Why Texas’ GOP-controlled House wants to impeach Republican Attorney General Ken Paxton

Magnus

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2020
After years of legal and ethical scandals swirling around Texas Republican Attorney General Ken Paxton, the state’s GOP-controlled House of Representatives has moved toward an impeachment vote that could quickly throw him from office.

The extraordinary and rarely used maneuver comes in the final days of the state’s legislative session and sets up a bruising political fight. It pits Paxton, who has aligned himself closely with former President Donald Trump and the state’s hard-right conservatives, against House Republican leadership, who appear to have suddenly had enough of the allegations of wrongdoing that have long dogged Texas’ top lawyer.

The impeachment reaches back to 2015, when Paxton was indicted on securities fraud charges for which he still has not stood trial. The lawmakers charged Paxton with making false statements to state securities regulators.

But most of the articles stem from Paxton’s connections to Paul and a remarkable revolt by the attorney general’s top deputies in 2020.

That fall, eight senior Paxton aides reported their boss to the FBI, accusing him of bribery and abusing his office to help Paul. Four of them later brought the whistleblower lawsuit. The report prompted a federal criminal investigation that in February was taken over by the U.S. Justice Department’s Washington-based Public Integrity Section.

The impeachment charges cover myriad accusations related to Paxton’s dealings with Paul. The allegations include attempts to interfere in foreclosure lawsuits and improperly issuing legal opinions to benefit Paul, and firing, harassing and interfering with staff who reported what was going on. The bribery charges stem from the affair, as well as Paul allegedly paying for expensive renovations to Paxton’s Austin home.

his wife, Angela, a two-term state senator who could be in the awkward position of voting on her husband’s political future. It’s unclear whether she would or should participate in the Senate trial, where the 31 members make margins tight.

In a twist, Paxton’s impeachment deals with an extramarital affair he acknowledged to members of his staff years earlier. The impeachment charges include bribery for one of Paxton’s donors, Austin real estate developer Nate Paul, allegedly employing the woman with whom he had the affair in exchange for legal help.

The impeachment reaches back to 2015, when Paxton was indicted on securities fraud charges for which he still has not stood trial. The lawmakers charged Paxton with making false statements to state securities regulators.

Indicted in 2015 and still not had a trial. And people wonder why I support allowing the people to get away with ignoring the laws also.

After years of legal and ethical scandals swirling around Texas Republican Attorney General Ken Paxton, the state’s GOP-controlled House of Representatives has moved toward an impeachment vote that could quickly throw him from office.

The extraordinary and rarely used maneuver comes in the final days of the state’s legislative session and sets up a bruising political fight. It pits Paxton, who has aligned himself closely with former President Donald Trump and the state’s hard-right conservatives, against House Republican leadership, who appear to have suddenly had enough of the allegations of wrongdoing that have long dogged Texas’ top lawyer.

But most of the articles stem from Paxton’s connections to Paul and a remarkable revolt by the attorney general’s top deputies in 2020.

That fall, eight senior Paxton aides reported their boss to the FBI, accusing him of bribery and abusing his office to help Paul. Four of them later brought the whistleblower lawsuit. The report prompted a federal criminal investigation that in February was taken over by the U.S. Justice Department’s Washington-based Public Integrity Section.

The impeachment charges cover myriad accusations related to Paxton’s dealings with Paul. The allegations include attempts to interfere in foreclosure lawsuits and improperly issuing legal opinions to benefit Paul, and firing, harassing and interfering with staff who reported what was going on. The bribery charges stem from the affair, as well as Paul allegedly paying for expensive renovations to Paxton’s Austin home.

his wife, Angela, a two-term state senator who could be in the awkward position of voting on her husband’s political future. It’s unclear whether she would or should participate in the Senate trial, where the 31 members make margins tight.

In a twist, Paxton’s impeachment deals with an extramarital affair he acknowledged to members of his staff years earlier. The impeachment charges include bribery for one of Paxton’s donors, Austin real estate developer Nate Paul, allegedly employing the woman with whom he had the affair in exchange for legal help.

Paxton has just about run out of rope~

Couldn’t the Governor dismiss him like DeSantis did??

If the allegations are true, kudos to the GOP House for removing a corrupt AG.

Maybe the Democrats will learn something and follow their lead....

:shok:

:auiqs.jpg:Naaaaaaah! Who am I kidding?!

If the allegations are true, kudos to the GOP House for removing a corrupt AG.

Maybe the Democrats will learn something and follow their lead....

:shok:

:auiqs.jpg:Naaaaaaah! Who am I kidding?!
Let me guess, you didn't read the article? If you had, you would have seen the only reason your fellow retards are trying to impeach Paxton is that Paxton is putting everyone on the hook for paying his $3.3 million lawsuit settlement.

Not because Paxton is corrupt or anything like that. Fuck that. When did the Republicans ever care about crimes committed by their own, amIright?

Don't believe me? Read their own words:
But for Paxton’s own request for a taxpayer-funded settlement over his wrongful conduct, Paxton would not be facing impeachment,” the investigative committee wrote in a Friday memo.

Last edited:
Here is an oldie but goodie about the time when Paxton stole a pen! Typical Republican, amIright?

Let me guess, you didn't read the article? If you had, you would have seen the only reason your fellow retards are trying to impeach Paxton is that Paxton is putting everyone on the hook for paying his $3.3 million lawsuit settlement.

Not because Paxton is corrupt or anything like that. Fuck that. When did the Republicans ever care about crimes committed by their own, amIright?

Don't believe me? Read their own words:
But for Paxton’s own request for a taxpayer-funded settlement over his wrongful conduct, Paxton would not be facing impeachment,” the investigative committee wrote in a Friday memo.

I did not read the article because I am not from Texas, and this has no impact on me. I don't care about Paxton.

I did not say I do not believe you.

I said if everything is true, if all his crimes are proven, I hope he gets indicted, charged, and convicted.

In the meantime, I said I applaud the GOP for moving to Impeach him.

Other than the fact that you SEEM to have your 'TUCK' pants in a wad and are eager for a senseless fight ... despite we both agreeing on this ... what is it about what I said just now that you disapprove of / disagree with?

Impeached. His wife gets to vote in the Senate. Any chance she does the right thing and recuses herself from a vote?

FxKDQPcXwAAtx8-

Forum List

Back