Why don't people watch films?

Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Mr. Denning Drives North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the full film, 1 hour 27 minutes:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Here's the full film, 1 hour 9 minutes:

If you watch these films, hopefully you'll like them.

Does the 80s classify as old?...if so, here are two old films that I like:

Yes the 1980s classify as old films....this is because I wasn't born until 1990.

I just recently watched Johnny Guitar . Joan Crawford blew me away. But I also recently saw "Suddenly" with Sinatra as a presidential assassin. Wow.

35 mm film projectors are hard to find. Let alone the reels. I just got through watching "Saharah" with Bogart, I really enjoyed that. On broadcast TV. And there was a movie called "Suddenly" with Sinatra as a presidential assassin.

"Suddenly" this is a good film, Sterling Hayden's in it also....I like Sterling Hayden. "Suddenly" made in 1954, is a little in plot like "The Manchurian Candidate", the latter another great film treated to a pointless remake.

I just recently watched Johnny Guitar . Joan Crawford blew me away. But I also recently saw "Suddenly" with Sinatra as a presidential assassin. Wow.

"Johnny Guitar" is a strange sort of Western, as both the leads are women, aforementioned Joan Crawford and the wonderful Mercedes McCambridge, Sterling Hayden in this film also.

A film with Mercedes McCambridge and Broderick Crawford that I really like is "All The King's Men":

All the King's Men (1949 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The older films are mesmerizing.
When a gesture says more in ten seconds than 100 special effects in 15 minutes.
I know what you mean. The increasing prevalence of special effects has brought about such an imposing detachment from reality it's easy to be distracted or to totally lose interest.
I just discovered a few mesmerizing westerns...unbelievable directing, lighting and editing.
Most of the new films are for the brainless.
The best Western I've seen in recent years is Unforgiven, with Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman and Gene Hackman. It moved away from the quick-draw, dead-shot, all-around badass-hero stereotype and presented us with a credibly realistic character.

Director Eastwood makes good movies. He obviously moves as far away as possible from the ridiculous Dirty Harry stereotype and focuses on realism.

On Westerns, I like "Johnny Guitar" made in 1954, directed by Nicholas Ray:

Johnny Guitar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"High Plains Drifter" made in 1973, directed by Clint Eastwood:

High Plains Drifter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Once Upon A Time In The West" made in 1968, directed by Sergio Leone:

Once Upon a Time in the West - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"3:10 To Yuma" made in 1957 directed by Delmer Daves:

3:10 to Yuma (1957 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also like the first two "Dirty Harry" films, I like "Dirty Harry" made in 1971, "The Dead Pool" made in 1973....not a big fan of "The Enforcer" made in 1973 or "Sudden Impact" made in 1983.

They made some brilliant political thriller films in the 1970s, such as:

"Three Days of The Condor" made in 1975 with Robert Redford, Faye Dunaway, Cliff Robertson and Max von Sydow:

Three Days of the Condor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The Parallax View" made in 1974 with Warren Beatty, Hume Cronyn and Paula Prentiss:

The Parallax View - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know what you mean. The increasing prevalence of special effects has brought about such an imposing detachment from reality it's easy to be distracted or to totally lose interest.
I just discovered a few mesmerizing westerns...unbelievable directing, lighting and editing.
The best Western I've seen in recent years is Unforgiven, with Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman and Gene Hackman. It moved away from the quick-draw, dead-shot, all-around badass-hero stereotype and presented us with a credibly realistic character.

Director Eastwood makes good movies. He obviously moves as far away as possible from the ridiculous Dirty Harry stereotype and focuses on realism.

I also like the first two "Dirty Harry" films, I like "Dirty Harry" made in 1971, "The Dead Pool" made in 1973....not a big fan of "The Enforcer" made in 1973 or "Sudden Impact" made in 1983.

"Once Upon A Time In The West" absolutely blew me away.
One of the greatest movies ever.

Song was great. One of my favorite Charlie Bronson characters.

Yes I agree, it's a pretty long film, but enthralling and completely flawless.

It's hypnotic...nothing seems to happen, yet it mesmerizes.

Song was great. One of my favorite Charlie Bronson characters.

The whole soundtrack is brilliant, if you haven't got it, I recommend it.

51PbHy6bksL.jpg

I agree. It is an exceptionally artful movie as Westerns go, thanks mainly to Ennio Morricone's captivating theme music, without which the the effort would have been wasted.

The same may be said for many really good movies, such as Dancing With Wolves, One Upon A Time In America, Out Of Africa, and others. Taking hold of both the audio and visual sense together can have an hypnotic effect.

It's hypnotic...nothing seems to happen, yet it mesmerizes.

That's exactly it, an example:

The opening scene, very hypnotic, you're waiting for something to happen, you can feel something menacing, so you know something IS eventually going to happen and of course it eventually does.

Part II of the opening scene, with the action:

Edited to add stuff.

Last edited:

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Another fabulous film is "White Heat" made in 1949 with James Cagney, Virginia Mayo, Edmond O'Brien and Steve Cochran and directed by Raoul Walsh, who earlier directed James Cagney and Humphrey Bogart in 1939 in the also fabulous "The Roaring Twenties"

Here's the trailer for "White Heat" the duration is 2 minutes and 22 seconds.

White Heat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the trailer for "The Roaring Twenties" the duration is 3 minutes and 20 seconds.

The Roaring Twenties - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Great acting is SO much better than cheezy special effects.

thats what George Lucas never could understand while making the cheesy star wars remakes.He should have just left the original trilogy alone and left it at that.-I personally wish he had never made any after empire strikes back because the truth is,there hasnt been a good star wars movie since Empire.You could tell by Jedi that the actors were tired of the star wars series,their acting was terrible in that film and the story was just horrible.went against everything the other two accomplished.

anyways since jedi WAS made,he should have just left it alone there because you look at the following star wars movies after that,they just dont measure up to the the original trilogy because in the original trilogy,Lucas emphasized ACTING.at least with a new hope and empire he did anyways.

where in these pitiful remakes,its all about special effects which is why they dont have the magic that the original triology had.well original two star wars films anyways.

Another good film is "Point Blank" made in 1967 directed by John Boorman and featuring Lee Marvin, Angie Dickinson, Keenan Wynn and John Vernon:

Point Blank (1967 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the original trailer, duration 2 minutes and 50 seconds.

I really enjoy the old films made in Hollywood's golden era of the 30's and 40's. Make Way For Tomorrow (1937), Impact (1949), Ruggles of Red Gap (1935), Intruder in the Dust (1949) are a few of my favorites.

View attachment 69295

patton1.jpg

91%2BzAoryS3L._SL1500_.jpg

These are those winter time movies - snowy dreary days.

Chili and Grilled Cheese or Tomato Soup and fried ham sandwiches. A large two gallon glass of milk to wash it all down with.

Shadow 355

"Chili and Grilled Cheese or Tomato Soup and fried ham sandwiches."

Also perhaps chocolate sauce and marshmallows on that food, that would be even better :smile:

Forum List

Back