Why don't people watch films?

I think one of the very best ooooooollllldddddd films is 'Kind Hearts & Coronets'.
image.jpeg

Have you seen the original "Gaslight" film? British, made in 1940, with Anton Walbrook and Diana Wynyard and directed by Thorold Dickinson....I think it much superior to the MGM version.

gaslight1940.jpg

Gaslight (1940 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's available for just between £8 to £12 on Amazon, a very good BFI Edition, I have this, good booklet comes with DVD.

Gaslight (Dual Format Edition) [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Anton Walbrook, Diana Wynyard, Thorold Dickinson: DVD & Blu-ray

Have you seen the original "Gaslight" film? British, made in 1940, with Anton Walbrook and Diana Wynyard and directed by Thorold Dickinson....I think it much superior to the MGM version.

View attachment 63447

Gaslight (1940 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's available for just between £8 to £12 on Amazon, a very good BFI Edition, I have this, good booklet comes with DVD.

Gaslight (Dual Format Edition) [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Anton Walbrook, Diana Wynyard, Thorold Dickinson: DVD & Blu-ray
Yes, this is the best version!

Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Mr. Denning Drives North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the full film, 1 hour 27 minutes:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Here's the full film, 1 hour 9 minutes:

If you watch these films, hopefully you'll like them.

Does the 80s classify as old?...if so, here are two old films that I like:

Here are a few recommendations if you like film noir:

The Postman Always Rings Twice

Double Indemnity

The Maltese Falcon

Also, "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" is a great tribute to the film noir movies. However, it is very adult for a Walt Disney movie.

35 mm film projectors are hard to find. Let alone the reels. I just got through watching "Saharah" with Bogart, I really enjoyed that. On broadcast TV. And there was a movie called "Suddenly" with Sinatra as a presidential assassin.

Double Indemnity

The Maltese Falcon

Excellent films, yes...."Double Indemnity" is definately in my Top 10 favourite films, but I also love "The Postman Always Rings Twice" - superior to the remake in 1970s of course - and also "The Maltese Falcon"

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

I like all the old Sherlock Holmes movies -- but only those authentic oldies with Basil Rathbone. In fact I have a CD with several of them.

I like some older movies. One of my very favorites is The Thing From Another World. I have that one saved and I watch it at least once a year (in summer when I need a psychological relief from the bugs, humidity and the crowded world).

Last edited:

Double Indemnity

The Maltese Falcon

Excellent films, yes...."Double Indemnity" is definately in my Top 10 favourite films, but I also love "The Postman Always Rings Twice" - superior to the remake in 1970s of course - and also "The Maltese Falcon"
Those are all good ones.

The older films are mesmerizing.
When a gesture says more in ten seconds than 100 special effects in 15 minutes.

I know what you mean. The increasing prevalence of special effects has brought about such an imposing detachment from reality it's easy to be distracted or to totally lose interest.

I know what you mean. The increasing prevalence of special effects has brought about such an imposing detachment from reality it's easy to be distracted or to totally lose interest.
I just discovered a few mesmerizing westerns...unbelievable directing, lighting and editing.
Most of the new films are for the brainless.

I just discovered a few mesmerizing westerns...unbelievable directing, lighting and editing.
The best Western I've seen in recent years is Unforgiven, with Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman and Gene Hackman. It moved away from the quick-draw, dead-shot, all-around badass-hero stereotype and presented us with a credibly realistic character.

Director Eastwood makes good movies. He obviously moves as far away as possible from the ridiculous Dirty Harry stereotype and focuses on realism.

I like all the old Sherlock Holmes movies -- but only those authentic oldies with Basil Rathbone. In fact I have a CD with several of them.

I like some older movies. One of my very favorites is The Thing From Another World. I have that one saved and I watch it at least once a year (in summer when I need a psychological relief from the bugs, humidity and the crowded world).

"The Thing From Another World", yes excellent stuff, 1951. I love this film, so atmospheric.

The Thing from Another World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old films in 16 or 35mm and with projectors, hard to find and equally hard to use. You mean, old MOVIES that have been digitalized. Different story. The last recent digitalized OLD BW film was "Sahara" with Bogart. It was typical of the era. I liked it.

The best Western I've seen in recent years is Unforgiven, with Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman and Gene Hackman. It moved away from the quick-draw, dead-shot, all-around badass-hero stereotype and presented us with a credibly realistic character.

Director Eastwood makes good movies. He obviously moves as far away as possible from the ridiculous Dirty Harry stereotype and focuses on realism.

On Westerns, I like "Johnny Guitar" made in 1954, directed by Nicholas Ray:

Johnny Guitar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"High Plains Drifter" made in 1973, directed by Clint Eastwood:

High Plains Drifter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Once Upon A Time In The West" made in 1968, directed by Sergio Leone:

Once Upon a Time in the West - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"3:10 To Yuma" made in 1957 directed by Delmer Daves:

3:10 to Yuma (1957 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also like the first two "Dirty Harry" films, I like "Dirty Harry" made in 1971, "The Dead Pool" made in 1973....not a big fan of "The Enforcer" made in 1973 or "Sudden Impact" made in 1983.

Forum List

Back