WTF are 'African Americans'?

It's been my experience that white people who have a problem with blacks referring to themselves as African Americans are pissed because they didn't think of it. As long as we refer to ourselves by a name that white people assigned us, they're cool.

I don't know of any white person that is pissed off over the term african American. I do know many that think it's divisive and unneccessary.

Don't flatter yourself!

I hope the author of this thread is not trying to make a joke. This is of course the politically correct way to reffer to black people born in America.

Badunka dunk!

I hope the author of this thread is not trying to make a joke. This is of course the politically correct way to reffer to black people born in America.

I long for the day we can drop the subtitle and just call ourselves Americans! I mean I don't hear Polish citizens of Canada call themselves Polish Canadians!
Actually, they do.

Polish Canadians - Information Service

And no one ever gets their panties in a twist over other groups that have an adjective in front of American. Irish Americans. German Americans. Polish Americans.

Only African Americans. My theory on why that is is because you nimrods see the word African, think slave and feel guilty.

Well fucking too bad.

Either you're African or American, you can't be both.

Bullshit.

Great debating skills.

Fact is moron only a tiny fraction of blacks living in America have ever been to Africa, much less having been born there. Blacks in America are no more African than I am.

Your post is bullshit because there are alot of Africans who carry dual nationality, from both their country in Africa and from here, so your theory that you cant be African and American is bullshit.

Badunka dunk!

I long for the day we can drop the subtitle and just call ourselves Americans! I mean I don't hear Polish citizens of Canada call themselves Polish Canadians!
Actually, they do.

Polish Canadians - Information Service

And no one ever gets their panties in a twist over other groups that have an adjective in front of American. Irish Americans. German Americans. Polish Americans.

Only African Americans. My theory on why that is is because you nimrods see the word African, think slave and feel guilty.

Well fucking too bad.

It is ok for white people to call themselves whatever they want, Italian-American, German-American, Russian-American, whatever. When Black people do it, its silly and useless.

Bullshit.

Great debating skills.

Fact is moron only a tiny fraction of blacks living in America have ever been to Africa, much less having been born there. Blacks in America are no more African than I am.

You mean my direct lineage to Ireland doesn't make me an Irish American? Oh wait. I'm white. Nevermind. Then there were Japanese Americans who were interred in camps after Pearl Harbor. Eventually they were smart enough to drop the Japanese part in order to integrate into society. So it must be that black Americans are too proud of their heritage, in spite of the difficulty of integrating into this lilly white society.

Tell it to my old teacher. He family was from Haiti, not Africa. She wasn't 'African American' and she didn't appreciate the closet racism entailed in the term.

I've never heard of a Haitian being called an African-American, nor a Jamacian.

So it's not the PC name for blacks any more? Where's the Haitian box under Race on the Census?

Duh ~~

What is Person 1’s race? Mark one or more boxes.
White
Black, African Am., or Negro
American Indian or Alaska Native — Print name of enrolled or principal tribe.
Asian Indian
Chinese
Filipino
Japanese
Korean
Vietnamese
Native Hawaiian
Guamanian or Chamorro
Samoan
Other Pacific Islander - Print race, for example, Fijian, Tongan, and so on.
Other Asian - Print race, for example, Hmong, Laotian, Thai, Pakistani, Cambodian, and so on.

Everyone has a history of enslavement. Why do you think some Whites hate being called Anglo?

You don't see how ignorant and close-minded you are when you label everyone with dark skin 'African'?
I don't hate being called an Anglo. And I don't know anyone that does...except maybe you, for some odd reason.

Why do you think being African American is shameful?

The term WASP used to be insulting to whites, meaning White Anglo Saxon Protestant, but I haven't heard it commonly used in years.

Bullshit.

Great debating skills.

The scientific evidence that we're all from Africa must freak you out.

Africa Genome | We're all Africans | Darwin 200

But we're not all Texans!

The only issue I have with the term African American is if it is used as a racial label, rather than one of nationality/heritage. I also don't like Asian as a racial label; there are quite a lot of people living in Asia who would not be called Asian when talking about race.

It's certainly not a big deal, it's more an annoyance.

Only African Americans.
There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all.
This is just as true of the man who puts “native” before the hyphen as of the man who puts German or Irish or English or French before the hyphen. Americanism is a matter of the spirit and of the soul. Our allegiance must be purely to the United States. We must unsparingly condemn any man who holds any other allegiance.
But if he is heartily and singly loyal to this Republic, then no matter where he was born, he is just as good an American as any one else
-Teddy

I've never heard of a Haitian being called an African-American, nor a Jamacian.

So it's not the PC name for blacks any more? Where's the Haitian box under Race on the Census?

Duh ~~

White
Asian Indian
Chinese
Filipino
Japanese
Korean
Vietnamese
Native Hawaiian
Guamanian or Chamorro
Samoan
Other Asian - Print race, for example, Hmong, Laotian, Thai, Pakistani, Cambodian, and so on.

Is 'race' the same as 'ethnicity'?

Why is it 'American Indian'? It should be 'Native American' because they're not Indians at all.

What's the difference between 'black', 'African American' and 'negro'?

Duh ~~

White
Asian Indian
Chinese
Filipino
Japanese
Korean
Vietnamese
Native Hawaiian
Guamanian or Chamorro
Samoan

Is 'race' the same as 'ethnicity'?

Why is it 'American Indian'? It should be 'Native American' because they're not Indians at all.

What's the difference between 'black', 'African American' and 'negro'?

I'm reminded of a scene from the Simpsons featuring Homer, Lisa, and Apu going around in circles over 'American Indian' and 'Native American'

Forum List

Back