Zone1 Wrecker Libertarianism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
From Brian Beutler's latest newsletter, talking about how these "libertarian" startups want to avoid any government regulation, then rely on government to clean up their messes, and spend taxpayer money trying to save them.

Before the U.S. Coast Guard discovered the remains of the tourist submersible in a debris field near where the Titanic sank, the startup that built the vessel had already used various platforms to slough responsibility for its own heedless adventurism on to the U.S. government.

“When I communicate with the U.S. government, I get ‘out of office’ replies, not from everyone, but from key people that have a signoff on this,” said David Concannon, an adviser to OceanGate. “That’s unacceptable.”

Concannon would later add, “I hope to get a few hours of sleep, wake up and see very positive responses from the U.S. government in my Inbox. If I don’t, the whole world will know the names of the people who did not do their jobs.”

My friend Eve Fairbanks noticed this and wrote, “Somebody simply has to write the ultimate catch-all essay on disruptive, libertarian, private-sector-touting entrepreneurs simply begging and demanding for state intervention at the end of their journeys.”

I can’t write the ultimate catch-all essay on any topic in 48 hours, but I'm gunning to be first to respond to her prompt at length, because we really do see this over and over again on the greediest frontiers of wealth and power. And I think what we’ve seen in the past several years is the formation of a more conscious ethic, and even a partisan political movement, of wreckers—people who’ve never taken libertarianism or any ideology seriously, but find libertarian jargon and histrionics useful on both ends of their journey: at the outset, when they clamor for investment money and demand regulatory forbearance; and the end, when they blame governments for their messes and insist they (we) foot the bill for the cleanup.

When space tourism has a major incident will it stop them?
Not as long as they can count on U.S. taxpayers to clean up their messes.

I say if you avoid and disregard all regulations, you're on your own. If you cause public cost, you're on the hook for it and can't declare bankruptcy to avoid it.

Libertarianism is the soul of America. Embrace it and demand it from others or you will race all of the West to the bottom in dramatic fashiion.
True libertarianism embraces no drug laws (Portland) prostitution, OPEN BORDERS, and abortion "rights."

America is absolutely NOT a libertarian country

From Brian Beutler's latest newsletter, talking about how these "libertarian" startups want to avoid any government regulation, then rely on government to clean up their messes, and spend taxpayer money trying to save them.

Before the U.S. Coast Guard discovered the remains of the tourist submersible in a debris field near where the Titanic sank, the startup that built the vessel had already used various platforms to slough responsibility for its own heedless adventurism on to the U.S. government.

“When I communicate with the U.S. government, I get ‘out of office’ replies, not from everyone, but from key people that have a signoff on this,” said David Concannon, an adviser to OceanGate. “That’s unacceptable.”

Concannon would later add, “I hope to get a few hours of sleep, wake up and see very positive responses from the U.S. government in my Inbox. If I don’t, the whole world will know the names of the people who did not do their jobs.”

My friend Eve Fairbanks noticed this and wrote, “Somebody simply has to write the ultimate catch-all essay on disruptive, libertarian, private-sector-touting entrepreneurs simply begging and demanding for state intervention at the end of their journeys.”

I can’t write the ultimate catch-all essay on any topic in 48 hours, but I'm gunning to be first to respond to her prompt at length, because we really do see this over and over again on the greediest frontiers of wealth and power. And I think what we’ve seen in the past several years is the formation of a more conscious ethic, and even a partisan political movement, of wreckers—people who’ve never taken libertarianism or any ideology seriously, but find libertarian jargon and histrionics useful on both ends of their journey: at the outset, when they clamor for investment money and demand regulatory forbearance; and the end, when they blame governments for their messes and insist they (we) foot the bill for the cleanup.
They were billionaires. Their estates could be charged. Surviving family of the youngest passenger should sue. He was undoubtedly sold a bill of goods by those who should have known better.

They were billionaires. Their estates could be charged. Surviving family of the youngest passenger should sue. He was undoubtedly sold a bill of goods by those who should have known better.
From what I understand there were many waivers signed, so that may be difficult. Rich men are assumed to know what they are signing, and that their lawyers signed off.

From what I understand there were many waivers signed, so that may be difficult. Rich men are assumed to know what they are signing, and that their lawyers signed off.
That’s why I only mentioned the young guy. I assumed the others knew their own minds, but the ute, I’m not so sure.

That’s why I only mentioned the young guy. I assumed the others knew their own minds, but the ute, I’m not so sure.
He, unfortunately, trusted his father's judgement. He's the only one I feel bad about, frankly.

Many of these pro-capitalist advocates argue that 'free markets' and the private sector are inherently more effective and efficient than government-led, public-sector projects and programs. However, this narrative often overlooks the fundamental role that government plays in enabling and sustaining a functioning capitalist system. Firstly, the very notion of a free market is predicated on a legal framework enforced by the government. This includes property rights, contract enforcement, and regulations to maintain competition - all supported by a judicial system and law enforcement.

The government also plays a pivotal role in the provision of public goods, which are essential for a thriving capitalist economy. Infrastructure is one such public good - highways, bridges, ports, and the electric grid, just to name a few. These are largely funded, constructed, and maintained by the government. The internet itself, which is now integral to the global economy, was initially developed through government research funded by the United States Department of Defense's ARPANET project.

Moreover, government-issued currency is the very lifeblood of the capitalist system. Central banks, often government institutions operating under government mandates, manage monetary policy which includes controlling inflation and interest rates. These are crucial levers for maintaining economic stability.

Government also has a role in education and workforce development, providing the skilled labor that businesses need to operate. Public education and training programs are essential for the development of human capital, and by extension, economic growth.

Additionally, the government plays a significant role in stabilizing the economy during financial crises. History has shown that the private sector is susceptible to cycles of booms and busts. In times of economic downturns, governments have often stepped in to bail out key industries or even entire economic systems, using taxpayer funds. For example, during the 2008 financial crisis, the U.S. government implemented the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) to prevent the collapse of the banking sector.

This brings us to an often-criticized aspect of capitalism, which is the tendency for the private sector to privatize profits and socialize losses. When large corporations or big business is doing well, the profits are kept private. However, when they falter, they often turn to the government (and by extension, the public) for help, as seen in the aforementioned bailouts.

References:

1. “History of the Internet.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, Link.
  2. “Troubled Asset Relief Program.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, Link.
  3. Mazzucato, Mariana. The Entrepreneurial State: Debunking Public vs. Private Sector Myths. Anthem Press, 2013.
  4. “Property Rights and Contract Law.” U.S. Department of State, Link.

Last edited:
When space tourism has a major incident will it stop them?
Space tourism is actually a lot less dangerous. Once you’re in space, you just have to deal with the difference of -0 atmospheres and one atmosphere. Titan had to manage the difference between one atmosphere and nearly 400!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back