Don't Dismiss Soil

Stryder50

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2021
Lynden, WA, USA

The secret world beneath our feet is mind-blowing – and the key to our planet’s future​

Don’t dismiss soil: its unknowable wonders could ensure the survival of our species

EXCERPTS:
Beneath our feet is an ecosystem so astonishing that it tests the limits of our imagination. It’s as diverse as a rainforest or a coral reef. We depend on it for 99% of our food, yet we scarcely know it. Soil.

Under one square metre of undisturbed ground in the Earth’s mid-latitudes (which include the UK) there might live several hundred thousand small animals. Roughly 90% of the species to which they belong have yet to be named. One gram of this soil – less than a teaspoonful – contains around a kilometre of fungal filaments.

When I first examined a lump of soil with a powerful lens, I could scarcely believe what I was seeing. As soon as I found the focal length, it burst into life. I immediately saw springtails – tiny animals similar to insects – in dozens of shapes and sizes. Round, crabby mites were everywhere: in some soils there are half a million in every square metre.

Then I began to see creatures I had never encountered before. What I took to be a tiny white centipede turned out, when I looked it up, to be a different life form altogether, called a symphylid. I spotted something that might have stepped out of a Japanese anime: long and low, with two fine antennae at the front and two at the back, poised and sprung like a virile dragon or a flying horse. It was a bristletail, or dipluran.

As I worked my way through the lump, again and again I found animals whose existence, despite my degree in zoology and a lifetime immersed in natural history, had been unknown to me. After two hours examining a kilogram of soil, I realised I had seen more of the major branches of the animal kingdom than I would on a week’s safari in the Serengeti.

But even more arresting than soil’s diversity and abundance is the question of what it actually is. Most people see it as a dull mass of ground-up rock and dead plants. But it turns out to be a biological structure, built by living creatures to secure their survival, like a wasps’ nest or a beaver dam. Microbes make cements out of carbon, with which they stick mineral particles together, creating pores and passages through which water, oxygen and nutrients pass. The tiny clumps they build become the blocks the animals in the soil use to construct bigger labyrinths.

Soil is fractally scaled, which means its structure is consistent, regardless of magnification. Bacteria, fungi, plants and soil animals, working unconsciously together, build an immeasurably intricate, endlessly ramifying architecture that, like Dust in a Philip Pullman novel, organises itself spontaneously into coherent worlds. This biological structure helps to explain soil’s resistance to droughts and floods: if it were just a heap of matter, it would be swept away.

It also reveals why soil can break down so quickly when it’s farmed. Under certain conditions, when farmers apply nitrogen fertiliser, the microbes respond by burning through the carbon: in other words, the cement that holds their catacombs together. The pores cave in. The passages collapse. The soil becomes sodden, airless and compacted.

Healthy foods grow in healthy soils ... we let the plants take up important nutrients in just the right measure, then eat the plants ... clever I say ... and what we can do to make healthy soil is add compost, amendments, and really any kind of organic material ... give the microflora the foods they need to prosper, and so let prosper our plants, which will bring prosperity to us ... a win/win/win/win/win/win/win scenario ...

Gardeners using excessive nitrogen-based fertilizers organic or not can damage the microorganisms which is why slow release or diluted repeated applications is better.

Too much applied organic matter at a time will make for a temporary shortage of available Nitrogen to the plants which is why adding some green grass clippings (Weed killer free) to the growing bed to add a little Nitrogen to it makes a lot of difference.

Thanks everyone for your input here. Some of you echoed what's in the article linked in the OP.
We are in the midst of our gardening season at this time, so my activity on this board will be a bit reduced for a while.

So far we are having a cooler than usual Spring, though wetness(rain) seems about normal. Electric bill I got the other day mentioned that this time last year we were averaging about 51 degrees F, this year the average is about 47 degrees F. Where's my "global warming" ???

Any way, we have put plants in the ground as they were overgrowing the pots we started them in here in the house.

We've set up our hugulkulture, spent a couple recent weekends with a rental "bobcat'/excavator clearing some turf and digging the trench for it. So far have planted some peppers and seeded for cucumber, watermelon, basil, artichokes, kohlrabi, and others. It's about 40 foot in length and about three feet high at this time. This thread provides some more details on that form of gardening.
Hugulkulture is Another Great Way To Grow in Todays World.

We also have the straw bales going with mostly tomato starts we did from seed, and some peppers and others, about 24 bales, four rows of five with a cross run of four.

Straw Bale Gardening | Home & Garden Information Center

Home - Straw Bale Gardens

iu

iu

Or web-search ^^^ for more, such as images.

We did a version of layered or lasagna gardening when setting the hugulkulture, and will be starting another area of that for the shell beans during the next few days. The soil is a bit compacted, so will run the Matis through, then the cardboard layer and the compost+topsoil on top. Will sprinkle some corn seeds about to provide stalks for the beans to climb since we will plant a mix of bush and pole types. Benefit here is that weeds have a hard time pushing up through the cardboard layer, but roots are able to punch down through. Reduces the weeding chore.

Lasagna Gardening | Home & Garden Information Center

How to Make a Lasagna Garden | Better Homes & Gardens

iu

iu

Of course, this is all part of our approach to;
Wild Gardening
BTW, which includes the "wildlife pond", @ 12'x16', I'm digging and working on, which is in the middle of it all.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your input here. Some of you echoed what's in the article linked in the OP.
We are in the midst of our gardening season at this time, so my activity on this board will be a bit reduced for a while.

So far we are having a cooler than usual Spring, though wetness(rain) seems about normal. Electric bill I got the other day mentioned that this time last year we were averaging about 51 degrees F, this year the average is about 47 degrees F. Where's my "global warming" ???

Any way, we have put plants in the ground as they were overgrowing the pots we started them in here in the house.

We've set up our hugulkulture, spent a couple recent weekends with a rental "bobcat'/excavator clearing some turf and digging the trench for it. So far have planted some peppers and seeded for cucumber, watermelon, basil, artichokes, kohlrabi, and others. It's about 40 foot in length and about three feet high at this time. This thread provides some more details on that form of gardening.

We also have the straw bales going with mostly tomato starts we did from seed, and some peppers and others, about 24 bales, four rows of five with a cross run of four.

iu

iu

We did a version of layered or lasagna gardening when setting the hugulkulture, and will be starting another area of that for the shell beans during the next few days. The soil is a bit compacted, so will run the Matis through, then the cardboard layer and the compost+topsoil on top. Will sprinkle some corn seeds about to provide stalks for the beans to climb since we will plant a mix of bush and pole types. Benefit here is that weeds have a hard time pushing up through the cardboard layer, but roots are able to punch down through. Reduces the weeding chore.

iu

iu

Wild Gardening
How do you keep animals from devouring your plants? We have lots of rabbits and deer.

How do you keep animals from devouring your plants? We have lots of rabbits and deer.
Though we are in the middle of a rural part of our county, geography helps a bit. All around us are either dairy or berry farms and we are a few miles from the forested Cascades, so deer are rarely seen abouts.

We also have a couple of cats whom patrol the yard and area so rabbits are a bit scarce also.

Main issue tends to be slugs and snails, and we put out empty tuna cans filled with cheap beer to help keep their numbers down and away from our veggies, etc.

Though we are in the middle of a rural part of our county, geography helps a bit. All around us are either dairy or berry farms and we are a few miles from the forested Cascades, so deer are rarely seen abouts.

We also have a couple of cats whom patrol the yard and area so rabbits are a bit scarce also.

Main issue tends to be slugs and snails, and we put out empty tuna cans filled with cheap beer to help keep their numbers down and away from our veggies, etc.
I’m planning to encircle the garden with 4-5 foot tall chicken wire. The garden won’t be very big. Something like 15’x10’.

iu

iu

iu

iu

Wild Gardening
BTW, which includes the "wildlife pond", @ 12'x16', I'm digging and working on, which is in the middle of it all.
I grew up in agriculture and there is always something new coming out. Thanks for the thread.

tilling is also destructive to soil life,,

It is WHY I use the raised bed method and never walk on the growing surface.

My beds are currently 20' long and 4' wide using 2x6 boards for the sides and 18" paths in between the beds.

When I hopefully move to the south about 125 miles I will change bed dimensions to the following, 30' long by 5' wide with 2x8 boards untreated paths 3' wide.

Make a spray out of dish detergent water ... or tea water with detergent ... peppermint or cigarette butts ... keep sprayed on your plants, the rain washes this stuff off so you'll need to reapply regularly ...

You don't see the deer because there might be wolves about ... and when you say "cats", do you mean mountain lions? ... because dairies and berry farms around here in Jefferson are lousy with painters ...

Make a spray out of dish detergent water ... or tea water with detergent ... peppermint or cigarette butts ... keep sprayed on your plants, the rain washes this stuff off so you'll need to reapply regularly ...

You don't see the deer because there might be wolves about ... and when you say "cats", do you mean mountain lions? ... because dairies and berry farms around here in Jefferson are lousy with painters ...
Wolves tend to be miles away in the forested Cascade Mountains. We do have coyotes wandering about. About 8-10 miles South of here, at the "big city" of Bellingham one will see deer on occasion, but that is because there are green belts with lots of trees and brush running from the mountains into the city.

Out here it is very open and the scattered acre or so of clustered trees tend to be a mile or two apart, so deer are a VERY rare sighting.

I'm referring to our domestic cat pets, though one of the guys, at about 21-22 pounds and near twice the size of usual, does look a bit like a miniature black panther. He's the more aggressive hunter of the pair.

Forum List

Back