Would You Remove?

When and why it was erected is important. If it was erected soon after the civil war, it would be a historic monument commemorating the actions of the soldier. That is not when or why it was erected. Instead, it was erected in 1965, in the middle of the civil rights movement as an insult to those fighting for racial equality. If it was intended to honor him personally, instead of the segregation that he fought for, it would have been erected much sooner. Many confederate statues were erected near the same time, and for the same purpose. They are not historical monuments. They are political statements supporting segregation.

So you’d be for removing it?

Yep.

The Confederate soldier’s name was Kirkland.

And?

And you never heard of The Angel of Marye’s Heights?

Seems the OP was a bit disingenuous. Given that the statue was one of the many erected near that time for the explicit purpose of showing opposition to the civil rights movement, and the OP's questionable choice to not supply more pertinent information, there was no reason to see the statue as more than a racist finger in the eye of the equality that the US represents. I'm disappointed, but not surprised at such an obvious effort to elicit a particular response by non disclosure of further details. In this particular case, I have to change my mind about the appropriateness of that statue. Evidently, his actions were certainly worthy of honor, and the statue should remain where it is. Don't think this will have any bearing on my opinion of the many hateful statues that were erected during the heated civil rights movement for the express purpose of insulting people of color.

So you’d be for removing it?

Yep.

And?

Seems the OP was a bit disingenuous. Given that the statue was one of the many erected near that time for the explicit purpose of showing opposition to the civil rights movement, and the OP's questionable choice to not supply more pertinent information, there was no reason to see the statue as more than a racist finger in the eye of the equality that the US represents. I'm disappointed, but not surprised at such an obvious effort to elicit a particular response by non disclosure of further details. In this particular case, I have to change my mind about the appropriateness of that statue. Evidently, his actions were certainly worthy of honor, and the statue should remain where it is. Don't think this will have any bearing on my opinion of the many hateful statues that were erected during the heated civil rights movement for the express purpose of insulting people of color.

Maybe it will teach you something about how your knees jerk. Maybe reasoned discourse between opposing points of view starts something like this.

Where is the statue and when was it erected?

Fredericksburg
Just in time to show they were pissed off by the civil rights movement.

No reason to honor treason

How does your foot taste?

How does it feel to post such a disingenuous OP? Why are all right wing threads either a blatant lie, or a misrepresentation of facts to the point of being a lie?

I don’t blame you for feeling embarrassed. Next time, think before you emote.

In Virginia, there is a statue honoring a Confederate soldier who fought for the rebels in several major battles of the American Civil War. He was eventually killed at the Battle of Chickamauga. Would any or all here be in favor of removing this monument, given how much rancor has been generated over such things in recent years?

Hell no.

See: Mao Zedong's handbook for cultural revolution.

Hint: It involves erasing history.

And?

Maybe it will teach you something about how your knees jerk. Maybe reasoned discourse between opposing points of view starts something like this.

With you posting what is effectively a lie? You bet.

Where is the statue and when was it erected?

Fredericksburg
Just in time to show they were pissed off by the civil rights movement.

No reason to honor treason

How does your foot taste?

How does it feel to post such a disingenuous OP? Why are all right wing threads either a blatant lie, or a misrepresentation of facts to the point of being a lie?

I don’t blame you for feeling embarrassed. Next time, think before you emote.

I'm not the least bit embarrassed. I'm just more convinced that RWNJs are unable to have an honest discussion. That's what you were going for, wasn't it?

I’m not good with doing anything that appeases a snowflake. It’s time for those idiots to grow up and leave their bubble.

And?

I did not lie. You are lashing out because you embarrassed yourself.

I did not lie. You are lashing out because you embarrassed yourself.

I have no need to convince you otherwise, so think what you will. Your intentional withholding of relevant information to elicit a specific response was dishonest, but not surprising for a right winger.

To remove the statue would be akin to the Taliban, Al Qaeda, and ISIS destroying ancient historical monuments.

I know the Democrats are anxious to sweep their history under the rug but like they say, "Those who don't remember the past are doomed to repeat it."
"Change The Man By Changing His Environment"

Their Kind Have Never Changed

In Virginia, there is a statue honoring a Confederate soldier who fought for the rebels in several major battles of the American Civil War. He was eventually killed at the Battle of Chickamauga. Would any or all here be in favor of removing this monument, given how much rancor has been generated over such things in recent years?
Why are they honoring a traitor and loser? Hell yes it should be removed.

th

Considering that federal law says that all the Confederate vets are supposed to be treated and honored as United States veterans I say "NO it should remain standing".

*****SMILE*****

:)

You got a citation for that claim?

Why are they honoring a traitor and loser? Hell yes it should be removed.

The OP is a virtual lie. That particular soldier is worthy of respect and a statue, but the OP chose to not include that part of the story in order to elicit the response he got from you, and my initial response as well. The OP didn't even mention the soldier's name, also to elicit the response. Just more dishonest right wing bullshit.
Richard Rowland Kirkland - Wikipedia

Lafayette's gotta go.

Still, better now then when it was originally put up with the horse's ass facing the people driving bay.

download.jpg

Took a fundraiser in the neighbor to get it turned abound.

Still, it's a Frenchie.

It's gotta go!

download-1.jpg

If we want a statue of a FROG, let's get a cute one!

It should never have been erected. Such memorials should be in dedicated facilities, privately owned.

What would sane Americans say about Nazi historical figures being similarly honored in Germany? The comparison is not that far off.
They are you must have missed the TV show on it. I have not problem about it for it is a reminder of the time and crimes committed against people. Without these reminders History could be rewritten by those who want to make it disappear.

Forum List

Back