Why is COVID-19 Worse Than the Flu?

Seriously. I’ve looked all over the Internet and can’t find anything.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 vs. the Flu

Every year we have a flu season, and each year it’s worse or not as bad as others. Each year a LOT of people die from the flu.

Anyone have a good link as to why the world is in a panic?
Because we have been dealing with influenza viruses for years. We are familiar. It is the Flu. This is a corona virus. They have been around for a long time, but never warranted the research, effort and expense until now they have mutated and this variety freely is communicable humans, not susceptible to flu treatments or vaccines and kills at 1o time the rate, especially in age group most vulnerable. Even people in the least effected group are not willing to write off their parents, grand parents and people with underlying conditions like diabetes, heart disease, cancer, chronic bronchitis, etc. Except maybe for all the patients in that nursing home in Washington. For some reason, they were written off and it horrifies the rest of us.
Kills at what rate?

Every year we have a flu season, and each year it’s worse or not as bad as others. Each year a LOT of people die from the flu.

one of the biggest factors I see is you can infect others for up to two weeks before you even know you have it and as a result cases are dbling every two days,,which the common flu doesnt do,,,

that can overwhelm hospitals and prevent treatment for the most severe cases as well as others that need medical care for things other than flu's,,thats what happened in italy and they are now considering leaving the elderly to die,,
OK, so I get it. Every year the flu might kill me too. Why is the world shutting down for this?
try reading my post before you comment,,,it might answer your question,,,
I did. I have never gone to a hospital or even doctor for the flu. Every year we have a flu season. I don’t recall the world shutting down for any.
then I cant help you,,,and dont forget the world doesnt revolve around you and what youve done or not done

Because I never got an email from anyone regarding the flu.

Since last night because of Covid, I got:
  • a 30 minute sports wrap program on TV which spent 30 minutes telling me there is no sports.
  • an email notice from the neighborhood blog that despite there being no Covid with 300 miles, people are buying some stores empty of meat and TP.
  • and just now, an email notice from my bank assuring me not to worry, they are still open. o_O
Exactly. One of my things is working with concert events. Yesterday was a flood of emails for cancellations.
Trump tried to keep people calm. No one is at any particular risk unless they are 70 years old or older. Other than that, you get sick like a cold or the flu for a few days and you get better.

But now all these closings are lending legitimacy to the scare. Meantime, all these closing are being done purely out of a legal liability angle to avoid potential lawsuits from someone who goes out somewhere and gets the sniffles.
Legal liability? I don't think so. Have you ever heard of anyone being successfully sued because someone caught the flu in their school, business, doctor's office? During an epidemic, how are you going to prove where you caught it, anyway?
No. They are doing this due to public pressure. People are terrified. It is a huge overreaction, BUT it may just be a godsend--because it may actually slow the transmission of this disease until the virus plays itself out. It only took a few months in China--let's hope we are as lucky, and since cities, states, universities and private businesses are IMMEDIATELY taking the initiative to keep people apart, BEFORE it becomes a crisis, hopefully we don't get anywhere near the numbers of sick and dead that some other countries have.

one of the biggest factors I see is you can infect others for up to two weeks before you even know you have it and as a result cases are dbling every two days,,which the common flu doesnt do,,,

that can overwhelm hospitals and prevent treatment for the most severe cases as well as others that need medical care for things other than flu's,,thats what happened in italy and they are now considering leaving the elderly to die,,
OK, so I get it. Every year the flu might kill me too. Why is the world shutting down for this?
I did. I have never gone to a hospital or even doctor for the flu. Every year we have a flu season. I don’t recall the world shutting down for any.
then I cant help you,,,and dont forget the world doesnt revolve around you and what youve done or not done
Apparently the world panics while I watch munching my popcorn.

Apparently the world panics while I watch munching my popcorn.
point proven,,,

• a 30 minute sports wrap program on TV which spent 30 minutes telling me there is no sports.
  • an email notice from the neighborhood blog that despite there being no Covid with 300 miles, people are buying some stores empty of meat and TP.
  • and just now, an email notice from my bank assuring me not to worry, they are still open. o_O
Exactly. One of my things is working with concert events. Yesterday was a flood of emails for cancellations.
Trump tried to keep people calm. No one is at any particular risk unless they are 70 years old or older. Other than that, you get sick like a cold or the flu for a few days and you get better.

But now all these closings are lending legitimacy to the scare. Meantime, all these closing are being done purely out of a legal liability angle to avoid potential lawsuits from someone who goes out somewhere and gets the sniffles.
Legal liability? I don't think so. Have you ever heard of anyone being successfully sued because someone caught the flu in their school, business, doctor's office? During an epidemic, how are you going to prove where you caught it, anyway?
No. They are doing this due to public pressure. People are terrified. It is a huge overreaction, BUT it may just be a godsend--because it may actually slow the transmission of this disease until the virus plays itself out. It only took a few months in China--let's hope we are as lucky, and since cities, states, universities and private businesses are IMMEDIATELY taking the initiative to keep people apart, BEFORE it becomes a crisis, hopefully we don't get anywhere near the numbers of sick and dead that some other countries have.

Look, the legal liability concerns are already confirmed. This is NOT the flu. It is being marketed as a serious pandemic with the public at risk. If they held, say, a basketball game or a wrestling event and people got sick who all could say they were at the event, and got it because they declined to protect the public interest by suspending the event, there would be lawsuits. Liability. Heaven help if one of the people DIED.

And even if no one sued, the OPTICS alone of risking the public health (their words) for sheer profit, would cause them a great deal of negative press, and social media and public out cry. Loss of sponsors. Loss of advertising. Loss of ticket sales, boycotts, protests from activist groups, etc. Liability.

Because we have been dealing with influenza viruses for years. We are familiar. It is the Flu. This is a corona virus. They have been around for a long time, but never warranted the research, effort and expense until now they have mutated and this variety freely is communicable humans, not susceptible to flu treatments or vaccines and kills at 1o time the rate, especially in age group most vulnerable. Even people in the least effected group are not willing to write off their parents, grand parents and people with underlying conditions like diabetes, heart disease, cancer, chronic bronchitis, etc. Except maybe for all the patients in that nursing home in Washington. For some reason, they were written off and it horrifies the rest of us.
Kills at what rate?
The only one I could calculate yesterday came out 3.68%, but that is not a fair mathematical answer, simply because it is based on known, tested, certified infected. Some do not show symptoms and are carrying and spreading, but whoever they are I suspect the number is possibly massive more and getting more so and that unknown total could drive down the death rate, at least in the short term. Whatever, it's demonstrated kill rate with crude numbers available is serious. At the moment there is no cure or vaccine and there have been enough mis-steps and half-steps by the administration to shake what confidence many the non true believers had left. Sounds like a panicky herd with nowhere to run. i could be wrong. Don said we could wake up and it would all be gone. I cannot go with that. Can you?

Look, the legal liability concerns are already confirmed. This is NOT the flu. It is being marketed as a serious pandemic with the public at risk. If they held, say, a basketball game or a wrestling event and people got sick who all could say they were at the event, and got it because they declined to protect the public interest by suspending the event, there would be lawsuits. Liability. Heaven help if one of the people DIED.

And even if no one sued, the OPTICS alone of risking the public health (their words) for sheer profit, would cause them a great deal of negative press, and social media and public out cry. Loss of sponsors. Loss of advertising. Loss of ticket sales, boycotts, protests from activist groups, etc. Liability.
the OPTICS alone of risking the public health (their words) for sheer profit, would cause them a great deal of negative press,
That's what I meant by "public pressure."

Kills at what rate?
The only one I could calculate yesterday came out 3.68%, but that is not a fair mathematical answer, simply because it is based on known, tested, certified infected. Some do not show symptoms and are carrying and spreading, but whoever they are I suspect the number is possibly massive more and getting more so and that unknown total could drive down the death rate, at least in the short term. Whatever, it's demonstrated kill rate with crude numbers available is serious. At the moment there is no cure or vaccine and there have been enough mis-steps and half-steps by the administration to shake what confidence many the non true believers had left. Sounds like a panicky herd with nowhere to run. i could be wrong. Don said we could wake up and it would all be gone. I cannot go with that. Can you?
And every mortality figure I’ve seen includes 3rd world nations. I find it interesting we can’t get a straight answer from the ‘experts’.

Kills at what rate?
And every mortality figure I’ve seen includes 3rd world nations. I find it interesting we can’t get a straight answer from the ‘experts’.
I have to ask why did you ask the question if youre going to put down every answer you get???

its almost like you didnt want an answer but wanted to rant like a little prick,,,

Kills at what rate?
Don't think that answer is out there yet, due data deficit. On the unscientific side, It doesn't appear that much better in non 3rd world countries.

From what I have read there are 3 factors which make CV worse than the seasonal flu-
- It is more contagious
- it has a higher fatality rate
- there is no vaccine....yet
Flu once you get it you’ve gotten it for that year. Mortality? I’d like some numbers, not including from the rice paddies of Asia.

numbers from Italy- death rate there is 1 in 15. That’s not scary...

Total cases of COVID-19 have quickly increased in Italy, with a peak of 15,113 as of March 12. Daily new cases are also still rising, with 2,651 new cases reported on March 12. The death toll in the country is 1,016 as of March 12. Overall, the recovery rate is reported at 55.3 percent of all cases in Italy as of March 12

From what I have read there are 3 factors which make CV worse than the seasonal flu-
- It is more contagious
- it has a higher fatality rate
- there is no vaccine....yet
Flu once you get it you’ve gotten it for that year. Mortality? I’d like some numbers, not including from the rice paddies of Asia.

That's not true. Flu has different strands and you can get the same strand again.

How cool is that?

Humans scare of the unknown.

We are very familiar with the Flu, but just learning about this virus.

On the other hand, the media is in fault of promoting panic. When I watch the news, I swear, the hosts repeat the name Corona Virus tens or hundreds of times in one hour of broadcasting.

This is a kind of brainwashing, and of course, it works.

I take advantage of it, Highways with less cars, movie theaters almost empty, lots of places without tumults of people, this is great, stay home suckers, you are making my life more enjoyable when going places...

Forum List

Back