Why Facts Don’t Change Our Minds

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
I guess this could be one explanation for what is so often seen on internet "discussion" boards and elsewhere

In 1975, researchers at Stanford invited a group of undergraduates to take part in a study about suicide. They were presented with pairs of suicide notes. In each pair, one note had been composed by a random individual, the other by a person who had subsequently taken his own life. The students were then asked to distinguish between the genuine notes and the fake ones.

Some students discovered that they had a genius for the task. Out of twenty-five pairs of notes, they correctly identified the real one twenty-four times. Others discovered that they were hopeless. They identified the real note in only ten instances.

As is often the case with psychological studies, the whole setup was a put-on. Though half the notes were indeed genuine—they’d been obtained from the Los Angeles County coroner’s office—the scores were fictitious. The students who’d been told they were almost always right were, on average, no more discerning than those who had been told they were mostly wrong.

In the second phase of the study, the deception was revealed. The students were told that the real point of the experiment was to gauge their responses to thinking they were right or wrong. (This, it turned out, was also a deception.) Finally, the students were asked to estimate how many suicide notes they had actually categorized correctly, and how many they thought an average student would get right. At this point, something curious happened. The students in the high-score group said that they thought they had, in fact, done quite well—significantly better than the average student—even though, as they’d just been told, they had zero grounds for believing this. Conversely, those who’d been assigned to the low-score group said that they thought they had done significantly worse than the average student—a conclusion that was equally unfounded.

“Once formed,” the researchers observed dryly, “impressions are remarkably perseverant.”​

Why Facts Don’t Change Our Minds

I don't understand the point of this.

orange man bad

No. It's deeper than that. I disagree, but it's deeper than that. Orange Man Bad does not factor into this.

It's more like "Prejudices will be held, no matter what."

I guess you didnt read the entire article
They just keep trying. They think if they just hit another angle. They forget that nothing Bill clinton could do would change the mind of his supporters.

I voted for Trump for very specific reasons.

NOTHING they hit us with can possibly change my mind in 2020

orange man bad

No. It's deeper than that. I disagree, but it's deeper than that. Orange Man Bad does not factor into this.

I did now, and you're correct.

It's "Orange Man Bad." Disappointing.

Newsvine is capable of much better threadage. She really is.

She is?

I see a poster with an avatar consisting regressive leftist virtue signaling talking about facts not changing minds.

It does not get much more ironic than that.

I have my opinion, and you have yours. :)

Obviously.

My opinion is that you have a tendency to act as white knight for the female posters here.

oh snap

orange man bad

upload_2019-4-14_22-58-57.jpeg

It has to do with Self Fulfilling Prophecy...

Self-fulfilling prophecy - Wikipedia

Tell someone they are dicked up or doing well enough times they start believing it's true.

*****SMILE*****

:)

She is?

I see a poster with an avatar consisting regressive leftist virtue signaling talking about facts not changing minds.

It does not get much more ironic than that.

I have my opinion, and you have yours. :)

Obviously.

My opinion is that you have a tendency to act as white knight for the female posters here.

oh snap

I actually like Marion. I like him quite a bit and think he is a genuinely good fellow.

I am just far less chivalrous than he.

orange man bad

They just keep trying. They think if they just hit another angle. They forget that nothing Bill clinton could do would change the mind of his supporters.

I voted for Trump for very specific reasons.

NOTHING they hit us with can possibly change my mind in 2020

Which makes you a perfect example of the subject of the OP.
It’s “Alternative Facts” for you. Congratulations genius!:happy-1:

So if the article had made no mention of Trump would it have been better received? I personally would have been just as happy with the article without the Trump reference particularly since they summed it up like this

If your position on, say, (pick any subject) is baseless and I rely on it, then my opinion is also baseless. When I talk to Tom and he decides he agrees with me, his opinion is also baseless, but now that the three of us concur we feel that much more smug about our views. If we all now dismiss as unconvincing any information that contradicts our opinion, you get, well,(fill in the blank).​

So if the article had made no mention of Trump would it have been better received? I personally would have been just as happy with the article without the Trump reference particularly since they summed it up like this

If your position on, say, (pick any subject) is baseless and I rely on it, then my opinion is also baseless. When I talk to Tom and he decides he agrees with me, his opinion is also baseless, but now that the three of us concur we feel that much more smug about our views. If we all now dismiss as unconvincing any information that contradicts our opinion, you get, well,(fill in the blank).​

Absolutely. There was no need to bring him into the conversation if the author was being genuine, but really the whole thing was a set up to bash Trump.

Forum List

Back