Why Isn't This A Death Penalty?

HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT SUCKER PUNCHES TEACHER KNOCKING HIM UNCONSCIOUS! - YouTube

1. "PITTSBURGH (AP) -- A teenager who sucker punched a schoolteacher in a downtown alley - an attack caught on surveillance video - apparently picked the victim at random, police and school officials said.

2. The attack happened last Thursday at about 3:30 p.m. The surveillance video, which Pittsburgh police used to make an arrest Tuesday,...

3. ....the 15-year-old suspect walking with several other youths past 50-year-old James Addlespurger.

4. Addlespurger, who teaches English at an arts high school, was walking in the other direction and did not appear to interact with the youths in any way.

5. The suspect suddenly approached Addlespurger and punched him in the head. The teacher fell hard onto a curb as the teen and the others continued walking.

6. ...there's something very terrifying about it," said Pittsburgh Councilman R. Daniel Lavelle, whose district includes downtown. "In the video it appears

he was laughing afterwards,

which is very disturbing."

7. ... taken to a juvenile detention center on a charge of simple assault but was not identified ...

8. City schools spokeswoman Ebony Pugh said the school system can't take any formal action against the suspect because the attack happened off school grounds and after the school day had ended.

9. The suspect attends a school for troubled youths ... there's no evidence the suspect, or his friends, knew Addlespurger or exchanged words with him."
News from The Associated Press

I see no reason for this thug to be allowed to walk the earth.

This country needs to introduce painful and humiliating punishments again. You take this little bastard and tie him to the flag pole and cane him I guarantee that shit will slow down pretty fast. Tie a drink driver to that same flag pole and give him 100 lashes I bet drunk driving stats go down. Cut off the thumbs of a first time rapist or child molester and I bet that go's down to. As it stands, this worm will try this on an armed citizen and get retroactively aborted for the good of mankind.

My question was reality-based as opposed to jurisprudence based.
I viewed the video....and feel that murder was the intent.
The fact that the victim landed with his head striking the curb adds evidence.
The thugs background, 'troubled youth,' even more so.

So, you read minds now?

And, my point is...is anyone safe with this thug walking the earth?
I can't see him being given a second shot at an innocent human being.

What are your credentials to make this determination? You've watched a video on the internet and decided?

Given the opportunity....if I was on a jury, and capital punishment offered....I'd vote yes.

The death penalty wouldn't be on the table, for the reasons I've provided above. It's not legal to execute a 15 year old for this offense.

I'm surprised they allow internet access in your facility.

1. "So, you read minds now?"
I don't read minds....that's why I don't support the idea of 'hate crimes.'

2. "What are your credentials to make this determination?"
I have the common sense to observe the action, and understand what happened.

Are you claiming not to be able to do same?

3. "The death penalty wouldn't be on the table, for the reasons I've provided above. It's not legal to execute a 15 year old for this offense."

And I agreed that the way the game....I use that term advisedly...is played, that is the case.
Did you notice that I said "....if I was on a jury, and capital punishment offered."

I'm certain that it isn't necessary to define "if" for you.

4. "I'm surprised they allow internet access in your facility."
Did you think I'm not able to skewer you?
Do you suppose that you have some expertise in the area...that
as of now hasn't revealed itself?
Is this one of those 'because I said so' posts...and now you are
upset because it seems not to carry any weight?

5. If you cannot compete in the arena of ideas, you had best be
careful before you consider other routes.

1. "PITTSBURGH (AP) -- A teenager who sucker punched a schoolteacher in a downtown alley - an attack caught on surveillance video - apparently picked the victim at random, police and school officials said.

2. The attack happened last Thursday at about 3:30 p.m. The surveillance video, which Pittsburgh police used to make an arrest Tuesday,...

3. ....the 15-year-old suspect walking with several other youths past 50-year-old James Addlespurger.

4. Addlespurger, who teaches English at an arts high school, was walking in the other direction and did not appear to interact with the youths in any way.

5. The suspect suddenly approached Addlespurger and punched him in the head. The teacher fell hard onto a curb as the teen and the others continued walking.

6. ...there's something very terrifying about it," said Pittsburgh Councilman R. Daniel Lavelle, whose district includes downtown. "In the video it appears

7. ... taken to a juvenile detention center on a charge of simple assault but was not identified ...

8. City schools spokeswoman Ebony Pugh said the school system can't take any formal action against the suspect because the attack happened off school grounds and after the school day had ended.

9. The suspect attends a school for troubled youths ... there's no evidence the suspect, or his friends, knew Addlespurger or exchanged words with him."

This country needs to introduce painful and humiliating punishments again. You take this little bastard and tie him to the flag pole and cane him I guarantee that shit will slow down pretty fast. Tie a drink driver to that same flag pole and give him 100 lashes I bet drunk driving stats go down. Cut off the thumbs of a first time rapist or child molester and I bet that go's down to. As it stands, this worm will try this on an armed citizen and get retroactively aborted for the good of mankind.

Are you a conservative or a liberal?

If you don't read minds, and you haven't seen a statement from the suspect (and we all know you're talking out of your ass here), you have no idea what the suspect's goal was.

You do not have the experience or skills to diagnose someone as incorrigible or unrecoverable at age 15.

Are you claiming not to be able to do same?

Actually, no. I've articulated your limitations and explained the laws.

3. "The death penalty wouldn't be on the table, for the reasons I've provided above. It's not legal to execute a 15 year old for this offense."

And I agreed that the way the game....I use that term advisedly...is played, that is the case.
Did you notice that I said "....if I was on a jury, and capital punishment offered."

The death penalty would not be an option for the reasons I've repeatedly explained. Your thought that it should is simply out of line with American jurisprudence, for a wide variety of reasons, not least of which is the fact that the death penalty is an extreme punishment which is reserved for extreme crimes.

I think my posts carry weight with people who exercise the capacity for objective thought. Take that as you will.

Last edited:
No matter, I hope the penalty matches the crime in every way that it legally can, and this goes for all who were involved..

If you don't read minds, and you haven't seen a statement from the suspect (and we all know you're talking out of your ass here), you have no idea what the suspect's goal was.

You do not have the experience or skills to diagnose someone as incorrigible or unrecoverable at age 15.

Actually, no. I've articulated your limitations and explained the laws.

The death penalty would not be an option for the reasons I've repeatedly explained. Your thought that it should is simply out of line with American jurisprudence, for a wide variety of reasons, not least of which is the fact that the death penalty is an extreme punishment which is reserved for extreme crimes.

I think my posts carry weight with people who exercise the capacity for objective thought. Take that as you will.

I have no problem with this post. But it no more objective than my view.

What I wanted was a discussion of how this example, one in which each has the advantage of viewing the act, is seen from diverse points of reference.
You'll note that I've never disputed how the situation is handled by the current system.....

....I've merely presented what I believe is a different direction, one in the best interests of society in general.
I found it interesting because I generally take a position for the individual, and in this case, found I was, in a sense, on the side of the collective.

This may be a good example of a young person who comitted a hideous act in her life, for whom was under the influence at the time of a madman, where there was drugs and cult following activities going on in which swayed this person to actually kill for this madman (she was that taken over by him).

Watch the video in it's entirety, and let me know if you think that this woman had actually been reformed in the prison system, to otherwise rid herself of the demons that had possessed her at the time of her youth when acted in ways that were unconscienable. I personally felt that she had become a decent person somehow while in Prison by this inteview, for whom had finally put away her demons in which had taken her over in her youth. Let me know what you all think also in conjunction with... This is why I say that at this guy's age, he may be reformable, but he may still need to spend quite a few years in prison before the results can be obtained like what we are seeing in this interview between Susan Atkins and Diane Sawyer. Have to watch the whole interview to see how it had changed her I think.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwqooUe0wC0&feature=related]Susan Atkins 2002 Interview with Dianne Sawyer - YouTube[/ame]

The attacker probably was angry that teachers get paid so much money and get so many luxurious job perks all because they formed a commie union to shake down the local govenrment to milk the taxpayers for all they can without actually doing any teaching at all. I mean - don't public school teachers just sit on their ass, do nothing, get paid 6 figure salaries and have better healthcare than Donald Trump? Why wouldn't this kid be angry at him?

Wouldn't you feel like punching someone who was stealing money from the taxpayer?

1. There is a certain coterie of posters who are so lacking in brain matter that they don't bother to read the post to which they are, ostensibly, responding.

No doubt, you are a card-carrying member.....

a. "The attacker probably was angry that teachers...Why wouldn't this kid be angry at him?"
Really? And how did you arrive at that conclusion.....?

2. Did the attacker know the victim?
Did the attacker even know that he was a teacher?

The answer to both questions is "No."

3. Bet you can barely scratch your name in the sand with a stick.
If you had the ability to absorb OP, the following would have obviated your jejune comments.

This, from the OP, which you either didn't read or didn't understand:

"...picked the victim at random, police and school officials said.
The suspect attends a school for troubled youths ... there's no evidence the suspect, or his friends, knew Addlespurger or exchanged words with him."

4. He didn't go to the victim's school, didn't know the victim,....

5. Do you understand the meaning of the word "random"?

I’d love to explain it to you, but I don’t have any crayons.
Ahah!

I see the problem......

...the article was written on an 8th grade reading level!

Do you use breadcrumbs to find your way back to the refrigerator box you call home?

You can tell a teacher by their swagger. Someone who gets piles of the people's money and free cadillac healthcare for life to wreck our kids futures walks in a certain way.

I have no idea why you are defending the teacher scum of America They hate freedom.

The attacker probably was angry that teachers get paid so much money and get so many luxurious job perks all because they formed a commie union to shake down the local govenrment to milk the taxpayers for all they can without actually doing any teaching at all. I mean - don't public school teachers just sit on their ass, do nothing, get paid 6 figure salaries and have better healthcare than Donald Trump? Why wouldn't this kid be angry at him?

Wouldn't you feel like punching someone who was stealing money from the taxpayer?

1. There is a certain coterie of posters who are so lacking in brain matter that they don't bother to read the post to which they are, ostensibly, responding.

No doubt, you are a card-carrying member.....

a. "The attacker probably was angry that teachers...Why wouldn't this kid be angry at him?"
Really? And how did you arrive at that conclusion.....?

2. Did the attacker know the victim?
Did the attacker even know that he was a teacher?

The answer to both questions is "No."

3. Bet you can barely scratch your name in the sand with a stick.
If you had the ability to absorb OP, the following would have obviated your jejune comments.

This, from the OP, which you either didn't read or didn't understand:

"...picked the victim at random, police and school officials said.
The suspect attends a school for troubled youths ... there's no evidence the suspect, or his friends, knew Addlespurger or exchanged words with him."

4. He didn't go to the victim's school, didn't know the victim,....

5. Do you understand the meaning of the word "random"?

I’d love to explain it to you, but I don’t have any crayons.
Ahah!

I see the problem......

...the article was written on an 8th grade reading level!

Do you use breadcrumbs to find your way back to the refrigerator box you call home?

You can tell a teacher by their swagger. Someone who gets piles of the people's money and free cadillac healthcare for life to wreck our kids futures walks in a certain way.

I have no idea why you are defending the teacher scum of America They hate freedom.

Exactly what kind of breadcrumbs do you use?

What I wanted was a discussion of how this example, one in which each has the advantage of viewing the act, is seen from diverse points of reference.
You'll note that I've never disputed how the situation is handled by the current system.....

....I've merely presented what I believe is a different direction, one in the best interests of society in general.
I found it interesting because I generally take a position for the individual, and in this case, found I was, in a sense, on the side of the collective.

You think that state-sponsored executions of 15-year-olds would improve this country. That's an opinion, but it's not a particularly well-informed or intelligent one.

You think that state-sponsored executions of 15-year-olds would improve this country. That's an opinion, but it's not a particularly well-informed or intelligent one.

OMG! You disagree with me???

Shocker.

But...as you bring up the age....why not add a physical description?
Could said thug be a six footer, upwards of 200 pounds....

And would that make him more of a threat?

Then you obviously have no understanding of hate crime legislation. It does not require "mind reading" in order to charge or convict someone of a hate crime. Hate crimes are not filed in the first place unless there is clearly some objective evidence to establish that a hate crime has been committed.

For example: The perp rushes at the victim with a lead pipe, screaming: "You damn faggot! I hate all faggots! I am going to kill you with this lead pipe because I hate fags!!!"

It doesn't take a "mind reader" to see that something like this is clearly a hate crime.

Second example - bad guy gets into an argument with gay guy over a parking spot. It is not at all obvious that gay guy is gay. Bad guy kicks the shit out of gay guy, never once making any reference to the fact that gay guy is gay. This is not a hate crime and never would be filed as one, since the reason for the attack had nothing to do with the victim's being gay.

Let's talk about hate crimes for a while - this thread obviously sucks.

Then you obviously have no understanding of hate crime legislation. It does not require "mind reading" in order to charge or convict someone of a hate crime. Hate crimes are not filed in the first place unless there is clearly some objective evidence to establish that a hate crime has been committed.

For example: The perp rushes at the victim with a lead pipe, screaming: "You damn faggot! I hate all faggots! I am going to kill you with this lead pipe because I hate fags!!!"

It doesn't take a "mind reader" to see that something like this is clearly a hate crime.

Second example - bad guy gets into an argument with gay guy over a parking spot. It is not at all obvious that gay guy is gay. Bad guy kicks the shit out of gay guy, never once making any reference to the fact that gay guy is gay. This is not a hate crime and never would be filed as one, since the reason for the attack had nothing to do with the victim's being gay.

Let's talk about hate crimes for a while - this thread obviously sucks.

You're smarter than that.....

....the nonsense is designed to allow for a crime to be viewed through a subjective lens.

'Else, it would simply be a 'crime'.

Liberals want to be certain of having folks think the 'right' way.

In Liberal Utopia, words become criminalized, thoughts criminalized, ..all contrary to what America should be.

Did or has James Addlespurger died? The death penalty is reserved for murders or death the direct result of a crime. Please, we just do not go about killing people for something wrong that they did that annoys us.

You see, this is what bothers me about most republicans: Because you do not like someone or do not like something he/she did that was not the crime of murder, does not give you the right to wipe him/her off the face of Planet Earth -

I fail to understand how people purporting to be of godly ideas (and historically not!) are always so quick to condone or advocate murder. So strange.

Did or has James Addlespurger died? The death penalty is reserved for murders or death the direct result of a crime. Please, we just do not go about killing people for something wrong that they did that annoys us.

You see, this is what bothers me about most republicans: Because you do not like someone or do not like something he/she did that was not the crime of murder, does not give you the right to wipe him/her off the face of Planet Earth -

I fail to understand how people purporting to be of godly ideas (and historically not!) are always so quick to condone or advocate murder. So strange.

Would you mind re-viewing the vid in the OP, and explaining how the term "annoy" is applicable?

Tying to make this a political statement as you just did against Republicans, negates your statement, attitude and worth in the discussion (imho)..

an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a life for a life....

He didn't take a life, therefore his should not be taken.

Outside of that, locking him up 4 ever could be reasonable! He's dangerous to society and I can't imagine him changing!

Following the assault, do you think the thug would have behaved differently had the victim died as a result of hitting his head on the curb?

I don't.

I can't understand why society should even consider differentiating between what he did, and the death he could have caused.
A lesser sentence because he didn't hit quite hard enough?

Dear PC:
Perhaps under Church or scriptural laws, the intention on the part of the offender is equally severe. If you have hate or anger in your heart against your brother, it is already murder.
However, on that level, you would also address the hatred using scriptural laws to correct the person. The Scriptures would call for confessing and healing, and restoring good faith relations, which may also include restitution to restore justice proportional to the wrongs.

Under secular laws of the state, assault is different from murder; but attempted murder is the same charge whether it leads to death or not. So as long as this is under the jurisdiction of state authority, then you go with that system.

So if you assess the situation by church or moral laws, then it should be corrected and resolved under that system. And likewise if you apply civil or criminal laws, then those rules apply. Do not get the two mixed up. Forgiveness may apply in one realm, but not the other.

Didja see the several posts the Congress forum about pubpots and how they want the death penalty for "rebellious" children? Several other threads about some really sick stuff the pubpots are doing.

Its right up your (DEMENTED!) alley.

What is with the adds on this site? It's as if they are trying to set someone up when clicking on them or something to that affect... On this thread I am looking at an add right now at the bottom of the thread that says " Click here to view your arrest record now"...LOL.. I don't have no arrest record, and hope nobody else does either, but isn't it odd the type of adds that end up on these threads that are at or near the bottom ??? Ok back to the fun upon these boards... B )

Forum List

Back