With all the spill over of savagery from inner cities into the burbs, i figure that i should arm up with some power. Taurus .357 magnum. For free...

Gotta be honest, a .357 is too much gun for me in a home defense situation. I ain't as strong as I used to be, and my .357 Uberti revolver is too heavy and has too much recoil. So, I'm thinking of selling or trading it for a 9mm or maybe a .380. Thoughts?

Gotta be honest, a .357 is too much gun for me in a home defense situation. I ain't as strong as I used to be, and my .357 Uberti revolver is too heavy and has too much recoil. So, I'm thinking of selling or trading it for a 9mm or maybe a .380. Thoughts?

If the recoil is an issue, you can load a .357 with .38 special ammo.

.357 revolvers do tend to be heavy, though, so not much you can do about that.

There is also the case for shotguns. Especially for those of us who live in rural areas, the country, where four legged varmints might also be a concern. This was in my email inbox, excerpt;
SHOTGUNS: THE NON-NEGOTIABLES​

Here is a list of the traits I think a good home defense shotgun needs to have, regardless:

#1: An 18.5" Barrel.

This is the minimum allowed length for a shotgun barrel in the USA. However, the typical length for a hunting shotgun's barrel is 28 inches! Longer barrels have tons of advantages, but when it comes to MANEUVERING inside a home and the very short distances we'll be fighting at inside of one... we want as short of a shotgun as possible. (A shotgun with a 28" inch barrel is almost impossible to clear a home with while retaining the initiative). So: stick with an 18.5" barrel.

#2: Shoulder-Fired.

Shortest length shotgun.... within reason, that is. A common sight among home-defense shotgun setups is this:
23a31f07ac1a3479f583ad88f43fc0b2.jpg

The problem there is: shotguns carry a lot of recoil, and pump-shotguns especially transfer ALL the recoil into the shooter. That means a very STIFF and SUDDEN recoil.

If you don't have a shoulder-stock, that pup will be very hard to control and manage. (As in... these pistol grip shotguns really hurt). I'm not saying we shouldn't use a pistol-grip shotgun... but they are a son of a gun. Accuracy and follow-up shot speed will suffer immensely; far more than I think we gain in maneuverability. Not my preference, so I say: get a shotgun that has a stock.

#3: 12 gauge.

There's nothing wrong with using a 20ga or even .410 shotgun for home defense - both are plenty powerful. However, you gain a lot more projectiles in a load of buckshot when you're using one chambered in 12ga. Unless you really can't manage the recoil of the 12ga, I'd make that a hard and fast rule.

#4: A High Capacity Magazine.

Most often this will come in the form of an "extended tube magazine", but some configurations accept detachable magazines. In any case: you want to rise beyond the factory hunting-legal default of most shotguns, which is 5 rounds. Far better to have 7+ in the magazine..

SHOTGUNS: WHAT OTHER
OPTIONS ARE THERE?
It's going to come down to a two big decisions.

First:
SEMI-AUTO or PUMP-ACTION?
OPTION 1: SEMI-AUTO​
007939abfc36900332322b1fc2e38a12.jpg

The pros of a semi-auto shotgun are: Simple Operations, Fast Shot Tempo, and Smoother Recoil.

The recoil is dispersed both into the gun and into time itself, much like a semi-auto rifle. They still pack a heavy kick, but it feels significantly less. Next, you can shoot faster with a semi-auto shotgun. And finally, there's less to think about. You push the safety button and start yanking - and before you know it, you've sent 3/4lbs of lead down range.

The CONS of a semi-auto shotgun are...

A more complex mechanism: this means its likelier to fail to feed or eject than a pump, especially given that a) home defense weapons are usually not kept in the best lubricated and clean states of readiness, and b) the square-nose shotgun shell is a pretty clumsy thing to try to feed and cycle reliably.

Top-shelf semi-autos have most of the bugs worked out, but there's a lot of inconsistency in de-crumpling a plastic shotshell via detonation. They catch air, they can crack, and some are not even crimped to standard lengths.

That is why many people opt for....

OPTION 2: PUMP-ACTION
77f6586b8c28d78d6fa8da49cf5360f8.jpg

The pros and cons are reversed for the pump and semi-auto shotguns.

The pump is more reliable... but you have to cycle out each spent shotshell.

The pump has a sharper recoil. The pump fires more slowly because of its manual operation.

ONE MORE DECISION...
Bullpup vs Full Length.
The guns you see above (and here we can finally say "gun" and be technically correct) are both full-length specimens. But it's possible to manufacture a shotgun in a 'bullpup' configuration, which brings the action toward the shoulder of the shooter, thus "combining" the buttstock and action assembly, thus decreasing the overall length of the weapon significantly.

And you can find them in both pump-action and semi-auto configurations:

Bullpup Pump:
acfd8eeb18c418c730c0697a1913588b.jpg

Bullpup Semi-Auto:

eedd451554eaf60a03bc8e6e7b8ff888.jpg

Home clearing and CQB with a bullpup configuration rifle or shotgun is a glorious pleasure. It's amazing. You can open doors and move stuff around with one hand, all while keeping your weapon pointed at where you're looking and working.

I love it. But...

FOR ME PERSONALLY...
For home-defense, I would stick with the most simple, rugged (not to mention, CHEAP) solution:

A full length pump-action shotgun with an 18.5" barrel and magazine tube extension.

> I would get one that is chambered for 3-inch shotshell (usually identifiable by "magnum" or simply 3" / 3-inch engraved on the receiver or in the model name.

> I would load it with 2 and 3/4 inch 00 buck for maximum ammo capacity and to cut down some of the recoil.

> I would store it in the home with a full magazine but with no shell in the chamber.

> If you're new to pump-action shotguns, I would spend 60 seconds in constant dry-fire and pump-cycling every day for 2 straight weeks. Practice moving all around the house while clicking on an empty chamber and RACKING that pump action as fast as you can after every hollow 'click.'

Do this while sweeping the shotgun from side to side, while pointing it down, while pointing it up, and from several different body positions.

> If you build solid pump-action muscle memory, you can mitigate almost all the drawbacks of using a pump over a semi-auto. (In my youth, I could shoot my pump shotgun almost as fast as any semi-auto! Especially when target acquisition was necessary for both shooters).

OPTIONAL:

> Consider getting more cushiony rubber or gel butt-pad. Most detach and attach with only two simply phillips-head screws.

> Consider cutting 1" of wood off your buttstock and re-attaching the butt-pad, if yours does have a wooden stock. (This makes the shotgun more maneuverable in the home).

> Consider adding a butt-stock shell wallet to your shotgun. (7 rounds is plenty for home defense, but you'll never regret having 5 more). (I like butt-stock wallets over sling bandoliers because they keep the weight back at your shoulder: especially helpful in a front-heavy shotgun that uses a plastic/polymer stock/forearm.)

MODELS:

The two most common classic pump models (and the ones most produced / least expensive) will be the Remington 870, Winchester SXP, or the Mossberg 500. But the Benelli Nova is one sweet, gorgeous shotgun as well.

So: if you've been in the market for a shotgun, I hope this helps you.

There is also the case for shotguns. Especially for those of us who live in rural areas, the country, where four legged varmints might also be a concern. This was in my email inbox, excerpt;
SHOTGUNS: THE NON-NEGOTIABLES​

Here is a list of the traits I think a good home defense shotgun needs to have, regardless:

#1: An 18.5" Barrel.

This is the minimum allowed length for a shotgun barrel in the USA. However, the typical length for a hunting shotgun's barrel is 28 inches! Longer barrels have tons of advantages, but when it comes to MANEUVERING inside a home and the very short distances we'll be fighting at inside of one... we want as short of a shotgun as possible. (A shotgun with a 28" inch barrel is almost impossible to clear a home with while retaining the initiative). So: stick with an 18.5" barrel.

#2: Shoulder-Fired.

Shortest length shotgun.... within reason, that is. A common sight among home-defense shotgun setups is this:​
23a31f07ac1a3479f583ad88f43fc0b2.jpg

The problem there is: shotguns carry a lot of recoil, and pump-shotguns especially transfer ALL the recoil into the shooter. That means a very STIFF and SUDDEN recoil.

If you don't have a shoulder-stock, that pup will be very hard to control and manage. (As in... these pistol grip shotguns really hurt). I'm not saying we shouldn't use a pistol-grip shotgun... but they are a son of a gun. Accuracy and follow-up shot speed will suffer immensely; far more than I think we gain in maneuverability. Not my preference, so I say: get a shotgun that has a stock.

#3: 12 gauge.

There's nothing wrong with using a 20ga or even .410 shotgun for home defense - both are plenty powerful. However, you gain a lot more projectiles in a load of buckshot when you're using one chambered in 12ga. Unless you really can't manage the recoil of the 12ga, I'd make that a hard and fast rule.

#4: A High Capacity Magazine.

Most often this will come in the form of an "extended tube magazine", but some configurations accept detachable magazines. In any case: you want to rise beyond the factory hunting-legal default of most shotguns, which is 5 rounds. Far better to have 7+ in the magazine..​

SHOTGUNS: WHAT OTHER
OPTIONS ARE THERE?
It's going to come down to a two big decisions.

First:
SEMI-AUTO or PUMP-ACTION?
OPTION 1: SEMI-AUTO​
007939abfc36900332322b1fc2e38a12.jpg

The pros of a semi-auto shotgun are: Simple Operations, Fast Shot Tempo, and Smoother Recoil.

The recoil is dispersed both into the gun and into time itself, much like a semi-auto rifle. They still pack a heavy kick, but it feels significantly less. Next, you can shoot faster with a semi-auto shotgun. And finally, there's less to think about. You push the safety button and start yanking - and before you know it, you've sent 3/4lbs of lead down range.

The CONS of a semi-auto shotgun are...

A more complex mechanism: this means its likelier to fail to feed or eject than a pump, especially given that a) home defense weapons are usually not kept in the best lubricated and clean states of readiness, and b) the square-nose shotgun shell is a pretty clumsy thing to try to feed and cycle reliably.

Top-shelf semi-autos have most of the bugs worked out, but there's a lot of inconsistency in de-crumpling a plastic shotshell via detonation. They catch air, they can crack, and some are not even crimped to standard lengths.

That is why many people opt for....

OPTION 2: PUMP-ACTION​
77f6586b8c28d78d6fa8da49cf5360f8.jpg

The pros and cons are reversed for the pump and semi-auto shotguns.

The pump is more reliable... but you have to cycle out each spent shotshell.

The pump has a sharper recoil. The pump fires more slowly because of its manual operation.

ONE MORE DECISION...
Bullpup vs Full Length.
The guns you see above (and here we can finally say "gun" and be technically correct) are both full-length specimens. But it's possible to manufacture a shotgun in a 'bullpup' configuration, which brings the action toward the shoulder of the shooter, thus "combining" the buttstock and action assembly, thus decreasing the overall length of the weapon significantly.

And you can find them in both pump-action and semi-auto configurations:

Bullpup Pump:​
acfd8eeb18c418c730c0697a1913588b.jpg

Bullpup Semi-Auto:
eedd451554eaf60a03bc8e6e7b8ff888.jpg

Home clearing and CQB with a bullpup configuration rifle or shotgun is a glorious pleasure. It's amazing. You can open doors and move stuff around with one hand, all while keeping your weapon pointed at where you're looking and working.

I love it. But...

FOR ME PERSONALLY...
For home-defense, I would stick with the most simple, rugged (not to mention, CHEAP) solution:

A full length pump-action shotgun with an 18.5" barrel and magazine tube extension.

> I would get one that is chambered for 3-inch shotshell (usually identifiable by "magnum" or simply 3" / 3-inch engraved on the receiver or in the model name.

> I would load it with 2 and 3/4 inch 00 buck for maximum ammo capacity and to cut down some of the recoil.

> I would store it in the home with a full magazine but with no shell in the chamber.

> If you're new to pump-action shotguns, I would spend 60 seconds in constant dry-fire and pump-cycling every day for 2 straight weeks. Practice moving all around the house while clicking on an empty chamber and RACKING that pump action as fast as you can after every hollow 'click.'

Do this while sweeping the shotgun from side to side, while pointing it down, while pointing it up, and from several different body positions.

> If you build solid pump-action muscle memory, you can mitigate almost all the drawbacks of using a pump over a semi-auto. (In my youth, I could shoot my pump shotgun almost as fast as any semi-auto! Especially when target acquisition was necessary for both shooters).

OPTIONAL:

> Consider getting more cushiony rubber or gel butt-pad. Most detach and attach with only two simply phillips-head screws.

> Consider cutting 1" of wood off your buttstock and re-attaching the butt-pad, if yours does have a wooden stock. (This makes the shotgun more maneuverable in the home).

> Consider adding a butt-stock shell wallet to your shotgun. (7 rounds is plenty for home defense, but you'll never regret having 5 more). (I like butt-stock wallets over sling bandoliers because they keep the weight back at your shoulder: especially helpful in a front-heavy shotgun that uses a plastic/polymer stock/forearm.)

MODELS:

The two most common classic pump models (and the ones most produced / least expensive) will be the Remington 870, Winchester SXP, or the Mossberg 500. But the Benelli Nova is one sweet, gorgeous shotgun as well.

So: if you've been in the market for a shotgun, I hope this helps you.
I have one of these also. But the pistol is convenient inside.

78247-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Dear God in Heaven. Give these Patriots a legitimate chance to use this hardware. Let them use these tools to remove the verminous enemies in their local 1-gross per day until this Country is back on track!

And if there are 40 , who were beating up the two marines, yeah, you can get 6 or 7, but then you get your head bashed in.
You gotta get ballsy when it's like that, drop 2 and ask "Who's next?!" "Step up and the next one gets it, too."

And be backing away slowly..taking them 3 steps n stuff. Fear of getting whopped or shot makes people think twice.

Last edited:
I have been thinking about a new stock for my 870.

View attachment 800056
This would give me the best of both worlds, with the exception of the short length of one with just a pistol grip. If I do decide to pull the trigger and get it, I'l let you know.

I've been thinking about doing the same to my .870,the Wife uses it mainly so a pistol grip with stock would be a good combo for Her.
Thinking I'm going to tacticalize the Ruger 10/22 as well mainly for the fun of it.

I've been thinking about doing the same to my .870,the Wife uses it mainly so a pistol grip with stock would be a good combo for Her.
Thinking I'm going to tacticalize the Ruger 10/22 as well mainly for the fun of it.
I bought a 20 gauge shotgun for my wife, as i think the 12 gauge would knock her on her ass.

I will probably customize my 10/22 before the shotgun. I shoot it more.

I think the 10/22 is the best gun for the money, maybe the best gun period, in my collection. I have abused mine at times, and it has still never had a problem.

I think the 10/22 is the best gun for the money, maybe the best gun period, in my collection. I have abused mine at times, and it has still never had a problem.

The 10/22 is a lot of fun to plink with and shoot rabbits and squirrels.
It's a good all around SHTF rifle for sure.

the 22 cal may piss off many Fentanyl users instead of killing them if they ever come into your house.

the 22 cal may piss off many Fentanyl users instead of killing them if they ever come into your house.

My 10/22 is not my first choice for home defence. I would much prefer my M1911 or Ruger .357 Mag.

But that doesn't make my 10/22 any less a great rifle.

So i have a Cabela's credit card and i use it like cash, purchasing gas and other things on it, so after a while i build up enough points to use towards a weapon of choice. So Bass Pro Shops down in Daytona had the weapon i wanted and all it cost me was a little time for a background check. You know those things that have to be done so the weapon doesnt end up in the hands of some mentally insane who will go out and harm innocent people. Here is the weapon. No magazines of death, just 7 shots. With my points i paid nothing.....

View attachment 790267
The only problem with whatever firearm you own, if you live in a large Democrat run city with a George Soros bought and paid for District Attorney, when you shoot someone and you are white and the person you shoot is a minority, no matter how right you are in your defense, anticipate going before a judge, as well as a jury that is handpicked by the prosecutor to ensure that you do time for your actions.

The only problem with whatever firearm you own, if you live in a large Democrat run city with a George Soros bought and paid for District Attorney, when you shoot someone and you are white and the person you shoot is a minority, no matter how right you are in your defense, anticipate going before a judge, as well as a jury that is handpicked by the prosecutor to ensure that you do time for your actions.

If the criminal broke into my house, he will be shot and I will be fine.

Even in Atlanta it works like that. There have been several cases of break-ins ending with the criminal being shot, and no one was prosecuted.

Oh, and the defense attorney gets as much input in the jury selection process as the prosecutor.

Also, I refuse to let paranoia of being prosecuted stop me from protecting my loved ones and my home.

If you want, you can just call 911. Personally, I'll be calling 811.

If the criminal broke into my house, he will be shot and I will be fine.

Even in Atlanta it works like that. There have been several cases of break-ins ending with the criminal being shot, and no one was prosecuted.

Oh, and the defense attorney gets as much input in the jury selection process as the prosecutor.
The defense attorneys are allowed to reject a grand total of three jurors, after that, they have to accept the others.
Many years ago, in Minneapolis, my nephew was up in the bedroom with his wife late at night when they heard a noise, he grabbed his firearm, and walked down the stairs where he encountered two figures in the dark, he shot both of them. When the law arrived, they found two teenagers, dead and unarmed. My nephew served eight years in prison for that.
Factual story.

The defense attorneys are allowed to reject a grand total of three jurors, after that, they have to accept the others.
Many years ago, in Minneapolis, my nephew was up in the bedroom with his wife late at night when they heard a noise, he grabbed his firearm, and walked down the stairs where he encountered two figures in the dark, he shot both of them. When the law arrived, they found two teenagers, dead and unarmed. My nephew served eight years in prison for that.
Factual story.

Makes me glad I live in Georgia.

from: 2010 Georgia Code :: TITLE 15 - COURTS :: CHAPTER 12 - JURIES :: ARTICLE 5 - TRIAL JURIES :: PART 2 - JURIES IN FELONY CASES :: § 15-12-165 - Number of peremptory challenges

"Every person accused of a felony may peremptorily challenge nine of the jurors impaneled to try him or her. The state shall be allowed the same number of peremptory challenges allowed to the defendant; provided, however, that in any case in which the state announces its intention to seek the death penalty, the defendant may peremptorily challenge 15 jurors and the state shall be allowed the same number of peremptory challenges."

I can't believe that the defense attorney gets to reject fewer jurors than the prosecution.

I'm also wondering why someone went to prison for shooting an intruder when he would have feared for his life and he didn't know whether the teenagers were armed or not. Now if he held them at gunpoint and THEN killed them, it might be different.

Forum List

Back