Why is the military despised by so many in modern day America?

American4Americ

Doge of Venezia
Oct 22, 2013
America
The brave, honorable, patriotic, freedom fighters that serve in the U.S Military, that have taken it upon themselves to carry a morally bankrupt nation on their backs, are constantly insulted. What you people have to realize is that ultimately, they are mostly just following orders, so blaming them is mostly useless since they did not start the war. Pointing at the military is like pointing at a club and claiming that it murdered someone. Ultimately, the murder is like a gun, it doesn't kill people, the people who wield the military do.

"If crime fighters fight crime, and fire fighters fight fires, then what do freedom fighters fight?" - George Carlin

2006, Ishaqi, Iraq - US Marines handcuffed and executed five children, ages 5 and under, then called in an airstrike to destroy the evidence.

Were those brave Marines unable to tell the difference in the heat of battle between hardened guerrilla terrorists and toddlers? Was the five-year-old withholding vital information about terrorist activities? Soldiers, like everyone else, must earn respect.

No Gun Ri, Korea. My Lai, Vietnam. Iran-Contra. Iraq. These are not respectable events.

It is every soldiers' duty first and foremost to question their orders. The popular myth is that "soldiers follow orders or people die." That is entirely false, even according to UCMJ. The Soldier's Oath swears loyalty to the US Constitution, not to the military or the Commander-in-Chief. A soldier's duty is to question their orders and only follow lawful orders. It is specifically illegal for a soldier to follow an unlawful order. A soldier has to determine between lawful and unlawful orders in order to make sure that the wrong people are not killed.

Drone strikes are not so discerning. When the people giving the orders are dishonorable, it is not only the soldiers' right and duty to only follow legal, Constitutional orders, but the American people, as well.

The brave, honorable, patriotic, freedom fighters that serve in the U.S Military, that have taken it upon themselves to carry a morally bankrupt nation on their backs, are constantly insulted. What you people have to realize is that ultimately, they are mostly just following orders, so blaming them is mostly useless since they did not start the war. Pointing at the military is like pointing at a club and claiming that it murdered someone. Ultimately, the murder is like a gun, it doesn't kill people, the people who wield the military do.

Where I live, the military is practically worshipped. A tenth of my grade-school class enlisted straight out of high school. Everyone has a dad, brother, or grandfather who served here.

"If crime fighters fight crime, and fire fighters fight fires, then what do freedom fighters fight?" - George Carlin

2006, Ishaqi, Iraq - US Marines handcuffed and executed five children, ages 5 and under, then called in an airstrike to destroy the evidence.

Were those brave Marines unable to tell the difference in the heat of battle between hardened guerrilla terrorists and toddlers? Was the five-year-old withholding vital information about terrorist activities? Soldiers, like everyone else, must earn respect.

No Gun Ri, Korea. My Lai, Vietnam. Iran-Contra. Iraq. These are not respectable events.

It is every soldiers' duty first and foremost to question their orders. The popular myth is that "soldiers follow orders or people die." That is entirely false, even according to UCMJ. The Soldier's Oath swears loyalty to the US Constitution, not to the military or the Commander-in-Chief. A soldier's duty is to question their orders and only follow lawful orders. It is specifically illegal for a soldier to follow an unlawful order. A soldier has to determine between lawful and unlawful orders in order to make sure that the wrong people are not killed.

Drone strikes are not so discerning. When the people giving the orders are dishonorable, it is not only the soldiers' right and duty to only follow legal, Constitutional orders, but the American people, as well.

I like that. Duty to the country, not the corrupt bastards who run it. I should apply that to the Sons of Liberty...

Good Websites to facilitate learning. I doubt leftists have such a large variety of information outlets.

Dummy, those aren't "information". Those are propaganda.

You should try some nice, interesting "science" website. You could learn so much.

It is every soldiers' duty first and foremost to question their orders.

:eek:

:cuckoo:

I wish you'd been in the Army with me. You'd have been disabused of some of your sophomoric notions on the first day.

But it seems to me you'd have many weeks of learnin to do.

Maybe you'd learn to be a man in the process.

Maybe not.

But ideas like yours are crazy naive.

Why is the military despised?

Because too many, like you, believe that because the military has so well protected your ass from those who want you dead that you conclude there is no danger.

Silly boy.

Maybe you listened to John Lennon's "Imagine" and actually believed it was a practical roadmap to Nirvana. (The place, not the band.)

Oh, and another one of your misunderstandings is that the U.S. military's POLICY is to commit war crimes and atrocities.

It isn't.

Now. This is specifically for you.

Enjoy!

And I hope you get something from it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bfe6CgYbH8]Shit and Shinola - YouTube[/ame]

I don't believe it is despised by very many. There will always be the few, but most Americans support our soldiers. Do not mistake some American's aversion to our fighting idiotic wars that they do not support as not supporting our soldiers who serve freely. Those who choose to join the military have no choice but to follow orders. You seem to understand that, so I'm not sure if you are just witnessing behavior from people that actually supports this or you just believe this to be the case.

This is for you, too!

Col. Jessep: Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns.

Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury.

You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it.

I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

A Few Good Men (1992) - Quotes - IMDb

The ones who despise them are usually the ones who wouldn't have the balls to fight for their country. That's most everyone so there's your answer.

Liberalism believes that no on is our enemy and we're the bad guy. So of course they feel the military is a bad thing.

Conservatives on the other hand don't want to invest within the r@D to keep our military number one..So our nation is at a point where we're going to start collapsing.

You DO realize that "freedom fighters" was what we called Islamic militants during the 80's, right? :eusa_eh:

Why is the military despised by so many in modern day America?

One reason is because they are clueless about how the military is saving their ungrateful, ignorant asses every day in and day out. Without the job the military has been doing in Afghanistan, they would be a pile of ashes, right now.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back