Wind Turbines Kill More Birds Than BP Oil Spill

Oh Matthew. what say you?

SNIP:
It’s been five years since BP’s Deepwater Horizon oil rig exploded and released 5 million barrels of crude oil into the Gulf of Mexico.

Environmentalists are highlighting the disaster by pointing to the 800,000 birds that have died because of the spill in the five years since the disaster, but activists have been eerily silent about the fact that way more birds have been killed by wind turbines — a supposedly “eco-friendly” energy source.

The liberal blog Mother Jones reports that 800,000 birds have been killed and the Pelican population in the Gulf has decreased 12 percent. While the 2010 Gulf spill was indeed a horrible disaster, the number of birds that died pales in comparison the number killed in the last five years due to wind turbines.

A 2013 study found that 573,000 birds and 888,000 bats are killed every year by wind turbines — a figure 30 percent higher than the federal government estimated in 2009. These deaths have likely increased as wind power capacity increases across the country.

“I estimated 888,000 bat and 573,000 bird fatalities/year (including 83,000 raptor fatalities) at 51,630 megawatt (MW) of installed wind-energy capacity in the United States in 2012,” writes K. Shawn Smallwood, author of the study that was published in the Wildlife Society Bulletin.

all of it here:
Wind Turbines Kill More Birds Than BP Oil Spill The Daily Caller

I notice Conservatives only seem to notice- and pretend to care about bird deaths- when it comes to alternative energy.

I wonder why they never seem concerned about the major causes of bird deaths- chief of which of course is habitat loss- but the other causes
upload_2015-4-21_12-9-45.png

SNIP:
It’s been five years since BP’s Deepwater Horizon oil rig exploded and released 5 million barrels of crude oil into the Gulf of Mexico.

Environmentalists are highlighting the disaster by pointing to the 800,000 birds that have died because of the spill in the five years since the disaster, but activists have been eerily silent about the fact that way more birds have been killed by wind turbines — a supposedly “eco-friendly” energy source.

The liberal blog Mother Jones reports that 800,000 birds have been killed and the Pelican population in the Gulf has decreased 12 percent. While the 2010 Gulf spill was indeed a horrible disaster, the number of birds that died pales in comparison the number killed in the last five years due to wind turbines.

A 2013 study found that 573,000 birds and 888,000 bats are killed every year by wind turbines — a figure 30 percent higher than the federal government estimated in 2009. These deaths have likely increased as wind power capacity increases across the country.

“I estimated 888,000 bat and 573,000 bird fatalities/year (including 83,000 raptor fatalities) at 51,630 megawatt (MW) of installed wind-energy capacity in the United States in 2012,” writes K. Shawn Smallwood, author of the study that was published in the Wildlife Society Bulletin.

all of it here:

I notice Conservatives only seem to notice- and pretend to care about bird deaths- when it comes to alternative energy.

I wonder why they never seem concerned about the major causes of bird deaths- chief of which of course is habitat loss- but the other causes
View attachment 40080

Funny...habitat loss isnt listed?
But shooting all feral cats would do wonders apparently.

SNIP:

all of it here:

View attachment 40080

Funny...habitat loss isnt listed?
But shooting all feral cats would do wonders apparently.

Actually the article lists habitat loss first, but the chart goes with direct death causes.

And yes- eliminating feral cats would save millions of birds lives.

I love cats- but people who abandon cats and leave them to eat wild birds and other wildlife do not do them or the environment any favors.

Wind turbines never destroyed a regional economy.

They dont do anything for it either. But they do a fantastic job of ruining the scenery.

Oil

oil-gas.Par.93747.Image.500.375.1.gif

Coal

Coal-Mine-Rehabilitation-2.jpg

Those pumpjacks dont appear to be 328 feet tall.
And not only that the pumpjacks will eventually be gone.

wind-turbine-federal-tax-credit-2012-537x407.jpg

And they'll be there forever..or until the tax subsidies die and they eventually fall down from lack of maintenance.

Speaking of stuff that stays around forever:

coolingtower.jpg

SNIP:

all of it here:

View attachment 40080

No, conservatives are just pointing out the hypocrisy of the left. that's all.

SNIP:

all of it here:

View attachment 40080

No, conservatives are just pointing out the hypocrisy of the left. that's all.

Is that the rationalization for the hypocrisy you use to sleep at night- when you pretend to be concerned about the death of birds, just to attack alternate energy?

Seeing that hundreds of people per year die in coal mines and Hundreds of thousands die from cancer from working in coal mines. It is a choice between humans having a power source that can last through the ages or a few thousand birds. Believe me, we slaughter a lot of fucking animals so don't even get me started.

SNIP:

all of it here:

View attachment 40080

Facts and loserterians don't go together. They Oppose renewables as they don't make their 1% royality richer. They're slaves for these bastards.

Three reasons why I support wind...
1. It is a infite resource! I love living in civilization and the finite sources like coal aren't going to be around forever.
2. Cars, planes, buildings kill a hell of a lot more!
3. Coal, oil and natural gas causes cancer. Wind doesn't...I care about human health! ;)

and all them dead birds?
Yes, all those dead birds, you old witch;

A chart showing estimated numbers of birds killed annually by each of several different causes. Data from various sources.

This chart and the following text were prepared in 2003. Any updates would be welcome.

Staph, you don't give a flying fuck about birds. You are simply against any kind of progress, technological or social.

Pretty much from The Dallas to Pendleton. And now in the Grande Ronde valley. If we were smart, we would throw a large power line across southern Oregon, and pick up wind, solar, and geothermal from that area.

Three reasons why I support wind...
1. It is a infite resource! I love living in civilization and the finite sources like coal aren't going to be around forever.
2. Cars, planes, buildings kill a hell of a lot more!
3. Coal, oil and natural gas causes cancer. Wind doesn't...I care about human health! ;)

and all them dead birds?
Yes, all those dead birds, you old witch;

A chart showing estimated numbers of birds killed annually by each of several different causes. Data from various sources.

This chart and the following text were prepared in 2003. Any updates would be welcome.

Staph, you don't give a flying fuck about birds. You are simply against any kind of progress, technological or social.

Those windows are a bitch. I guess it is time to tear down all the high-rises. ;)

Pretty much from The Dallas to Pendleton. And now in the Grande Ronde valley. If we were smart, we would throw a large power line across southern Oregon, and pick up wind, solar, and geothermal from that area.

Yeah, lots in Kittitas County, WA too.

If Oregon was smart it would cover about 40 square miles of the eastern side with solar. ;) 99.9% of the population of the state wouldn't ever see them either.

Oregon should also have at least 10gw of solar...maybe the governor will mandate solar on all new homes.

Mathew, how about all the commercial and industrial building roofs in our cities? No transmission losses, and a source of income for the owners of the properties.

Forum List

Back