Woman Denied An Abortion, Dies In Hospital

Well, we know for sure she's dead, and she died of a blood infection after suffering a prolonged miscarriage.

Whether the doctors should have known her life was at risk or assumed the miscarriage would continue naturally I guess is debatable.

Well, if they did not follow the proper medical protocol for her condition then I would assume there will be an investigation. Abortion does not have to be legal to follow the Hippocratic Oath.

I imagine that she was bleeding heavily but the fetus was still alive. An incomplete miscarriage is when there is still tissue and fetal parts remaining.

All they needed to do was give her a drug to help along that miscarriage, or given her something for the pain. No one should be in horrible pain for an entire 24 hrs.

An incomplete miscarriage is when there is still tissue and fetal parts remaining.

Then how could the child be alive?

Because she may have only had some bleeding, the miscarriage wasn't far enough along to end the pregnancy.

The hospital is investigating, according to the article. Although it does spark in interesting question..

Were the doctors morally obligated to help her? Even if it was agaisnt the law?

By all accounts, she was in intense pain, begging for help, and if we take the articles at face value, the advice she got was to wait.

Should the doctors have broken the law and done more for her?

I say yes.

I imagine that she was bleeding heavily but the fetus was still alive. An incomplete miscarriage is when there is still tissue and fetal parts remaining.

All they needed to do was give her a drug to help along that miscarriage, or given her something for the pain. No one should be in horrible pain for an entire 24 hrs.

An incomplete miscarriage is when there is still tissue and fetal parts remaining.

Then how could the child be alive?

Because she may have only had some bleeding, the miscarriage wasn't far enough along to end the pregnancy.

But you posted this below:

I'm not a doctor but if this was the state of the fetus in the womb I doubt it would still be alive. I don't believe all I read in the media so without further details from actual doctors or medical staff it is hard to be sure what happened.

Abortion is illegal in the Republic except where there is a real and substantial risk to the life, as distinct from the health, of the mother.

A little more detail at this link:

BBC News - Woman dies after abortion request 'refused' at Galway hospital

Very sad story no matter what. If her life could have been saved it should have been if those were her wishes and the wishes of her husband. The baby was never viable outside of the womb so that is why this story seems to have some missing parts.

Last edited:
The hospital is investigating, according to the article. Although it does spark in interesting question..

Were the doctors morally obligated to help her? Even if it was agaisnt the law?

By all accounts, she was in intense pain, begging for help, and if we take the articles at face value, the advice she got was to wait.

Should the doctors have broken the law and done more for her?

I say yes.

Or perhaps simply allow the doctor and patient to decide what’s best without interference from the state.

And no where does that link mention a live fetus.

I think that is where the doctors were stuck, as to how to deal with the situation. But if they knew she was having a miscarriage, and couldn't prevent it, she should have been given a drug to terminate the pregnancy.

And no where does that link mention a live fetus.

I think that is where the doctors were stuck, as to how to deal with the situation. But if they knew she was having a miscarriage, and couldn't prevent it, she should have been given a drug to terminate the pregnancy.

I understand but what I am trying to get at is whether the fetus was alive. Based on your description of an incomplete miscarriage and what I know about them the fetus would be dead so abortion would not be even on the table. Moreso the fetus was never viable oitside of the womb or inside the womb if the fetus was in the condition you describe, so there was no living child to save, only a mother.

The doctor made a decision; the result was death. The result probably would have been death if he had tried to abort the baby as well.

You just don't know.

That is why I don't get why they just didn't terminate. The fetus was non viable, so it was never going to live inside or outside the womb. It wasn't coming out on its own, it was clear the woman needed medical assistance. The doctors would have been killing a fetus that was going to die anyway, so I don't understand why they refused to abort.

The doctor made a decision; the result was death. The result probably would have been death if he had tried to abort the baby as well.

You just don't know.

If they tried to abort the fetus, that woman would likely still be alive.

That is why I don't get why they just didn't terminate. The fetus was non viable, so it was never going to live inside or outside the womb. It wasn't coming out on its own, it was clear the woman needed medical assistance. The doctors would have been killing a fetus that was going to die anyway, so I don't understand why they refused to abort.

Something is off on this story Noomi. Medical records would make it all clearer.

You are a fucking idiot. She died from BLOOD POISONING. Not from "absence of abortion". She came in already sick, and for whatever reason they chose not to dig in at that point; undoutedly because she was suffering from BLOOD POISONING that needed to be treated first.

Also, your source is crap. A study that states women denied abortion are poorer, and there are no negative effects of abortion...yeah, right.

Forum List

Back