Wow, rip Neil Peart

What are your favorite songs by Rush? My 5 favorites are 1) La Villa Strangiato - The best rock instrumental I've heard. 2) Tom Sawyer - where popularity (It got LOTS of airplay.) meets virtuosity. 3) YYZ - another fantastic instrumental. 4) Red Barchetta - great song about a car and driving on the open road. 5) The Spirit Of Radio - possibly THE first song I heard by Rush, I still love this song.

La Villa Strangiato is my favorite by Rush too. I've posted it several times on different threads here actually. This is my favorite live version. Alex Lifeson is amazing too! At least something good comes from Canada! :eusa_dance:

What are your favorite songs by Rush? My 5 favorites are 1) La Villa Strangiato - The best rock instrumental I've heard. 2) Tom Sawyer - where popularity (It got LOTS of airplay.) meets virtuosity. 3) YYZ - another fantastic instrumental. 4) Red Barchetta - great song about a car and driving on the open road. 5) The Spirit Of Radio - possibly THE first song I heard by Rush, I still love this song.

La Villa Strangiato is my favorite by Rush too. I've posted it several times on different threads here actually. This is my favorite live version. Alex Lifeson is amazing too! At least something good comes from Canada! :eusa_dance:

The musicianship is just unbelievable in this song. I get goosebumps when I listen to this one!

The musicianship is just unbelievable in this song. I get goosebumps when I listen to this one!

At like 1:40 in the video. You can really see what an awesome guitarist Alex is.

RIP, Neil Peart. You not only had the beat, you shared the open road with others in your writings. I toast a true Renaissance Man. :beer:

Geddy Lee hasn't been able to hit those notes in 30 years ...at least
All 3 just extremely talented musicians
Attention all planets of tHe solar federation....we have assumed control .....we have assumed control..

Today Canada sends us justin bieber
Gay
And I'm still having a hard time forgiving them for loverboy
Pfft extra gay

Hard to believe the sound they get out of three members

Neil Peart Was Freethinking Drummer/Lyricist for Rush

'But his drumming virtuosity is not central to my point. Peart was known for his lyrical themes of sci-fantasy, philosophy, and Ayn Rand libertarianism. (I even wrote an end-of-the-semester paper in my college literature class comparing the lyrics and storyline from the dystopian-themed Rush album "2112" to the story of Adam and Eve.) But what I really appreciated were Peart's songs that touched on freethinking. Foremost, it was the song "Free Will," off the band's 1980 album "Permanent Waves," that really hooked me. At that time, I was a sophomore in high school and was pretty certain that I was an atheist. Hearing that song helped cement my disbelief. It made me realize that I wasn't so "out there" to be skeptical of religion and the idea of God. To have a great drummer and lyricist like Neil Peart share my (non)belief, well, that immediately endeared him to me even more.
People assumed Peart was an atheist by his words and actions, although he never called himself that. He once said in an interview that he was "a linear agnostic," whatever that means.

"Tom Sawyer" (1981)
No, his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is'
(PJ Slinger, Neil Pert Was Freethinking Drummer, Freethought Today, Mar 2020)

3 Feb 2015 Peart Interview

Timepoint 49:46 discourse on god begins

Timepoint 53:02 Africa and spirituality

Timepoint 53:30 Clockwork Angels "lean not upon your own understanding"

Timepoint 55:27 "No, there was never a time when I believed"

Peart questioned the apparent essentiality of religion. We would like to have heard Peart's take today on Putin's current attempt to manipulate and merge the political with the spiritual in the Russian Constitution. If he'd been in the field of politics....

Neil's lyrics are like a 'Bible' to me.

"You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice..."

Ten score years ago, defeat the kingly foe
A wondrous dream came into being
Tame the trackless waste, no virgin land left chaste
All shining eyes, but never seeing

[Chorus:]
Beneath the noble bird
Between the proudest words
Behind the beauty, cracks appear
Once with heads held high
They sang out to the sky
Why do their shadows bow in fear?

Watch the cities rise
Another ship arrives
Earth's melting pot and ever growing
Fantastic dreams come true
Inventing something new
The greatest minds, and never knowing

[Chorus]

The guns replace the plow, facades are tarnished now
The principles have been betrayed
The dreams's gone stale, but still, let hope prevail
History's debt won't be repaid

Peart mentions in the interview how nice it is to hold/read a book, the 'celestial voice' could be taken as that customized, psychoacoustic space that resonates in every individual.

Comments: "This is America's Real National Anthem"

According to the Rush website, in #57 and #58, the chorus is 'beneath the noble birth,' not 'bird.'

Forum List

Back