WTF are 'African Americans'?

I hope the author of this thread is not trying to make a joke. This is of course the politically correct way to reffer to black people born in America.
Tell it to my old teacher. He family was from Haiti, not Africa. She wasn't 'African American' and she didn't appreciate the closet racism entailed in the term.
Closet racism...you mean she was offended at being called an African American...how funny.

Tell it to my old teacher. He family was from Haiti, not Africa. She wasn't 'African American' and she didn't appreciate the closet racism entailed in the term.

I've never heard of a Haitian being called an African-American, nor a Jamacian.

So it's not the PC name for blacks any more? Where's the Haitian box under Race on the Census?
You haven't been to South Florida lately, have you little boy?

I hope the author of this thread is not trying to make a joke. This is of course the politically correct way to reffer to black people born in America.
Closet racism...you mean she was offended at being called an African American...how funny.
She was offended by the implications of the term- the labeling of all persons with dark skin as a monolithic group of 'Africans'- outsiders automatically to be associated with slavery and the specific cultures of African nations.

She was offended by the implications of the term- the labeling of all persons with dark skin as a monolithic group of 'Africans'- outsiders automatically to be associated with slavery and the specific cultures of African nations.
:confused: Haitians didn't have a history of enslavement?

She must have been quite the idiot...no wonder you're so stupid with a teacher like that.

Everyone has a history of enslavement. Why do you think some Whites hate being called Anglo?

You don't see how ignorant and close-minded you are when you label everyone with dark skin 'African'?

Everyone has a history of enslavement. Why do you think some Whites hate being called Anglo?

You don't see how ignorant and close-minded you are when you label everyone with dark skin 'African'?
I don't hate being called an Anglo. And I don't know anyone that does...except maybe you, for some odd reason.

Why do you think being African American is shameful?

If you're an American, why reference your heritage? What's the point?

Calling yourself African-American or IrishEnglishGerman-American or whatever isn't politically correct, it's just dumb. Just be an American because that's what you are. :rolleyes:

How 'bout just calling them Americans?

Because they weren't considered Americans when the Constitution was signed.

It's 2011. Get over it. I don't hear the Italians and the Chinese crying.

It's been 70 years. Move on.

It's been 57 years. If they don't want to be Americans, why did they complain?
and they still are not free to move into certain American neighborhoods without being ostracized, openly or subtly.

And? Nor can I.
So they distinguish themselves as Africans first

Not as people? And for the record, it was Whites who distinguished them as Africans first.

Your next bit of closet racism?

You asked, I responded. If you don't like the answer, tough. Truth hurts, I know.

Badunka dunk!

I long for the day we can drop the subtitle and just call ourselves Americans! I mean I don't hear Polish citizens of Canada call themselves Polish Canadians!

It's been my experience that white people who have a problem with blacks referring to themselves as African Americans are pissed because they didn't think of it. As long as we refer to ourselves by a name that white people assigned us, they're cool.

It's been my experience that white people who have a problem with blacks referring to themselves as African Americans are pissed because they didn't think of it. As long as we refer to ourselves by a name that white people assigned us, they're cool.

I don't get why white people are so pissed about the African-American thing anyways, alot of people refer to themselves as Italian-American, Irish-American, Russian-American etc etc

Forum List

Back