Work at a certain Ford Plant? Better drive a Ford then! :)

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
This is dumb - even if all of Ford's employees went out tomorrow and bought a Ford product, it wouldn't help Ford's financial problems:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,182984,00.html

DEARBORN, Mich. — The parking lot at Ford Motor Co.'s (F) Dearborn Truck plant just got a little more exclusive.

Plant manager Rob Webber announced Monday that, starting Feb. 1, the parking lot may be used only by employees who drive vehicles built by Ford or one of its subsidiaries.

Jerry Sullivan, president of United Auto Workers Local 600, which represents about 2,600 workers at the plant, applauded Webber's move.

"Everybody's in this together. (We need) to buy the products we make and support the company," Sullivan said. "This is a good place to start."

The UAW in the past has banished Asian and European vehicles from its parking lots. The restriction at Dearborn Truck, however, may be the first to be sanctioned by an automaker, The Detroit News reported Friday.

Webber's move came the same day Ford announced a restructuring plan under which it will cut up to 30,000 jobs and close 14 facilities by 2012. Ford said the plan is designed to make the company's North American division, which lost $1.6 billion last year, profitable by 2008.

"It was something this plant manager took upon himself. It's not a companywide policy," Ford spokeswoman Anne Marie Gattari said, adding that Webber made the decision after consulting with local UAW leaders.

The ban applies to both salaried and hourly workers with permits to park on site. About 15 percent of Dearborn Truck employees have such permits. Employees who don't drive Ford products can still park in an employee lot across Miller Road and walk to the plant, which produces F-150 pickup

Which means you can drive a car made by Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda, Volvo, Jaguar, Range Rover or Aston Martin to work.

Dumb unions.
The plant in this area is scheduled to close.They are offering 2 years at 90% pay PLUS they'll pay for education. What's the point in closing? Seems like it would cost almost as much as keeping it open, at least in pay.

Although, going by what happened last time, very few of the laid-off workers took advantage of the education $$$. Many of them, people I know personally, just took a 2 year paid vacation, without even attempting to look for work, and then started collecting unemployment and whining about "The Man" when the 2 years was up.

mom4 said:
Dumb unions.
The plant in this area is scheduled to close.They are offering 2 years at 90% pay PLUS they'll pay for education. What's the point in closing? Seems like it would cost almost as much as keeping it open, at least in pay.

Factor in over-time, overhead, insurances, taxes, etc... :(

GotZoom said:
Which means you can drive a car made by Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda, Volvo, Jaguar, Range Rover or Aston Martin to work.

I was just going say something like that but you beat me to it :tng:

theHawk said:
I was just going say something like that but you beat me to it :tng:

My dad is retired from Ford Aerospace so I can get any of those on the "retirement plan" - almost at cost.

Schweet deal.

Forum List

Back