Wild Gardening

Stryder50

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2021
Lynden, WA, USA
Been looking into this concept and find it appealing, especially being rural~country living. Will present a few sources in time, but here's a great start.

Hazel Wood Landscapes
Working with Nature, For Nature
Their website, book and youtubes are great source on making ponds, especially wild ponds.

Been looking into this concept and find it appealing, especially being rural~country living. Will present a few sources in time, but here's a great start.

Hazel Wood Landscapes
Their website, book and youtubes are great source on making ponds, especially wild ponds.
Be as wild as you want.

Or is this not what you were thinking about?

Hazel Wood Landscapes

Really being rural you are probably not going to add that much to what the critters already have unless you are talking about an acre surrounded by a million acres of ADM corn LOL so you might want to try to hone in on one or two critters that could use a boost in that area. Urban situations tend to be more where habitat is needed. This is an on-going project with me. Buterflies always get something new every year. This year is more a bird year though being my focus. The numbers seem to have dwindled from a few year back so am working on boosting them up.

There's two big bodies of water on some real estate I bought that are great for crappie and bluegill fishing. Depending on who you ask, they are either large ponds or small lakes.

I just love beer battered crappie, but it takes a lot of them to make a hearty meal. Sometimes I will drag tree branches out of the woods and put them in the water around the shallow edges to give the crappie and bluegill a nice relatively safe environment where they can hide from the bass.

Sure I'll occasionally fry some bass if I'm hungry enough, but those little fishes are more delicious IMO.

Last edited:
There's two big bodies of water on some real estate I bought that are great for crappie and bluegill fishing. Depending on who you ask, they are either large ponds or small lakes.

I just love beer battered crappie, but it takes a lot of them to make a hearty meal. Sometimes I will drag tree branches out of the woods and put them in the water around the shallow edges to give the crappie and bluegill a nice relatively safe environment where they can hide from the bass.

Sure I'll occasionally fry some bass if I'm hungry enough, but those little fishes are more delicious IMO.
I collect Xmess trees in Jan, tie a block to them and make a patch for the tilapia and guapote hatchlings. About 75 or so a year.MY fishing hole
83b9d61d6f8be1a91ba97eedd60ff439.jpg

Hazel Wood Landscapes
I grew up in northeastern Pa. we had a family business on the Upper Delaware River just upstream from Narrowsburg , New York. Down the road from us lived a white witch. she taught me a lot about herbs and wildflowers. I had a garden in the woods in back of the cottage. It was beautiful. Spring Beauty, Lady Slippers, all kinds of ferns and mossses, May Apples, Wild Ginger, Sassafras trees, Indian Pipes, Bloodroot, Hemlock and Pine trees. It was an adventure for a kid creating that wonderland.

I grew up in northeastern Pa. we had a family business on the Upper Delaware River just upstream from Narrowsburg , New York. Down the road from us lived a white witch. she taught me a lot about herbs and wildflowers. I had a garden in the woods in back of the cottage. It was beautiful. Spring Beauty, Lady Slippers, all kinds of ferns and mossses, May Apples, Wild Ginger, Sassafras trees, Indian Pipes, Bloodroot, Hemlock and Pine trees. It was an adventure for a kid creating that wonderland.
Hazelnut bushes, and Those Lantham Raspberries too.

Hazel Wood Landscapes

I'll give it a more serious look later. Thanks Stryder50

Archiving here for now;

Gardener shares tomato-planting hack that almost works ‘too’ well: ‘They’re just too big and healthy’​

If you want really sweet tomatoes buy bags of peat moss or peat soil in the fall when they go on sale spread on top of the area about 1 inch thick where you're going to plant tomatoes in next year allow to get rained in through the winter and in the spring till it in. You'll have fantastic sweet tomatoes.

Archiving here for now;

Gardener shares tomato-planting hack that almost works ‘too’ well: ‘They’re just too big and healthy’​

I do that on the ones out in the field. It takes them longer to produce but makes them need less water. You can also strip off all the leaves and lay them in on their side and just bend them so the top is up when you backfill.

I collect Xmess trees in Jan, tie a block to them and make a patch for the tilapia and guapote hatchlings. About 75 or so a year.MY fishing hole
83b9d61d6f8be1a91ba97eedd60ff439.jpg
What the hell even is that? Looks kinda bass-ish. :aargh:

I've seen a lot of fish; Never anything like that.

An olive tree on the island of Crete. 3,500 years old. Survived the Minoan and Mycenaean civilization. Minos, Minotaurs, Theseus and Hercules. Daedalus and Icarus. The Bronze Collapse, Archaic and Classical Greece. The Hellenistic period and the two Roman empires. the Arab Caliphate and the Turkish Empire. And it's sprouting now.
i651d1.webp

Forum List

Back