Wrestling great Dusty Rhodes dead at 69.

i wonder if wwe fans have any idea who started the trend of playing music as the stars walked out. i do. if i am right, it was for a particular female wrestler, and after she came on the scene, thats when the music came in. also, i also remember when the "Wrestler Sketches/Stories/Situations came into play. they never had running stories/soap operas till Rick Rude hit the scene. anyone remember his feud that started the soap opera phase of the wwwf?

i can still remember watching him when I was ???? forgot how old. must of been late 70's when he was in his prime i guess. I forgot!
It was indeed the 70's. Another one of his rivals was Cowboy Bill Watts.
the 70's, the decade of the greatest wrestler ever. Bruno Sammartino. till this day, no one holds a candle!
60's too. Gorilla Monsoon, Hans Mortier, Sailor Art Thomas, Bobo Brazil, Haystack Calhoon, remember those guys?
Yukon Eric,Antonio Rocca,the Beast,Freddie Blassie,Killer Kowalski,the Iron Shiek.....never heard of im....lol....great memories...

i wonder if wwe fans have any idea who started the trend of playing music as the stars walked out. i do. if i am right, it was for a particular female wrestler, and after she came on the scene, thats when the music came in. also, i also remember when the "Wrestler Sketches/Stories/Situations came into play. they never had running stories/soap operas till Rick Rude hit the scene. anyone remember his feud that started the soap opera phase of the wwwf?
a particular female wrestler
the Fabulous Moolah?.....

i can still remember watching him when I was ???? forgot how old. must of been late 70's when he was in his prime i guess. I forgot!
It was indeed the 70's. Another one of his rivals was Cowboy Bill Watts.
the 70's, the decade of the greatest wrestler ever. Bruno Sammartino. till this day, no one holds a candle!
60's too. Gorilla Monsoon, Hans Mortier, Sailor Art Thomas, Bobo Brazil, Haystack Calhoon, remember those guys?
Yukon Eric,Antonio Rocca,the Beast,Freddie Blassie,Killer Kowalski,the Iron Shiek.....never heard of im....lol....great memories...
bruno%202.jpg

I saw Primo Carnera at a state fair in the 50's, long after he was no longer heavyweight boxing champ....He'd become a wrestler to make some money.....the guy was HUGE!

Primo+Carnera+and+Fidel+LaBarbara+Flyweight+Champ+c.1929.jpg

I saw Primo Carnera at a state fair in the 50's, long after he was no longer heavyweight boxing champ....He'd become a wrestler to make some money.....the guy was HUGE!

Primo+Carnera+and+Fidel+LaBarbara+Flyweight+Champ+c.1929.jpg

I met Danny Little Bear in a Crystal Burger in Metry(Metairie) LA.

Fucker was living in a brokedown bus, dining on 15 cent burgers, fries and shakes.

Wrasslin', what a life?????

no, but close, it was her apponment in the first wrestlemania. it was Cindy Lauper that started the trend. and it was that new wrestler she was managing. forgot her name. and she beat the fabulous moolah. (or was it the second wrestlemania)

Going to see them in person(at least at a civic center) is sort of deflating. The only time I ever went was to see,the hulk with one of my kids. The lower card matches were really a joke with scrawny 160 pound guys being announced as 220. At that time I could have beat all,of em including rowdy piper but when the hulk came on he towered over everyone and his sticht was worth the price of admission. I wouldn't pay to go again cause I don't want the bubble to burst, we don't have enough opportunities to escape from reality, or maybe we do.

no, but close, it was her apponment in the first wrestlemania. it was Cindy Lauper that started the trend. and it was that new wrestler she was managing. forgot her name. and she beat the fabulous moolah. (or was it the second wrestlemania)
there were earlier people.....Gorgeous George for one....

The match-up in my day in Detroit was "Leaping Larry" Chene vs. "Dick the Bruiser"...

chene-larry-11.jpg

dickthebruiserwithWWAbelt3.jpg

Larry's put-away move was the flying head-scissors while the Bruiser just beat guys with his fists followed by an atomic-drop. Larry was World Champ until he and his car ran into a telephone pole. :smoke:

Last edited:
Never was a big fan of rassling, but i liked Dusty. Ugliest man in america but he called himself The American Dream.

WWE legend Dusty Rhodes dies at 69 Fox News

june 11 2015
Wrestling legend Dusty Rhodes died Thursday morning. He was 69.

The pro wrestler, whose real name was Virgil Runnels was famously known as "The American Dream." The cause of death is unknown.

"Runnels became a hero to fans around the world thanks to his work ethic, his impassioned interviews and his indomitable spirit.," the WWE told FOX411 in a statement. "Moreover, Runnels was a dedicated father...a caring husband and a creative visionary who helped shape the landscape of WWE long after his in-ring career had ended."
He called himself 'The American Dream'

The son of a plumber, who achieved 3 world championship reigns, and passed on with an estate worth an estimated 3 million dollars.

He played to the hard working, common class, and could cut a promo better than any man alive, save for maybe Roddy Piper.

He made the Road Warriors, and many other wrestlers famous, I believe he is credited with first suggesting ring entrance music.

And he was worth the price of admission, as you would laugh your ass off, and enjoy the show he put on, he was an entertainer, much more than a wrestler, and his best nights were always at house shows with no cameras running.

Some of the greatest matches I ever saw were him and Arn Anderson with Tommy Young as referee. They locked up, and AA pulled dusty's hair, next time dusty pulled AA's hair, AA complained to Young, and pulled Young's hair, Young jumped up and pulled AA's hair, while Dusty yucked it up in the corner. This kind of stuff lasted for a good 15 minutes, and the fans ate it up.

Dusty was great, and there is no one in wrestling like him anymore,

There was soap opera in wrestling long before Rick Rude.

Baby Doll, Tully Blanchard(before the Horsemen), and Dusty had a big thing before anyone ever heard of Rick Rude. In the WWWF Killer Khan breaking Andre's leg, or Sammartino vs. Zybysco would be considered soaps/stories, long before Rick Rude ever came to the WWF. and the soap you are referring to involves Jake the snake Roberts and his wife from back in '88' I can name a lot more before that.

Wendi Richter did not start the music coming to the ring, it was going on in NWA before that, check out the Road Warriors(I am Iron Man), and many of the very famous wrestlers used music, mostly classical, for their entrances as far back as the 40's, Gorgeous George for example. McMahon took the idea and run with it, as he did with most good ideas.

Check out some of the youtube video's of Starcade 82(a Flair for the gold) a good 2 and half years before the first WrestleMania.

Baby Doll, Tully Blanchard(before the Horsemen), and Dusty had a big thing before anyone ever heard of Rick Rude. In the WWWF Killer Khan breaking Andre's leg, or Sammartino vs. Zybysco would be considered soaps/stories, long before Rick Rude ever came to the WWF. and the soap you are referring to involves Jake the snake Roberts and his wife from back in '88' I can name a lot more before that.

Wendi Richter did not start the music coming to the ring, it was going on in NWA before that, check out the Road Warriors(I am Iron Man), and many of the very famous wrestlers used music, mostly classical, for their entrances as far back as the 40's, Gorgeous George for example. McMahon took the idea and run with it, as he did with most good ideas.
well when cindy lauper came on the scene, that was the first time i ever heard music. with rick rude vs jake the snake, that was the first soap opera i can recall. and so sad that he died, I loved Rick Rude!

well when cindy lauper came on the scene, that was the first time i ever heard music. with rick rude vs jake the snake, that was the first soap opera i can recall. and so sad that he died, I loved Rick Rude!
did you ever see any old 50's and 60's guys?.....a few had musical entrances....the guys from the 80's just expanded what came before them....

there was music but no showman ship....i think that is the difference harry...they simply walked to the ring with music...i dont watch the new stuff....

miss elizabeth....and randy savage?

Forum List

Back