Will Georgia be without any senators for a short bit?

my2¢

So it goes
May 14, 2010
Arizona's Maricopa County
It seems odd to me that Georgia would hold their runoff election for Senators on January 5th when the new session of congress begins on the 3rd. After the present senators terms expire do they go without any Senators or does the governor appoint the present ones to remain until the runoff election winners are sworn in? Just curious, I did a bit of searching of the web but without luck. Perhaps somebody from Georgia can fill me in on what happens at the start of the new session.

It seems odd to me that Georgia would hold their runoff election for Senators on January 5th when the new session of congress begins on the 3rd. After the present senators terms expire do they go without any Senators or does the governor appoint the present ones to remain until the runoff election winners are sworn in? Just curious, I did a bit of searching of the web but without luck. Perhaps somebody from Georgia can fill me in on what happens at the start of the new session.

Excellent question. Don't know the answer but I suspect the former --- they go without a vote in the Senate for however many days it takes to get the vote back and certified. Since neither current Senator will have left office due to death or resignation (presumably), the seats would have to go to whoever was elected, which is not yet known.

Here in Arizona when we voted last month for who would fill the final 2 years of John McCain's senate term, the election winner Mark Kelly wasn't sworn in until December 2nd. This was a few days after the vote was certified on November 30th. So even without the hoopla of the Presidential election I'm just guessing the Georgia winners would miss at least a week of the new session. With the election count taking place on the 6th, plus who knows the status of where the stimulus bill will be that week and whatever else, it could be an important week.

Got it - it is a split decicion! I searched using question: Who will be the Georgia senators when the new session of congress begins. Came up with:

1608841139056.png
The one seat will be empty for the term that expired in 2021. But Senator Kelly Loeffier was appointed and is occupying a senate seat that doesn't expire yet. So she'll remain in place until a new senator is elected, be it herself or her election opponent.

Kelly Loeffler will start next Congress session as Georgia senator despite runoff, here's why | Fox News

Forum List

Back