The ‘Agnew Option’ could be a way out for Trump — and America

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
Wind, rain and hail pummeled the line of mourners that stretched on for a day and a night in the first act of Richard M. Nixon’s funeral in 1994. It was “a scene worthy of ‘King Lear’”

Lear wasn’t a perfect analogy, because there’s no ghost in “Lear.” Nixon’s funeral had one: Spiro Agnew, the vice president Nixon plucked from relative obscurity as a pugnacious governor of Maryland to be his running mate.

After an investigation into Agnew’s tenure as governor revealed a sordid history of bribery, fraud and corruption, federal prosecutors offered an unusual “plea deal.” In exchange for his immediate resignation, a plea of nolo contendere to a single federal tax violation and a fine of $10,000, Agnew was allowed to pass into private life.

Trump has little to fear from the “criminal referrals” lodged with the Justice Department by the House Jan. 6 committee this week. But the earlier appointment of special counsel Jack Smith to oversee two federal investigations is not political theater. As with every special counsel, Smith has the time, budget and staff with which to pursue Trump, his family and staff. Such investigations can last many years. Add in Trump-focused investigations by the attorney general of New York, the Manhattan district attorney and the Fulton County district attorney in Atlanta, and the legal web in which Trump is ensnared is vast.

I’m not talking about a plea, because I don’t believe there are facts in the public’s view supporting a reasonable theory about the necessary “elements” showing Trump has committed any crime. Period. Only those who have never worked in a White House can doubt that papers often get mixed up in the chaos of a transition, and Trump’s power to declassify when he was president was unlimited. As for the New York and Georgia matters, they seem like very weak legal tea. The idea that Trump intended a riot and occupation of the Capitol? I don’t believe it. And I doubt any reasonable jury instructed on reasonable doubt and the legal meaning of intent would either. But should Trump take the risk that I am wrong?

Trump’s fervent supporters continue to believe he is a noble Jean Valjean of American politics being pursued by a mob of Javerts. But that won’t stop a prosecutor who believes they found the elusive element of “intent.” If Smith — or the other prosecutors — want to indict Trump, an indictment will follow. And political and civic chaos would break loose. Trump didn’t threaten violence in our interview, but he did predict anger, and the country has more than enough anger already. Is there a deal that could spare the nation another collision of the extremes — or even crisis? No one outside of the far right and far left, the one-percenters who thrive on conflict, wants the white-hot anger on all sides that would greet the spectacle of Trump on trial

Trump thrives on battles. But this one has the potential to be ruinously expensive for him, his family and his staff. He has no White House counsel’s office to defend him, only private lawyers expecting to be paid in advance. His Agnew Option would save him untold millions, plus the risk of being convicted of a crime in a hostile jurisdiction. Trump would have to promise to follow the path of other modern former presidents: a memoir, a library and museum, some highly paid appearances, but no more campaigns, for himself or others.
Could he live without rallies? Perhaps, if it meant no more courtrooms. His Agnew Option would not involve suspended sentences, fines or admissions of guilt. Just a laying-down-of-arms on all sides and a commitment from the former president to retire from combat. A settlement.

Trump will never be an Agnew, because Trump scored the greatest upset in US political history and left his mark on politics, the Supreme Court, Middle East diplomacy and more. But like Agnew, he might be ready to move on — not into obscurity, but into a life free of prosecutors.

Wind, rain and hail pummeled the line of mourners that stretched on for a day and a night in the first act of Richard M. Nixon’s funeral in 1994. It was “a scene worthy of ‘King Lear’”

Lear wasn’t a perfect analogy, because there’s no ghost in “Lear.” Nixon’s funeral had one: Spiro Agnew, the vice president Nixon plucked from relative obscurity as a pugnacious governor of Maryland to be his running mate.

After an investigation into Agnew’s tenure as governor revealed a sordid history of bribery, fraud and corruption, federal prosecutors offered an unusual “plea deal.” In exchange for his immediate resignation, a plea of nolo contendere to a single federal tax violation and a fine of $10,000, Agnew was allowed to pass into private life.

Trump has little to fear from the “criminal referrals” lodged with the Justice Department by the House Jan. 6 committee this week. But the earlier appointment of special counsel Jack Smith to oversee two federal investigations is not political theater. As with every special counsel, Smith has the time, budget and staff with which to pursue Trump, his family and staff. Such investigations can last many years. Add in Trump-focused investigations by the attorney general of New York, the Manhattan district attorney and the Fulton County district attorney in Atlanta, and the legal web in which Trump is ensnared is vast.

I’m not talking about a plea, because I don’t believe there are facts in the public’s view supporting a reasonable theory about the necessary “elements” showing Trump has committed any crime. Period. Only those who have never worked in a White House can doubt that papers often get mixed up in the chaos of a transition, and Trump’s power to declassify when he was president was unlimited. As for the New York and Georgia matters, they seem like very weak legal tea. The idea that Trump intended a riot and occupation of the Capitol? I don’t believe it. And I doubt any reasonable jury instructed on reasonable doubt and the legal meaning of intent would either. But should Trump take the risk that I am wrong?

Trump’s fervent supporters continue to believe he is a noble Jean Valjean of American politics being pursued by a mob of Javerts. But that won’t stop a prosecutor who believes they found the elusive element of “intent.” If Smith — or the other prosecutors — want to indict Trump, an indictment will follow. And political and civic chaos would break loose. Trump didn’t threaten violence in our interview, but he did predict anger, and the country has more than enough anger already. Is there a deal that could spare the nation another collision of the extremes — or even crisis? No one outside of the far right and far left, the one-percenters who thrive on conflict, wants the white-hot anger on all sides that would greet the spectacle of Trump on trial

Trump thrives on battles. But this one has the potential to be ruinously expensive for him, his family and his staff. He has no White House counsel’s office to defend him, only private lawyers expecting to be paid in advance. His Agnew Option would save him untold millions, plus the risk of being convicted of a crime in a hostile jurisdiction. Trump would have to promise to follow the path of other modern former presidents: a memoir, a library and museum, some highly paid appearances, but no more campaigns, for himself or others.
Could he live without rallies? Perhaps, if it meant no more courtrooms. His Agnew Option would not involve suspended sentences, fines or admissions of guilt. Just a laying-down-of-arms on all sides and a commitment from the former president to retire from combat. A settlement.

Trump will never be an Agnew, because Trump scored the greatest upset in US political history and left his mark on politics, the Supreme Court, Middle East diplomacy and more. But like Agnew, he might be ready to move on — not into obscurity, but into a life free of prosecutors.

Trump doesn't need a way out, moron. He hasn't done anything

Agnew option? I don't think so. That fucker got cops beat to within an inch of their life on Jan 6, not to mention his heist of top secret docs.

What Agnew did is a far cry of Trump's criminal activity. On is a crook the other one a dictator wannabe.
"cops beat to within an inch of their life on Jan? " What injuries did the cops suffer? I keep seeing prog morons bleating about this, but no one has mentioned any injuries. Was there anything more serious than a scrapped knee or a sprained ankle?

The only way Trump does not run for President is for someone to shoot him dead, and maybe not even then.

How this will play is, the Dims will allow him to win the GOP nomination and then start in on him like they did the impeachment or January 6th thingy, to smear him as much as possible. But even without the smearing, he probably still loses, it will just be icing on the Marxists cake.

And if, by chance, another Republican wins the nomination, they will do the exact same thing to them

Wash, rinse, repeat.

I mean, come on. What else do they have to run on other than Trump hate?

"cops beat to within an inch of their life on Jan? " What injuries did the cops suffer? I keep seeing prog morons bleating about this, but no one has mentioned any injuries. Was there anything more serious than a scrapped knee or a sprained ankle?
You mean nobody on Fox News has mentioned any injuries. And none of Trump's asseaters like Jordan & McCarthy have mentioned them either. Just because Trump's patsies don't give a shit about cops who saved their asses on Jan. 6 doesn't mean it didn't happen.

IF YOU COULD ONLY PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR OWN ASS.

• Banned
"I once said Donald Trump wanted me dead. I now know he did everything possible to make it happen. that is not hyperbole" - Michael Cohen

Agnew option? I don't think so. That fucker got cops beat to within an inch of their life on Jan 6, not to mention his heist of top secret docs.

What Agnew did is a far cry of Trump's criminal activity. On is a crook the other one a dictator wannabe.
Idiot and propagandist.. is what you r.

The only way Trump does not run for President is for someone to shoot him dead, and maybe not even then.

How this will play is, the Dims will allow him to win the GOP nomination and then start in on him like they did the impeachment or January 6th thingy, to smear him as much as possible. But even without the smearing, he probably still loses, it will just be icing on the Marxists cake.

And if, by chance, another Republican wins the nomination, they will do the exact same thing to them

Wash, rinse, repeat.

I mean, come on. What else do they have to run on other than Trump hate?
Not a damn thing.

You mean nobody on Fox News has mentioned any injuries. And none of Trump's asseaters like Jordan & McCarthy have mentioned them either. Just because Trump's patsies don't give a shit about cops who saved their asses on Jan. 6 doesn't mean it didn't happen.

IF YOU COULD ONLY PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR OWN ASS.
Which cop got beat up? That’s news.

What was Mnuchin's role in the IRS not auditing a sitting POTUS? Mnuchin has 2 Trump properties in Hawaii that made him $100,000 in 2020.

the IRS was bought and paid for by Donald Trump. he should have dealt with a mandatory presidential audit

There are a two word problem with that proposal.

Trump's Ego.

What was Mnuchin's role in the IRS not auditing a sitting POTUS? Mnuchin has 2 Trump properties in Hawaii that made him $100,000 in 2020.

the IRS was bought and paid for by Donald Trump. he should have dealt with a mandatory presidential audit

Why would an audit of trump even be necessary when democrats and their pravda incessantly make up and propagate shit already?

Why would an audit of trump even be necessary when democrats and their pravda incessantly make up and propagate shit already?

Why don't you just declare the tax returns 'fake news' from 'pravada' and pretend they don't exist.

That's kind of your go-to move .

A way out of what? They haven't indicted him and it is extremely unlikely that they ever will. I've offered to lay odds on that, but no one will take me up on it, so I guess everyone knows that it's not going to happen.

Trump wants a way in, not a way out. More correctly, a way back into the White House. Nothing else will satisfy his ego, and he will stop at nothing to meet this goal.

Running unopposed for the GOP nomination in 2024 is a strong step in that direction. Brace yourselves, TDS folk. If he wins and serves, that will be thirteen years of your lives centering around hating one ordinary man.

A way out of what? They haven't indicted him and it is extremely unlikely that they ever will. I've offered to lay odds on that, but no one will take me up on it, so I guess everyone knows that it's not going to happen.

Trump wants a way in, not a way out. More correctly, a way back into the White House. Nothing else will satisfy his ego, and he will stop at nothing to meet this goal.

Running unopposed for the GOP nomination in 2024 is a strong step in that direction. Brace yourselves, TDS folk. If he wins and serves, that will be thirteen years of your lives centering around hating one ordinary man.

Who is 'they'? I'd say the odds of Trump being indicated is better than even.

Whoever you think will indict him.

Good, let's bet on it. Set a reasonable date and I'll bet you one week off the board that it doesn't happen.

Deal. Say, the beginning of Q3? If Trump is charged with any crime commited before today by July 1st, I win. If he isn't, you win.

I can't rightly hold our bet to whatever crazy shit Trump does in the coming months. This will strictly be backward from today.

Does that seem reasonable?

Forum List

Back