Working together

Auld Phart

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2013
ah, those were the days..

70697435_10156744035690756_8685577938814369792_n.jpg

anyone that knows of other instances are welcome to post them

I'm currently trying to find a link to the occasion of Jack Benny trying to get a hotel room for Rochester with the rest of the troupe during a gig, only to be told 'his kind aren't welcome" in that hotel.

Jack then checked out, and moved the entire troupe to another hotel.

supposed to have happened in the 40's

"
In 1943, when Benny brought his entire radio show cast to Canada at his own expense to perform for those in the various branches of the Canadian services, Anderson and his wife received a warm welcome.[31] Stateside, an incident was defused by Benny when, according to reporter Fredric W. Slater, Rochester was denied a room at the hotel where Benny and his staff were planning to stay in Saint Joseph, Missouri. When it was announced that Anderson could not stay there, Benny replied: "If he doesn't stay here, neither do I." The hotel allowed Anderson to remain as a guest.[32]

It was not the only time a hotel refused Anderson a room. Soon after he became part of the permanent show cast, the program went on location to New York. When a couple from the South complained about staying in the same hotel as Anderson, the hotel manager tried to get him to find a room somewhere else. Hilliard Marks, the show's producer and also Jack Benny's brother-in-law, told the manager that Anderson would leave the hotel the next day. When he did, Jack Benny and the entire radio show cast and crew totaling 44 people, joined Anderson in checking out of the hotel.[33]"

Jack Benny - Biography - IMDb

Eddie "Rochester" Anderson - Wikipedia

Benny was reportedly at a table mingling with soldiers, when one serviceman told Benny how he thought Rochester was really funny and one of his favorites. Benny asked if he would like to meet him, but the soldier declined saying that where he comes from whites don't sit with people like Rochester. Appalled, Benny reportedly told him off and left the table

Those days never have been.

"
In 1943, when Benny brought his entire radio show cast to Canada at his own expense to perform for those in the various branches of the Canadian services, Anderson and his wife received a warm welcome.[31] Stateside, an incident was defused by Benny when, according to reporter Fredric W. Slater, Rochester was denied a room at the hotel where Benny and his staff were planning to stay in Saint Joseph, Missouri. When it was announced that Anderson could not stay there, Benny replied: "If he doesn't stay here, neither do I." The hotel allowed Anderson to remain as a guest.[32]

It was not the only time a hotel refused Anderson a room. Soon after he became part of the permanent show cast, the program went on location to New York. When a couple from the South complained about staying in the same hotel as Anderson, the hotel manager tried to get him to find a room somewhere else. Hilliard Marks, the show's producer and also Jack Benny's brother-in-law, told the manager that Anderson would leave the hotel the next day. When he did, Jack Benny and the entire radio show cast and crew totaling 44 people, joined Anderson in checking out of the hotel.[33]"

Jack Benny was a good person no doubt. But you see this is where the disconnection occurs. Benny should be credited, yet what so many whites miss is the fact that Benny was not in the majority. Also this story itself validates my comment. Now to some I am wrong for not overlooking the fact that Benny's manager should have taken a stronger stand, or that the hotel manager should have taken into consideration the 44 customers they lost because he didn't want to offend that white couple, or that I don't ignore the racism to focus on what Jack Benny did.

"

Jack Benny was a good person no doubt. But you see this is where the disconnection occurs. Benny should be credited, yet what so many whites miss is the fact that Benny was not in the majority. Also this story itself validates my comment. Now to some I am wrong for not overlooking the fact that Benny's manager should have taken a stronger stand, or that the hotel manager should have taken into consideration the 44 customers they lost because he didn't want to offend that white couple, or that I don't ignore the racism to focus on what Jack Benny did.

I feel sorry for you dude...

you're so filled with bigotry, so eaten up with hate, you refuse to acknowledge all people aren't as bad as you personally see them.

I'd hate to be you.

"

I feel sorry for you dude...

you're so filled with bigotry, so eaten up with hate, you refuse to acknowledge all people aren't as bad as you personally see them.

I'd hate to be you.

"Jack Benny was a good person no doubt. But you see this is where the disconnection occurs. Benny should be credited, yet what so many whites miss is the fact that Benny was not in the majority."

I feel sorry for you. You want everybody to live the lie you live in so badly that you think speaking the truth is bigotry and hate.

I'm glad I am me and not you.

"

People like you can't let go. While you try to punish people for the past, you forego opportunities for the future.

"

People like you can't let go. While you try to punish people for the past, you forego opportunities for the future.

People like you lie about the present thereby stalling present or future progress.

Once upon a time, Democrats loved America and put the interests of their fellow Americans first.

"

People like you lie about the present thereby stalling present or future progress.
When you can't respond adequately, you call someone a liar-it doesn't work anymore-we are on to you.And that little black girl needs a good spanking.

Forum List

Back