Would it be reasonable to require PBS to refrain from news coverage?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
I personally like the PBS music specials, Austin City Limits, documentaries etc. I have no problem with my tax dollars supporting that type of programming which appeals to all member of the public. But when Public Broadcasting Service enters into the political realm and injects their clear bias for Democrats into all of their news shows, haven't they ceased being a "Public Broadcast Service"? My thought is to retain PBS but have them drop their news coverage. I'll even put up with Obama's stooge Henry Louis Gates and his Roots program. But I say the PBS news broadcasts need to go since they are only serving the interests of Democrats and not the general public.

I personally like the PBS music specials, Austin City Limits, documentaries etc. I have no problem with my tax dollars supporting that type of programming which appeals to all member of the public. But when Public Broadcasting Service enters into the political realm and injects their clear bias for Democrats into all of their news shows, haven't they ceased being a "Public Broadcast Service"? My thought is to retain PBS but have them drop their news coverage. I'll even put up with Obama's stooge Henry Louis Gates and his Roots program. But I say the PBS news broadcasts need to go since they are only serving the interests of Democrats and not the general public.
The news they cover is pretty much the same major news stories that all the MSM covers, including Fox and CNN. I don't deny they have a liberal lean, but they're a lot less frantic about it than CNN or NBC. They do some in depth reporting on topics people don't know much about. It's pretty informative.

They already refrain from reporting the news--they are a mouthpiece for the MSM. LOL. Seriously, I think it is a great idea, but there are to many liberal groups that provide a lot of financial support to indoctrinate viewers to their agenda.

PBS doesn't receive any direct federal.funding. they do receive some from CPB but they are 90%+ funded by private donations. So is NPR BTW.

PBS has the politician or others right there to answer questions live. So we know its not fake news. I watch it along with my Sunday news shows and my Sunday paper.

BTW...one of the first news programs I was introduced to was Firing Line with William F. Buckley. Today he'd be a flaming liberal but at the time he was THE conservative. It was on PBS for 28 years.

I was first drawn to the way that he would sit in the chair.

1612236139793.png

I would emulate it and drive my parents and teachers nuts.

Anyway, there isn't much bias in their news programs.

That being said....I know it's one zillionth of the federal budget but how much further do you have to be in debt before you pull the plug on public broadcasting.
T

I started watching firing line along with wall street week asa child . Great shows they had on Friday night. I got an education just watching those.

It would be just like the right to try and eliminate the one intelligent tv channel in the country.
I don't think he said anything about eliminating the channel--he just suggested cancelling the news and I agree. They only parrot what the mainstream media puts out. It would be refreshing if they would put out a news product that fairly and intelligently presented all sides of a story objectively and let their viewers make up their own minds. They are in a unique position to bring objectivity back to the news in opposition to the CNN's and FOX's. I have serious doubt that will happen though as their funding comes from liberal sources. The new Yellow Journalism is here to stay unless we regain our collective sanity.

It would be just like the right to try and eliminate the one intelligent tv channel in the country.
I don't think he said anything about eliminating the channel--he just suggested cancelling the news and I agree. They only parrot what the mainstream media puts out. It would be refreshing if they would put out a news product that fairly and intelligently presented all sides of a story objectively and let their viewers make up their own minds. They are in a unique position to bring objectivity back to the news in opposition to the CNN's and FOX's. I have serious doubt that will happen though as their funding comes from liberal sources. The new Yellow Journalism is here to stay unless we regain our collective sanity.
Why don't conservatives fund it then, if they want some conservative leaning programs? ALL the stations seem to get their news primarily from AP, Reuters, or one of the newspaper giants like NYT or WaPo. If you channel surf during national newstime, they're all covering the same stories. How much emphasis/ time they spend on each seems to be the biggest difference.

The news they cover is pretty much the same major news stories that all the MSM covers, including Fox and CNN. I don't deny they have a liberal lean, but they're a lot less frantic about it than CNN or NBC. They do some in depth reporting on topics people don't know much about. It's pretty informative.
There is a difference between receiving information from the source and spinning to keep your audience.
I know a few self-hating Liberal Jews who have worked for AP News and they skew information as well as anyone else.

Why don't conservatives fund it then, if they want some conservative leaning programs? ALL the stations seem to get their news primarily from AP, Reuters, or one of the newspaper giants like NYT or WaPo. If you channel surf during national newstime, they're all covering the same stories. How much emphasis/ time they spend on each seems to be the biggest difference.
They are so much the same on the big three that you can channel surf from on channel to another and they on commercial breaks at the same time, the news stories are often presented in the same order. The age of writers going out and finding news and reporting what happened without their own spin has gone by the wayside and it is really sad.

There is a difference between receiving information from the source and spinning to keep your audience.
I know a few self-hating Liberal Jews who have worked for AP News and they skew information as well as anyone else.
In this day and age, they have to spin it the way the publisher wants them to or they won't have a job. The major news producers now manipulate the spin, right or left, and if there is, God forbid, a freelancer who presents another view, they starve him out.

Do you even realize that you've just listed the 3 of the most prolific disseminators of crude, false, defamatory, anti-USA propaganda in existence?

AKA fake news.

Why should US taxpayers have to pay for that?

I very much like their documentaries and such. I just see no purpose in giving us all a taxpayer funded CNN-Lite.

Forum List

Back