Why the 2nd Amendment needs to be reconsidered...

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
Not that I think it was about anything but Militias, but let's pretend we are in National Rampage Association crazy land...

This is a Revolutionary War Era Musket. It could fire 2-3 rounds a minute in the hands of a trained infantryman. Accurate to only about 100 yards.

20020045-449_lrg.jpg

This is a AR-15 Bushmaster.

bushmaster_ar15_carbine.jpg

It can fire 45 Rounds per minute, and has a maximum effective range of 450 meters.

Now, before one of you mutants gets on here and tells me, "Well, the First Amendment never considered Television", you are right.

And we don't treat Television like the printed press. There are restrictions on what you can broadcast, when you can broadcast, and who can broadcast. More to the point, the Television industry largely self-regulates. they don't put commercials for Trojan condoms on The Hub kiddie network.

Maybe the president shouldn't control the air force since there were no planes in 1776.

Not sure what that had to do with anything I said, but okay, please go there.

Incidently, the government DID make allowances for airplanes as part of the armed forces. They created the Air Force as a separate branch of the military and combined the Navy and War Departments into a unified "Department of Defense"....

In short they ADAPTED to the technology.

MOre to the point, if you use the logic of the National Rampage Association, private citizens should be able to have armed fighter craft... but I think the FAA would want to have a word with you if you tried that.

Not that I think it was about anything but Militias, but let's pretend we are in National Rampage Association crazy land...

This is a Revolutionary War Era Musket. It could fire 2-3 rounds a minute in the hands of a trained infantryman. Accurate to only about 100 yards.

20020045-449_lrg.jpg

It can fire 45 Rounds per minute, and has a maximum effective range of 450 meters.

Now, before one of you mutants gets on here and tells me, "Well, the First Amendment never considered Television", you are right.

And we don't treat Television like the printed press. There are restrictions on what you can broadcast, when you can broadcast, and who can broadcast. More to the point, the Television industry largely self-regulates. they don't put commercials for Trojan condoms on The Hub kiddie network.
At the time the 2nd was written, slavery was legal and women couldn't vote.

I'll just go ahead and assume you support those as well.

Maybe the president shouldn't control the air force since there were no planes in 1776.

Incidently, the government DID make allowances for airplanes as part of the armed forces. They created the Air Force as a separate branch of the military and combined the Navy and War Departments into a unified "Department of Defense"....

MOre to the point, if you use the logic of the National Rampage Association, private citizens should be able to have armed fighter craft... but I think the FAA would want to have a word with you if you tried that.

So the government can evolve in it's powers but the rights of the people have to be frozen in the 18th century?

Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

I don't give a rat's ass what the NRA does or says as I am not a member and never will be.

20020045-449_lrg.jpg

But the citizenry DID have the same level of personal firearm as the military in many many cases.. which was more advanced than it was 100 or 200 years before that... they did know things advance, they were not stupid

20020045-449_lrg.jpg

I was watching the McClaughlin group this weekend. It's pretty much a good show to get the views of the more "moderate" conservatives in the country. And these "moderates" use to be considered "far right".

In any case..Jim Carney said something that was truly scary. He wanted the 2nd amendment to remove the "defense of the state" and "militia" part..as they were too confusing.

The McLaughlin Group

20020045-449_lrg.jpg

But the citizenry DID have the same level of personal firearm as the military in many many cases.. which was more advanced than it was 100 or 200 years before that... they did know things advance, they were not stupid

That's mainly because they were the military.

And the 2nd amendment adapted to technology as well.
In the late 18th century, out forefathers forsaw the possibility that citizens might have to defend themselves from a government armed with these:

20020045-449_lrg.jpg

230 years later, citizens need to be armed in the eventuality that they have to defend against a government armed with these:

Sorry Joe. You lose again.

You did much better ranting against Mormons than firearms. Either go back to that or find a new shtick. Maybe Jews?

In the late 18th century, out forefathers forsaw the possibility that citizens might have to defend themselves from a government armed with these:

20020045-449_lrg.jpg

230 years later, citizens need to be armed in the eventuality that they have to defend against a government armed with these:

You did much better ranting against Mormons than firearms. Either go back to that or find a new shtick. Maybe Jews?

The Constitution does not nor did it ever advocate for the violent overthrow of the government.

In fact..it does the opposite.

20020045-449_lrg.jpg

The Constitution does not nor did it ever advocate for the violent overthrow of the government.

No, the Declaration of Independence did that.

I don't think you understand the intention of the Framers in passing the second amendment. The right to bear whatever type of arms naturally evolves with the development of technology, because the citizens must be able to be comparably armed as that of the standard soldier.

More to the point, the Television industry largely self-regulates. they don't put commercials for Trojan condoms on The Hub kiddie network.

Guns are already out there and in the hands of criminals, and no act of government is going to prevent that. You are trying to put the condom on after you catch HIV.

20020045-449_lrg.jpg

Joey....you lucky dog!

Like Mighty Mouse....I'm here to save the day...and save you further embarrassment.

Clearly you have no clue as to what 'militia' means.

Now....get a pencil, and take notes, a quiz to follow:

1. George Mason, Father of the Bill of Rights:"I ask, Who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers."
(Jonathan Elliot, The Debates of the Several State Conventions on the Adoption of the Federal Constitution, [NY: Burt Franklin,1888] p.425-6)

2. The Constitution gave Congress the power to raise and support a national army, and to organize “the Militia.” This is because an army didn’t naturally exist, while “the Militia” only had to be organized: it always existed. (See enumerated powers in Article 1,Section 8.)

3. The Supreme Court, in US v. Miller, (1939) “…militia system…implied the general obligation of all adult male inhabitants to possess arms, and, with certain exceptions, to cooperate in the work of defence.” It concluded that the militia was primarily civilians.

4. Today, federal law defines “the militia of the United States” to include all able-bodied males from 17 to 45 and members of the National Guard up to age 64, but excluding those who have no intention of becoming citizens, and active military personnel. (US Code Title 10, sect. 311-313)

Ready to begin your apology?

20020045-449_lrg.jpg

No, the Declaration of Independence did that.

And the Declaration of Independence is a one shot deal.

No legislation is derived from it nor is it a template for governance.

And it describes the secession of ties with a government that was overseas. Not domestic.

I don't think you understand the intention of the Framers in passing the second amendment. The right to bear whatever type of arms naturally evolves with the development of technology, because the citizens must be able to be comparably armed as that of the standard soldier.

More to the point, the Television industry largely self-regulates. they don't put commercials for Trojan condoms on The Hub kiddie network.

Guns are already out there and in the hands of criminals, and no act of government is going to prevent that. You are trying to put the condom on after you catch HIV.

What????

You and I agree, Muddle????

A sure sign of the apocalypse!!!

Forum List

Back