Wonder if this 'problem' can help alleviate the homeless problem a little

Ben Thomson

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2020
Why not have a program where you take able bodied homeless people and give them a makeover with haircuts and new clothes and take them around to all these businesses, primarily the services industry, that are supposedly hurting for people and get them a job...'Nobody wants to work anymore': How a simple phrase became the oversimplified scapegoat for every problem plaguing the American labor market
1626993679774.png

That sounds like good charity work for you to do in your retirement and it won't cost me or anyone else a thing.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Why not have a program where you take able bodied homeless people and give them a makeover with haircuts and new clothes and take them around to all these businesses, primarily the services industry, that are supposedly hurting for people and get them a job...'Nobody wants to work anymore': How a simple phrase became the oversimplified scapegoat for every problem plaguing the American labor market
Sounds like a very good idea. It will help those who are down on their luck due to circumstances beyond their control but it will also give real data on how many of this group genuinely have no interest in work. I give the idea a thumbs up.

its been tried many times before and failed everytime,, and now that business's are competing with the governments unemployment that pays more than a business can afford it will fail again,,,

if a homeless person wants to work they can get a job anytime they want,,

the majority are homeless by choice,,

its been tried many times before and failed everytime,, and now that business's are competing with the governments unemployment that pays more than a business can afford it will fail again,,,

if a homeless person wants to work they can get a job anytime they want,,

the majority are homeless by choice,,

At a particularly low point, desperate for work, I resorted to an outfit known as Labor Ready. Compared to my previous, white-collar profession, the work I got through Labor Ready was hard, dirty, and sometimes unpleasant, and paid minimum wage; but it was honest work, and once I proved myself, I was able to consistently get work through them.

For a while, whenever I encountered a panhandler, begging for handouts, I told him about Labor Ready. I worked very hard for what meager earnings I was making, and I figured that anyone else who was willing to work as hard as I was, and to observe some very basic ethical standards, could make just as much money as I was; and anyone who wasn't willing to do that much certainly wasn't going to get any handouts from me out of my earnings.

I don't think any panhandler that I thus advised ever showed up at Labor Ready, and it didn't take me very long to realize that I wasn't doing the organization any good by trying to refer those types to it anyway.

I was much, much, much more sympathetic to panhandlers before this experience, than I have been since then.

Anyway, based on my experience, I have little faith that Ben Thomson's idea would work out anywhere near as well as what he imagines.

There is no unemployment under truer capitalism only underpayment.

From 1978 to 2018, CEO compensation grew by 1,007.5% (940.3% under the options-realized measure), far outstripping S&P stock market growth (706.7%) and the wage growth of very high earners (339.2%). In contrast, wages for the typical worker grew by just 11.9%.

At a particularly low point, desperate for work, I resorted to an outfit known as Labor Ready. Compared to my previous, white-collar profession, the work I got through Labor Ready was hard, dirty, and sometimes unpleasant, and paid minimum wage; but it was honest work, and once I proved myself, I was able to consistently get work through them.

For a while, whenever I encountered a panhandler, begging for handouts, I told him about Labor Ready. I worked very hard for what meager earnings I was making, and I figured that anyone else who was willing to work as hard as I was, and to observe some very basic ethical standards, could make just as much money as I was; and anyone who wasn't willing to do that much certainly wasn't going to get any handouts from me out of my earnings.

I don't think any panhandler that I thus advised ever showed up at Labor Ready, and it didn't take me very long to realize that I wasn't doing the organization any good by trying to refer those types to it anyway.

I was much, much, much more sympathetic to panhandlers before this experience, than I have been since then.

Anyway, based on my experience, I have little faith that Ben Thomson's idea would work out anywhere near as well as what he imagines.
I am finishing a 30x40 metal building and have to use my wife for labor because I cant find anything short of top priced labor to help,

use to be a time you go in any of the lowes or home depot and there were several guys looking for work, not anymore,,
the contractors i work with cant find guys either,,

You really think haircuts and new clothes qualifies a person for a job?

The problem is that people tend to lump all homeless people into one group. People are homeless for more than one reason. You have your addicted, mental problems, those who choose to live that way and finally the ones who have just hit hard times. Living paycheck to paycheck until the checks stopped for some reason beyond their control. Those are the ones I was thinking about. I'm sure they would appreciate a paycheck or two.

If they are mentally unstable, on drugs, not reliable, they will not be even an average employee. Giving someone a haircut, a shower and clean clothes is window dressing. I was shopping at Kroger the other day and saw a homeless dude filling out an application, he could barely write, hands were shaking. Good first step for him though.

Forum List

Back