Why we need high capacity magazines

This reminds me of the time (circa 1986) when the FBI busted two bank robbers in Florida. the two perps were hit multiple times and before they were put down killed twi agents and wounded 4 more (I think). At the time FBI agents were using 9mm semiautomatic guns and 12 gauge shotguns. It was estimated that the agents fired more than 100 rounds before the firefight ended. So much for small capacity magazines. It isn't so much if you hit the target, it's what you're hitting the target with and if your're hitting mass. The average gun owner doesn't practice enough, especially when adrenaline is surging through the body. That is why the FBI now carries 10mm, or .40 cal large ammo capacity pistols and buck and ball 12 gauge ammo.

Why we need high capacity magazines​

Larry Correia:

We should ban magazines over X number of shots!

I’ve seen this one pop up a lot. It sounds good to the ear and really satisfies that we’ve got to do something need. It sounds simple. Bad guys shoot a lot of people in a mass shooting. So if he has magazines that hold fewer rounds, ergo then he’ll not be able to shoot as many people.

Wrong. And I’ll break it down, first why my side wants more rounds in our gun, second why tactically it doesn’t really stop the problem, and third, why stopping them is a logistical impossibility.

First off, why do gun owners want magazines that hold more rounds? Because sometimes you miss. Because usually—contrary to the movies—you have to hit an opponent multiple times in order to make them stop. Because sometimes you may have multiple assailants. We don’t have more rounds in the magazine so we can shoot more, we have more rounds in the magazine so we are forced to manipulate our gun less if we have to shoot more.

The last assault weapons ban capped capacities at ten rounds. You quickly realize ten rounds sucks when you take a wound ballistics class like I have and go over case after case after case after case of enraged, drug addled, prison hardened, perpetrators who soaked up five, seven, nine, even fifteen bullets and still walked under their own power to the ambulance. That isn’t uncommon at all. Legally, you can shoot them until they cease to be a threat, and keep in mind that what normally causes a person to stop is loss of blood pressure, so I used to tell my students that anybody worth
shooting once was worth shooting five or seven times. You shoot them until they leave you alone.

Also, you’re going to miss. It is going to happen. If you can shoot pretty little groups at the range, those groups are going to expand dramatically under the stress and adrenalin. The more you train, the better you will do, but you can still may miss, or the bad guy may end up hiding behind something which your bullets don’t penetrate. Nobody has ever survived a gunfight and then said afterwards, “Darn, I wish I hadn’t brought all that extra ammo.”

So having more rounds in the gun is a good thing for self-defense use.

Now tactically, let’s say a mass shooter is on a rampage in a school. Unless his brain has turned to mush and he’s a complete idiot, he’s not going to walk up right next to you while he reloads anyway. Unlike the CCW holder who gets attacked and has to defend himself in whatever crappy situation he finds himself in, the mass shooter is the aggressor. He’s picked the engagement range. They are cowards who are murdering running and hiding children, but don’t for a second make the mistake of thinking they are dumb. Many of these scumbags are actually very intelligent. They’re just broken and evil.

In the cases that I’m aware of where the shooter had guns that held fewer rounds they just positioned themselves back a bit while firing or they brought more guns, and simply switched guns and kept on shooting, and then reloaded before they moved to the next planned firing position. Unless you are a fumble fingered idiot, anybody who practices in front of a mirror a few dozen times can get to where they can insert a new magazine into a gun in a few seconds.

Continue reading:
An opinion on gun control « Monster Hunter Nation

[Excerpt]

Read more:
Why we need high capacity magazines | Flopping Aces

I read the news regularly, but I've never seen an example of someone being attacked by multiple attackers and needing to defend himself with high capacity magazines.

Since you know so much about it, post an example of such an attack!

We need them to protect ourselves from the criminals.

We just had a guy rob a bank out here using an ak 47.

If they have them we need them too.

Obama isn't protecting us.

Larry Correia:

I’ve seen this one pop up a lot. It sounds good to the ear and really satisfies that we’ve got to do something need. It sounds simple. Bad guys shoot a lot of people in a mass shooting. So if he has magazines that hold fewer rounds, ergo then he’ll not be able to shoot as many people.

Wrong. And I’ll break it down, first why my side wants more rounds in our gun, second why tactically it doesn’t really stop the problem, and third, why stopping them is a logistical impossibility.

First off, why do gun owners want magazines that hold more rounds? Because sometimes you miss. Because usually—contrary to the movies—you have to hit an opponent multiple times in order to make them stop. Because sometimes you may have multiple assailants. We don’t have more rounds in the magazine so we can shoot more, we have more rounds in the magazine so we are forced to manipulate our gun less if we have to shoot more.

The last assault weapons ban capped capacities at ten rounds. You quickly realize ten rounds sucks when you take a wound ballistics class like I have and go over case after case after case after case of enraged, drug addled, prison hardened, perpetrators who soaked up five, seven, nine, even fifteen bullets and still walked under their own power to the ambulance. That isn’t uncommon at all. Legally, you can shoot them until they cease to be a threat, and keep in mind that what normally causes a person to stop is loss of blood pressure, so I used to tell my students that anybody worth
shooting once was worth shooting five or seven times. You shoot them until they leave you alone.

Also, you’re going to miss. It is going to happen. If you can shoot pretty little groups at the range, those groups are going to expand dramatically under the stress and adrenalin. The more you train, the better you will do, but you can still may miss, or the bad guy may end up hiding behind something which your bullets don’t penetrate. Nobody has ever survived a gunfight and then said afterwards, “Darn, I wish I hadn’t brought all that extra ammo.”

Now tactically, let’s say a mass shooter is on a rampage in a school. Unless his brain has turned to mush and he’s a complete idiot, he’s not going to walk up right next to you while he reloads anyway. Unlike the CCW holder who gets attacked and has to defend himself in whatever crappy situation he finds himself in, the mass shooter is the aggressor. He’s picked the engagement range. They are cowards who are murdering running and hiding children, but don’t for a second make the mistake of thinking they are dumb. Many of these scumbags are actually very intelligent. They’re just broken and evil.

In the cases that I’m aware of where the shooter had guns that held fewer rounds they just positioned themselves back a bit while firing or they brought more guns, and simply switched guns and kept on shooting, and then reloaded before they moved to the next planned firing position. Unless you are a fumble fingered idiot, anybody who practices in front of a mirror a few dozen times can get to where they can insert a new magazine into a gun in a few seconds.

Continue reading:

[Excerpt]

Read more:

I read the news regularly, but I've never seen an example of someone being attacked by multiple attackers and needing to defend himself with high capacity magazines.

Since statistics show that the firearm of choice for home defense and personal protection is a semi-automatic pistol with an eight to ten round magazine, now considered "high capacity" in New York, I'd say there are more than enough examples.......... regardless of the number of shots fired from said firearm.......

Home | The Armed Citizen

What are you a fumble fingered idiot? The OP said you didn't need them.

You aren't going to be at a bank with a rifle and if it's robbed, and you have a pistol, the best thing you can do is to do nothing. You would only be endangering yourself and others.

It's your police forces job to protect you from crime, not the President's job.

If you NRA types supported sensible gun control laws, that bank robber wouldn't have an AK 47 type weapon.

It's very simple we don't know how much ammo we may need in a gun fight and changing magazines in a gun fight may cost very precious time.

No, it costs precious time gunning down innocent civilians in mass shootings.

You all need to realize, assault weapons and high round capacity magazines are not needed for anything but killing lots of people in a short time.

That is rather the point of the 2nd Amendment isn't it? It's bad enough that civilians have been limited to semi-automatic weapons and not have full access to full auto weapons like the military. The whole point of the second amendment is to give the citizenry the wherewithal to overthrow a tyrannical government. Ergo, we'd have to take on the military. It's a hard enough job period, but without full auto and now talking about limiting magazine capacity, it's just making it harder to give the 2nd Amendment viability. As it is most people don't even own enough magazines to make a full combat load of 210 rounds in magazines. Most folks probably only have about 2 or 3 for each weapon. That won't get you through the first fire fight.

You may not like the second amendment, but it's the only reason you have the other 9.

To be clear the second amendment was not enacted to give the people the right to hunt or to protect themselves against criminals. Those are nice side benefits but that's not the purpose the anti-federalists had in mind when they made sure it was in the Bill of Rights.

You aren't going to be at a bank with a rifle and if it's robbed, and you have a pistol, the best thing you can do is to do nothing. You would only be endangering yourself and others.

If you NRA types supported sensible gun control laws, that bank robber wouldn't have an AK 47 type weapon.

When was the last time you saw the cops prevent a robbery? Other than in the movies. Never. They come in after and take pics of the bodies and do some fingerprints and paperwork and leave so someone can mop up the blood.

You non-NRA types are consistently the problem with this society. You have these complete fairytale fantasies about what happens in real life, which you clearly have only a nodding acquaintance with.

In real life, citizens armed with firearms stop crime every day. This feel good gobbledy-gook about about you would only hurt yourselves or others if you tried to do something is only believed by people who wet their pants every time they see a "scary gun."

Larry Correia:

Continue reading:

[Excerpt]

Read more:

In this instance, a woman with her two kids go and hide in the attic while the perp seeks them out. So much for the oft quoted advice, "Just give him what he wants and he'll go away." So he opens the attic door and finds his victims are armed with a gun. She proceeds to fire all 6 shots in the gun (a revolver). She hits him 5 times. Trouble is, he's still alive. Now she has an empty gun and a wounded maniac.

Woman defends self and kids

Now, what if that guy had an accomplice? SHE AND THE KIDS WOULD BE DEAD. End of story.

Larry Correia:

Continue reading:

[Excerpt]

Read more:

I did.

A mag can be made at home on the work table with a few materials a little know how. Let them do their worst. People will be pumping them out and selling them on the black market anyway. If the government wants to make law abiding citizens criminals with these dubious bannings, let them.

In the end they will lose control.

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that Sparky...... :lmao:
(By 2007 there were an estimated 3,261,725 privately owned "military style" semi-automatic rifles in the US alone)

Larry Correia:

Continue reading:

[Excerpt]

Read more:

Since statistics show that the firearm of choice for home defense and personal protection is a semi-automatic pistol with an eight to ten round magazine, now considered "high capacity" in New York, I'd say there are more than enough examples.......... regardless of the number of shots fired from said firearm.......

Home*|*The Armed Citizen

I've seen a lot of those cases on the news when they happened and usually read many stories about them, but none of those cases involves being attacked by multiple attackers and needing high capacity magazines to defend yourself. They are basically pistol cases and not 30 round magazine in an assault weapons cases.

Home*|*The Armed Citizen

I've seen a lot of those cases on the news when they happened and usually read many stories about them, but none of those cases involves being attacked by multiple attackers and needing high capacity magazines to defend yourself. They are basically pistol cases and not 30 round magazine in an assault weapons cases.

You specifically stated "high capacity magazines", not a 30 round magazine in a (sic) so called "assault weapon"............. Again, anything with a capacity of more than 5 rounds is now considered "high capacity" in New York....... Just responding literally..... don't life suck?

It's very simple we don't know how much ammo we may need in a gun fight and changing magazines in a gun fight may cost very precious time.

No, it costs precious time gunning down innocent civilians in mass shootings.

You all need to realize, assault weapons and high round capacity magazines are not needed for anything but killing lots of people in a short time.

You all need to realize that laws will not prevent murderers from keeping and using their assault rifles. Explosives are already illegal, yet the Oklahoma City bombings and 911 relied on bombs and airplanes to kill thousands. Those are examples of how well criminals and terrorists obey our laws. If a person is evil or mentally ill, they will find a way and they don't give a shit about gun-free or bomb-free zones. We'd all love to live in crime-free zones, but that ain't happening.

You all need to realize that a potential victim isn't always just dealing with one criminal at a time. Gangs have descended upon people in their own homes.

You all need to realize that if a person is law abiding and is only interested in collecting guns or protecting themselves and their families if need be, which most are, then they could own the most dangerous weapons known to mankind and yet pose no threat at all to anyone but the bad guys.

You all need to realize that we have a right to protect ourselves from one or a dozen intruders and we have no duty to die just so some can pretend that gun control makes us safer.

Home*|*The Armed Citizen

You specifically stated "high capacity magazines", not a 30 round magazine in a (sic) so called "assault weapon"............. Again, anything with a capacity of more than 5 rounds is now considered "high capacity" in New York....... Just responding literally..... don't life suck?

It's more than that in New York, but that doesn't define high capacity magazines, because NY makes a law. They've been defined. This is what they are and who makes them:

Here are five of the NRA’s biggest gun industry backers who have contributed $1 million or higher. They include the biggest financial contributor — MidwayUSA, a distributor of high-capacity magazine clips, but also oil and gas company Clayton Williams Energy, Inc. Other gun industry donors include Beretta USA Corporation, Pierce Bullet Seal Target Systems, LLC, and Springfield Armory, Inc.

Source: The National Memo » NRA?s Top 5 Gun Industry Donors

You all need to realize that a potential victim isn't always just dealing with one criminal at a time. Gangs have descended upon people in their own homes.

Then you have the poor Korean-Americans in LA defending their neighborhoods and shops during the Rodney King riot.

It's more than that in New York, but that doesn't define high capacity magazines, because NY makes a law. They've been defined. This is what they are and who makes them:

Here are five of the NRA’s biggest gun industry backers who have contributed $1 million or higher. They include the biggest financial contributor — MidwayUSA, a distributor of high-capacity magazine clips, but also oil and gas company Clayton Williams Energy, Inc. Other gun industry donors include Beretta USA Corporation, Pierce Bullet Seal Target Systems, LLC, and Springfield Armory, Inc.

Yeah? So? and who is Schumer's biggest backers? Wall Street. Look what happened there.........

In my book, high capacity is in excess of 30 rounds. Like the idiot in Aurora used the ever stupid 100 round magazine. He got exactly what you will get with these type magazine, a jam. Failed to feed. I think it's a stupid idea, banning magazine capacity of a certain number because of some misinformed thought that this will somehow magically prevent more deaths, like people don't know how to reload. Takes like 1.5 second to do it. The Sandy Hook guy reloaded frequently while he was in there. Did you know? He never emptied one magazine. The speculation is that this is experience gained from video games where you never enter a room without a full magazine.

That seems to put the lie to the whole argument. But after all, this isn't really about guns. It's about control.

Forum List

Back