Why I think the NYT Anonymous Op-Ed Against Trump Was Simply Invented

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
When you evaluate reports from overseas, enemy or friendly, you have to go through an analysis that involves hermeneutics, empathy and a little knowledge about how the author does their job and for who.

The author of this Oped is targeting liberals in an attempt to assure them that all is well, 'We have the President on a tight leash.' That is the only real info here. Who was unaware that Trump was an amoral businessman from New York who has cheated on every wife he has ever had and who has a very shallow view of people in a lot of ways, like his comparison of Melania to Ted Cruz's wife. This really isnt news to anyone who closely followed the Republican primaries in 2016.

No important information was leaked either. This was certainly no 'Pentagon Papers' by any means.

Which makes me wonder, why would anyone risk their career to publish such a nothing-burger? If you have ever met/known or worked for these types of people, a mix of sycophantic courtier, hard nosed politician and sociopathic opportunist, they are all about one thing; going up the career ladder. They do that by being a team player and making their guy win. IF a staff member even meets a member of the other side without being cleared, that dudes career is torched and he is branded untrustworthy. To publish a letter like this that literally has no point to it other than 'Trump is a moron and we are shielding the world from him' is completely 100000% contrary to the nature of these animals. It is completely unbelievable. They would not risk their hard earned status to write such a pointless piece of drek.

Why would a Republican operative write an assuring piece for the benefit of liberals with no upside for him?

Why would he give the editors of the New York Times, commie Central, a razor with which they could cut his throat by outing him as author, end his career and ruin him for the rest of his life? Any GOP political activist sees the NYT as the enemy, not their mommy to run crying to.

No Veteran GOP operative or activist wrote this piece of horse shit. It is contrary to how these people work, how they see the political universe, in which the Times is Satan on a Stick, or how they would do such a thing if they felt that they had to.

And the authors explanation doesnt add up either. IF they know Trump is such a loose cannon and off the rails, and are constantly working to keep him within the lane markers of sanity, why WOULD THEY SEND SUCH A PROVOCATIVE PIECE TO THE STAFF OF HIS MOST PROMINENT ENEMIES TO ENRAGE HIM?

This whole article sounds like something a leftwing ideologue would make up to look genuine.....or from the pen of someone who wanted to set them up.

Two things are accomplished by this Oped; 1. The NYT looks stupid, and 2. The NYT just confirmed the existence of the Deep State, all by themselves.

Guess the girl just cant help herself.

Last edited:
Trump had someone write it and do it. That is what I truly believe before the book Fear comes out. He is getting so much backing from his base,

Oh there is a deep state, Everyone is against him, poor Trump, and there is a coup going on, everything he says is true.

I finally got around to reading it yesterday. It was too well written (talking about style, not substance) for an amateur. Their own staff wrote this to create a crisis in the White House and get Trump to turn on his own.

That's what I believe UNTIL this person has the Guts to step forward.

Trump had someone write it and do it. That is what I truly believe before the book Fear comes out. He is getting so much backing from his base,

Oh there is a deep state, Everyone is against him, poor Trump, and there is a coup going on, everything he says is true.
Penny. You really need to put down the pipe and get some fresh air.

Ha Ha, Trump has used the press in the past with fake names, now his new name is anonymous.

Well, I actually agree with Penny on this.

That Oped has served Trump quite well before the election and has upstaged Woodwards ridiculous book before it comes out.

Qe bono?

That Oped has served Trump quite well before the election and has upstaged Woodwards ridiculous book before it comes out.

Qe bono?

I think you answered your own question. I forgot to add bash the press, esp the NYT, but you did in the OP.

Qe bono?

Again, before it comes out? What is the date on your planet?

That book has already been sliced, diced and Julienne fried by more people than you can shake a stick at!

When you evaluate reports from overseas, enemy or friendly, you have to go through an analysis that involves hermeneutics, empathy and a little knowledge about how the author does their job and for who.

The author of this Oped is targeting liberals in an attempt to assure them that all is well, 'We have the President on a tight leash.' That is the only real info here. Who was unaware that Trump was an amoral businessman from New York who has cheated on every wife he has ever had and who has a very shallow view of people in a lot of ways, like his comparison of Melania to Ted Cruz's wife. This really isnt news to anyone who closely followed the Republican primaries in 2016.

No important information was leaked either. This was certainly no 'Pentagon Papers' by any means.

Which makes me wonder, why would anyone risk their career to publish such a nothing-burger? If you have ever met/known or worked for these types of people, a mix of sycophantic courtier, hard nosed politician and sociopathic opportunist, they are all about one thing; going up the career ladder. They do that by being a team player and making their guy win. IF a staff member even meets a member of the other side without being cleared, that dudes career is torched and he is branded untrustworthy. To publish a letter like this that literally has no point to it other than 'Trump is a moron and we are shielding the world from him' is completely 100000% contrary to the nature of these animals. It is completely unbelievable. They would not risk their hard earned status to write such a pointless piece of drek.

Why would a Republican operative write an assuring piece for the benefit of liberals with no upside for him?

Why would he give the editors of the New York Times, commie Central, a razor with which they could cut his throat by outing him as author, end his career and ruin him for the rest of his life? Any GOP political activist sees the NYT as the enemy, not their mommy to run crying to.

No Veteran GOP operative or activist wrote this piece of horse shit. It is contrary to how these people work, how they see the political universe, in which the Times is Satan on a Stick, or how they would do such a thing if they felt that they had to.

And the authors explanation doesnt add up either. IF they know Trump is such a loose cannon and off the rails, and are constantly working to keep him within the lane markers of sanity, why WOULD THEY SEND SUCH A PROVOCATIVE PIECE TO THE STAFF OF HIS MOST PROMINENT ENEMIES TO ENRAGE HIM?

This whole article sounds like something a leftwing ideologue would make up to look genuine.....or from the pen of someone who wanted to set them up.

Two things are accomplished by this Oped; 1. The NYT looks stupid, and 2. The NYT just confirmed the existence of the Deep State, all by themselves.

Simple because, most people are driven by emotions not logic. I read over the piece a couple of times and I agree it really doesn't reveal much at all.

However, I do think it's real because a fake letter would likely reveal much more or at least confirm more instances which already have been reported. The fact that the writer is not revealing much makes it difficult for the White House to investigate it and thus gives the person some degree of security. A fake would have no problem dropping breadcrumbs that would point to particular staff members. It will be interesting to see if our mystery insider has a followup. If not, I think that's a further indication that this is real.

I finally got around to reading it yesterday. It was too well written (talking about style, not substance) for an amateur. Their own staff wrote this to create a crisis in the White House and get Trump to turn on his own.

That's what I believe UNTIL this person has the Guts to step forward.
Trump has never trusted anyone. He lives in constant fear of betrayal. That's why loyalty is so important to him. He can't find it.

Yeah, that’s why the NYT’s claims they personally know the writer. Lol

Simple because, most people are driven by emotions not logic. I read over the piece a couple of times and I agree it really doesn't reveal much at all.

However, I do think it's real because a fake letter would likely reveal much more or at least confirm more instances which already have been reported. The fact that the writer is not revealing much makes it difficult for the White House to investigate it and thus gives the person some degree of security. A fake would have no problem dropping breadcrumbs that would point to particular staff members. It will be interesting to see if our mystery insider has a followup. If not, I think that's a further indication that this is real.

One will note that the content of the Op Ed isn’t being contested in the OP. Very telling.

As for the Op Ed itself; Its a work of cowardice or self-importance; take your pick. The author risks nothing. IF they were found out tomorrow, they would have a 6 figure book deal in front of them by Tuesday morning; have an unending parade of media outlets willing to give them as much publicity as possible; and would likely be set for life given that most “senior officials” are in the 2nd half already. I personally think it’s Kelly Ann Conway.

One will note that the content of the Op Ed isn’t being contested in the OP. Very telling.

As for the Op Ed itself; Its a work of cowardice or self-importance; take your pick. The author risks nothing. IF they were found out tomorrow, they would have a 6 figure book deal in front of them by Tuesday morning; have an unending parade of media outlets willing to give them as much publicity as possible; and would likely be set for life given that most “senior officials” are in the 2nd half already. I personally think it’s Kelly Ann Conway.
If as you say, it's a work of cowardice or self-importance, then I would say it was Trump. This would not be the first time Trump has written the papers without using his name.
Trump has used several pseudonyms, including "John Barron" (or "John Baron"), "John Miller" and "David Dennison". His practice of sometimes speaking to the media under the guise of a spokesperson has been described as "an open secret" at the Trump Organization and in New York media circles.

In his younger days, Trump says he use to write anonymously in local papers.

Pseudonyms of Donald Trump - Wikipedia

Yeah, that’s why the NYT’s claims they personally know the writer. Lol
Well, the NYT personally knows Trump. They have had an on going battle since the mid 80's.

If as you say, it's a work of cowardice or self-importance, then I would say it was Trump. This would not be the first time Trump has written the papers without using his name.
Trump has used several pseudonyms, including "John Barron" (or "John Baron"), "John Miller" and "David Dennison". His practice of sometimes speaking to the media under the guise of a spokesperson has been described as "an open secret" at the Trump Organization and in New York media circles.

Very true. We have both written and audio proof of what you say.

However, I disagree with you. The cowardice isn’t in the content but in the act itself. Trump has a job until the voters or the Senate say otherwise. Everyone in the White House except for the VP serve at the pleasure of the President. So cloaking your work in the word “anonymous” is done to ensure your survival. If this source had revealed that the President puts picante sauce on his ice cream he would be risking just as much as the content that was published. So it’s not a matter of trying to have an effect on public opinion which leads me to dub this an act of cowardice or self-importance; it’s the act itself.

Very true. We have both written and audio proof of what you say.

However, I disagree with you. The cowardice isn’t in the content but in the act itself. Trump has a job until the voters or the Senate say otherwise. Everyone in the White House except for the VP serve at the pleasure of the President. So cloaking your work in the word “anonymous” is done to ensure your survival. If this source had revealed that the President puts picante sauce on his ice cream he would be risking just as much as the content that was published. So it’s not a matter of trying to have an effect on public opinion which leads me to dub this an act of cowardice or self-importance; it’s the act itself.
That may certainly be true. Unless it is eventually revealed who this is, we won't know exactly what the situation is. It wouldn't surprise me if this was Trump himself doing this in order to build his case for false news or whatever might be going through his head. As we know, Trump loves to play these games with the media. He's been doing it for over 20 years. I may be reading this wrong but I don't think Trump likes being president, which is why he's using Twitter so much to creates all these diversions such as the issue of pardoning himself and possibly even this.

What disturbs me is all of this has nothing to do with the real job of being president. Trump should be ignoring it.

Forum List

Back