Why is New York being hit so hard relative to the rest of the U.S?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Anyone have information or theories about this?

Is it possible big trade by import/exporters who have shipped plenty of junk from China and have been exposed to it on boxes and on items shipped (some have suggested the virus can linger on box surfaces for 24-48 hours? Or is it the level of business travel by those in New York and those who traveled to China and other parts of Europe came back and brought it with them?

If anyone has facts or even theories about this being such a big issue in New York, outside the obvious such as their high population; please share.

Last edited:
..their population density is high
..they have a high population = more chances for getting it
..do they have more people arriving from overseas/JFK airport one of the busiest/ports??
----yes, more business travel/etc
more of everything = more chances of getting it

1584957986100.png

I was going to say gay marriage.

View attachment 314251

Actually, it's not that obvious. Of course highly concentrated population is going to contribute, but the numbers don't add up at all.

Cali and Texas might be larger areas, but NY has HALF of the entire countries cases. That's insane. Here are top 10 virus cases by state:

New York
Washington
New Jersey
California
Illinois
Michigan
Florida
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Georgia

Texas isn't even top 10, even though it is your third most populated state. Ditto for high population states like Ohio or Pennsylvania. Cali, is albeit a much larger state by geography, has twice the population, but 10% of the cases NY has.

There is something more to this than population density. Or all large cities would be as overwhelmed as NY is.

NY city is the largest city in the US. That is where most cases are from.

Ever heard of underground subways? You won't find them in most places and in those places, you won't find the type of ridership you have in NYC. Communicable diseases thrive when you have people so closely packed together. Which is why the blob's FAA forcing people to stand next to one another for hours was so brazenly stupid.

Ever heard of underground subways? You won't find them in most places and in those places, you won't find the type of ridership you have in NYC. Communicable diseases thrive when you have people so closely packed together. Which is why the blob's FAA forcing people to stand next to one another for hours was so brazenly stupid.

Does Chicago have a subway system? How about L.A or Detroit? HALF of all virus cases are from New York.

I'm a data guy. What I see in certain hotspots should at the very least, raise questions about "why"? There are many highly populated cities in the U.S not getting these results. One could even go further and ask, "how come Toronto with 3M people and millions a day riding the subway, only just had it's first coronavirus death last night?"

Something is amiss in all of this. I don't know all the answers but I have some questions. To date, I haven't read a good answer. Some are simply perplexed as to why Italy for instance, with their older population has been hit so much harder than Japan and their older population. I've read some theories, most of them weak, even by their own admission.

View attachment 314251

Actually, it's not that obvious. Of course highly concentrated population is going to contribute, but the numbers don't add up at all.

Cali and Texas might be larger areas, but NY has HALF of the entire countries cases. That's insane. Here are top 10 virus cases by state:

New York
Washington
New Jersey
California
Illinois
Michigan
Florida
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Georgia

Texas isn't even top 10, even though it is your third most populated state. Ditto for high population states like Ohio or Pennsylvania. Cali, is albeit a much larger state by geography, has twice the population, but 10% of the cases NY has.

There is something more to this than population density. Or all large cities would be as overwhelmed as NY is.
NYC has one of if not the busiest international airports in the world.

That one thing alone was a huge contribution to their corona cases

Is it possible big trade by import/exporters who have shipped plenty of junk from China and have been exposed to it on boxes and on items shipped (some have suggested the virus can linger on box surfaces for 24-48 hours? Or is it the level of business travel by those in New York and those who traveled to China and other parts of Europe came back and brought it with them?

If anyone has facts or even theories about this being such a big issue in New York, outside the obvious such as their high population; please share.
you want data:::::!!!
---NYC population 3 times more than Chicago
---NYC pop. over that is 65 years old is 2.1% MORE than CHI
----NYC 14% ..Chi 12%
now--remember----that's 2.1% of NYC population-.--that's NOT 2.1% of the of Chi's lower population.....so, not only more people--but a LOT more that are over 65 years old --which account for most C19 deaths
3 times population of 65 or older PLUS the extra 2% of the much larger NYC population
..figure in NYC density over TWICE as high as Chi--and you can easily see why it's so much high/higher

Last edited:
God's revenge for Chuck Schummer and Bill de Blasio so you don;t even have to ask about California

View attachment 314251

New York
Washington
New Jersey
California
Illinois
Michigan
Florida
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Georgia

Washington's largest city has over 10 times LESS the population than NYC
NYork density 4 times Washington

Like they said nys has population of 19 million and a land area of 50+ thousand s
sq miles
Almost half of that 19 million live in 321 square miles

Subways, tons of international travelers, blah blah blah

Terrorists have long known ya wanna start a pandemic in nyc release it on the subway...they actually did a study on how the trains push the air through the tunnels and how it could spread a biological weapons attack extreamly fast

That's a bonus to all the infected people that just got exposed and dont know it

Infect an entire jammed packed platform with a burst of air

Does Chicago have a subway system? How about L.A or Detroit? HALF of all virus cases are from New York.

I'm a data guy. What I see in certain hotspots should at the very least, raise questions about "why"? There are many highly populated cities in the U.S not getting these results. One could even go further and ask, "how come Toronto with 3M people and millions a day riding the subway, only just had it's first coronavirus death last night?"

Something is amiss in all of this. I don't know all the answers but I have some questions. To date, I haven't read a good answer. Some are simply perplexed as to why Italy for instance, with their older poslpulation has been hit so much harder than Japan and their older population. I've read some theories, most of them weak, even by their own admission.
New York is the crossroads of the world. And a lot of independent thinkers all crushed together

You'll note that cities with high density housing and mass transportation are being the hardest hit. The commies want the whole country to look like them.

View attachment 314251

New York
Washington
New Jersey
California
Illinois
Michigan
Florida
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Georgia

Apparently, you were absent the day they showed you how to calculate population density at school.

..their population density is high
..they have a high population = more chances for getting it
..do they have more people arriving from overseas/JFK airport one of the busiest/ports??
----yes, more business travel/etc
more of everything = more chances of getting it
A lot more to it than population and population density, especially if you compare to metropolitan area population with foreign city like Tokyo, Japan with more people and greater population density but less Covid-19 infections by far, with only 1128 cases and 42 deaths in the whole country.

What I am more interested in (and sad to think about) is what is happening in N.K. and China which we won't hear about.

I would put the probability high that N.K. is suffering from an outbreak or will and many elderly will die because of the lack of care facilities (and frankly...concern).

Forum List

Back