a flag until after Garrett drove him into the turf, they struggled, then ripped the helmet off of him by the face mask! THEN a flag was finally thrown. Gee. A second flag (only two!) was thrown when Pouncey tried to make a few kicking and punching motions.
The NFL have made an absolute mess of the game these days and in the melee of penalties and angst over the violence and savagery of Garrett, a man who has already been charged three times this year with attacking players no less one other QB, I hope some attention is brought to the matter of the very poor, spotty and inconsistent refereeing again. But I think that just as with trying to blame Rudolph, this too will be overlooked in an attempt to try to not look like they are trying to pass the buck away from Garrett.

One person even commented that he had never seen both offensive AND defensive pass interference called ON THE SAME PLAY! Personally, I think the rules have gotten way out of hand and wish they would just let the players play and save the serious penalties for the truly egregious acts like this one, but in this age where no one knows how some rules are interpreted, many are totally subjective, and they now flag you 15 yards just for being happy you made a TD, we have a real refereeing problem where rules are treated widely different from night to night, not the least of which was at the end where at least FOUR 15 yard penalties should have been called against the Browns and one against the Steelers, yet they ruled them "offsetting penalties!" But I have to agree, in this case, it was the referees that let this game get so far out of control and escalate to where someone could have had his career ended, and as Tomlin is on the Rules Committee, I'm betting that in the off season, hopefully a lot more attention will be focused on this.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back