Why Not to Buy a Home

You must come to terms with the simple fact that nobody owns their home. They merely rent it from local government.

Don't believe me? OK, try not paying your property tax (rent) and see how long it takes to get evicted.

We've always made money on any property we've sold.
We also havent had a house payment for 25 years.
I'll stick to buying.

I assume in making money you included mortgage payments as part of the investment...guessing you are including that.

We've only had a mortgage on the first house we bought after we got married.
Paid 75k for it and paid it off in 12 years and sold it for 114k the following year.
Ever since we've paid cash.
Our current homes monthly mortgage would be around $2500 a month if we made payments.
We've lived here for 13 years without a mortgage payment.
Saving us a shit ton of money.
Smart ,,,,,,I couldn't afford to not have a mortgage but lowered my payments as rates went down Then paid it all off after 10 years still in the same home for 25 years Tripled in value

Being DINKS made it much easier.
Double Income No Kids??,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I had 2 and just 1 income

I'll stick to buying.

I assume in making money you included mortgage payments as part of the investment...guessing you are including that.

Paid 75k for it and paid it off in 12 years and sold it for 114k the following year.
Our current homes monthly mortgage would be around $2500 a month if we made payments.
Smart ,,,,,,I couldn't afford to not have a mortgage but lowered my payments as rates went down Then paid it all off after 10 years still in the same home for 25 years Tripled in value

With no kids you both might as well work.
It also allowed me to retire at 46.

there are good sides to having and not having kids..Hope you didn't retire too early Money tends to run out

there are good sides to having and not having kids..Hope you didn't retire too early Money tends to run out

Nah we're good.
The wife is an officer/banker for Greenbank.
She's worked for the same guy for over 30 years and knows Her shit.

5b48d9c2c0229b1c008b49f6-1536-1152.jpg

In my lifetime, I’ve only “owned” one home and that’s because my wife at the time wanted one better than the one she had. My current wife has been nagging me for 25 years to buy a home and I’ve done my best to deal with it – we still rent.

Here’s a financial planners reasons for not buying:

1. Single family homes are not good investments

2. There's an opportunity cost to saving (for a down payment) versus investing

3. It's harder to manage cash flow as a homeowner, making it difficult to consistently invest

4. A house can limit your freedom and flexibility

5. Renting means getting to live lighter

6. I'm just not interested [This is me!]

Explanations @ I'm a financial planner — here's why I won't buy a home
give her hope; insist, you will establish a petty cash fund for that purpose, with your next, "run in the stock market".

He says he makes 30K+ on dividend income.... do with that what you will.

Jealousy is a terrible thing.
I hear it tears you up inside.

When your wife has worked with top minds in banking for thirty years you get some great experience in investing.
I mean I know that sounds like a pipe dream to someone like you but it actually happens to smart dedicated people.

I'll stick to buying.

DINKS? No fair that's too easy.

When your wife has worked with top minds in banking for thirty years you get some great experience in investing.
I mean I know that sounds like a pipe dream to someone like you but it actually happens to smart dedicated people.
:rolleyes:

I bought my first home at twenty-five, I hated renting a people telling me what to do...I bought one more place at thirty-seven and still live there. I hate moving..As far as an investment I don't look at it like that. I have to have a place to live and whether you prefer to rent or buy you must pay to live...Having a home and secure place to exist has a domiciling effect on the psyche and makes one more secure.

I'll stick to buying.

It wasn't that easy.
Neither one of us has a college degree and I dropped out of high school in the tenth grade.

I bought my first home at twenty-five, I hated renting a people telling me what to do...I bought one more place at thirty-seven and still live there. I hate moving..As far as an investment I don't look at it like that. I have to have a place to live and whether you prefer to rent or buy you must pay to live...Having a home and secure place to exist has a domiciling effect on the psyche and makes one more secure.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the hill. I'm trying to buy a little plot of land and put a trailer on it up by Flagstaff so I can do the two things I love; get on 40 and drive out to Cali; and go to the Grand Canyon.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the hill. I'm trying to buy a little plot of land and put a trailer on it up by Flagstaff so I can do the two things I love; get on 40 and drive out to Cali; and go to the Grand Canyon.
Not 40! We used to drive to California on 40 from OKC in the 1960's to 1980's. I did move on 40 acres...got a steal since the area is depressed..So I take anti-depressants..

I'm not even claiming to be the smart one in my marriage when it comes to handling money.
That'd be the wife.
However I made damn good money making everything from medical equipment such as artificial hearts to flight hardware for the shuttle program.
In fact between her smarts with money and my smarts with things mechanical we make a great team!
And I retired at 46 with her blessing.

Last edited:

I'm not even claiming to be the smart on in my marriage when it comes to handling money.
That'd be the wife.
However I made damn good money making everything from medical equipment such as artificial hearts to flight hardware for the shuttle program.
In fact between her smarts with money and my smarts with things mechanical we made a great team!
And I retired at 46 with her blessing.
And tinker in the garage.

It wasn't that easy.
Neither one of us has a college degree and I dropped out of high school in the tenth grade.
We all do it our own way. Congrats on your ultimate success.

Forum List

Back