WSJ: Himalayan Glaciers Are Melting at Furious Rate, New Study Shows

I'm neutral on the issue, but I live less than 10 mi away from a decommissioned nuclear power plant. I was sorry to see it decommissioned. I'd much prefer a nuclear power plant over a coal-powered electric plant. I just don't know enough about it. The one around here ran clean and safely for 40 years. That was definitely a plus. I don't know what they did with the waste, we were in a compact with several other states but somehow that fell through and I don't know whatever happened.

I'd much prefer a nuclear power plant over a coal-powered electric plant.

Tell your green friends.

The one around here ran clean and safely for 40 years. That was definitely a plus.

Yup. Large amounts of reliable power, zero CO2. Tell your green friends.

I don't know what they did with the waste, we were in a compact with several other states but somehow that fell through and I don't know whatever happened.

Harry Reid and the democrats killed it.

Funny but again not funny.

It was hilarious!!!

Did you change the wording on what I said ?

Did I?

the blame belongs to the entire human race for the continued rape of the planet.

She should call the planet police.

That makes significant difference from the wording you posted.

Does it?

We all share the blame for what has happened, especially the advanced nations of the West.

Yup. So how many new nuke plants should we build?
I'm glad you're having fun with this, I take the issue seriously, but not seriously enough to lose sleep over it or to talk about it incessantly.

Himalayan glaciers melting at unprecedented rate, threaten region's water supply- study​

A new study examining the ice loss of the Himalayan glaciers since the Little Ice Age has shown that they are melting at an unprecedented rate in comparison to the previous seven centuries.​

"...The Himalayan glaciers have undergone rapid ice loss over the last four decades that far exceeds the ice loss recorded in other places across the world during the same period.
Not only that, however, but the ice has melted at a significantly more accelerated rate in the past 40 years than it did during the previous seven centuries, a new study has found.
[.....]
The Himalayan Glaciers contain the third-largest deposit of snow and ice in the world, exceeded only by the Arctic and Antarctica. The Himalayan range encompasses just under 15,000 glaciers including key peaks in the Mount Everest region.
[.....]

`

Last edited:
We can't get our own government to accept responsibility for the situation. How on Earth you expect anyone here to force other Nations to be responsible. I'm very concerned that no concrete efforts will be made until it's almost too late until there is no doubt in anyone's mind that the world is changing and it's not for the better.
Chain yourself to the Chinese Embassy

The Leftist view that Mankind is an invasive species on this planet is just further evidence that few, if any, of them has ever actually worked for a living.

We own this planet. OF COURSE we are going to exploit its resources.

The Leftist view that Mankind is an invasive species on this planet is just further evidence that few, if any, of them has ever actually worked for a living.

We own this planet. OF COURSE we are going to exploit its resources.
Too much of anything is obviously no good, and everything has a limit, including a given population's sustainability.
Nothing "leftist" about it Dogs49.
`

Only morons use the term figurately.
LINK for that claim?
And again, you NEVER post on topic, just your hostility.

Just bash the expert opinion I share/post with your uneducated drivel.
You have ZERO backing for your opinions, just a vague RW lean.
A completely empty Dishonorably Discharged loser.
(you shoulda spent the time learning something/anything)
`

The only Hysteria I see is coming from those who deny climate change. The climate change people keep giving us more and more examples of how it is affecting us and they're doing it in a calm manner.
Your side is predicting global diaster

at its worst melting of the ice cap and flooding of coastal cities all over the world

but now you come along and pretend that greenies are being calm about it?

dont make me laugh

And my point remains unrefuted by anyone here including abu afak and Stann

which is till greenies embrace nuclear power they are just peddling bullshit about the alleged man made global warming diaster

And my point remains unrefuted by anyone here including abu afak and Stann

which is till greenies embrace nuclear power they are just peddling bullshit about the alleged man made global warming diaster
Bad Premise. Getting to high 60-80% de-Carb is very possible. (and then adding/leaving some carbon and sequestration)
If one has to make the "100%" strawman it's indeed easy to shoot down.
We're a long way from worrying about the non-fossil needed portion.

A good article on this:

"...Two papers circulated widely among energy nerds in 2017 cast a skeptical eye on the goal of 100% renewables.​
One was a literature review on the subject, self-published by the Energy Innovation Reform Project (EIRP), authored by Jesse Jenkins and Samuel Thernstrom. It looked at a range of studies on deep decarbonization in the electricity sector and tried to extract some lessons.​
The other was a paper in the journal Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews that boasted “a comprehensive review of the feasibility of 100% renewable-electricity systems.” It was by B.P. Heard, B.W. Brook, T.M.L. Wigley, and C.J.A. Bradshaw, who, it should be noted, are advocates for nuclear power.​
We’ll take them one at a time.​

Most current models find that deep decarbonization is cheaper with dispatchable power plants​

Jenkins and Thernstrom rounded up 30 studies on deep decarbonization, all published since 2014, when the most recent comprehensive report was released by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). The studies focused on decarbonizing different areas of different sizes, from regional to global, and used different methods, so there is not an easy apples-to-apples comparison across them, but there were some common themes.​
To cut to the chase: The models that optimize for the lowest-cost path to zero carbon electricity — and do not rule out nuclear and CCS a priori — generally find that it is cheaper to get there with than without them.​
Today’s models, at least, appear to agree that “a diversified mix of low-CO2 generation resources” add up to a more cost-effective path to deep decarbonization than 100% renewables. This is particularly true above 60% or 80% decarbonization, when the costs of the renewables-only option rise sharply.​
Again, it’s all about balancing out VRE. The easiest way to do that is with fast, flexible natural gas plants, but you can’t get past around 60% decarbonization with a large fleet of gas plants running. Getting to 80% or beyond means closing or idling lots of those plants. So you need other balancing options.​
One is to...."​

`

Last edited:
I'd much prefer a nuclear power plant over a coal-powered electric plant.

Tell your green friends.

The one around here ran clean and safely for 40 years. That was definitely a plus.

Yup. Large amounts of reliable power, zero CO2. Tell your green friends.

I don't know what they did with the waste, we were in a compact with several other states but somehow that fell through and I don't know whatever happened.

Harry Reid and the democrats killed it.
Nuclear is extremely expensive, and not safe. When private insurance companies will insure the plants, then we can be sure that there is a reasonable safety margin. We can power this nation entirely with wind and solar. Ad in hydro and other clean power sources, and there is not problem with powering this nation except this power funnels less money to the wealthiest people.

Anything and anyone can be 'raped' without a sexual act being performed.
The word very oft used figuratively.

You're now Dismissed/Dishonorably Discharged.. again.

`
Like how you CCP Masters raped the South China Seas and you never said a peep?

Forum List

Back