Why Does the Right Embrace Ignorance as a Virtue?

The researcher:
"The sign of the correlation indicates that science comprehension decreases as political outlooks move in the rightward direction--i.e., the more "liberal" and "Democrat," the more science comprehending."

Westwall:
"Yale university researcher studies conservatives and progressives and finds that conservatives understand science BETTER than the progressives".

Very interesting, the way Westwall claims the researcher says the precise opposite of what the researcher actually said.

Conclusion: If Westwall wants people to stop thinking conservatives are dopes, he should post less often.

"Except that it has the opposite sign: that is, identifying with the Tea Party correlates positively (r = 0.05, p = 0.05) with scores on the science comprehension measure:"

In other words...for the learning impaired like our dear old admiral here....THE MOST conservative of the Repubs are more scientifically literate than the Democrats.

I wonder what percentage of so called conservatives actually believe the earth is six thousand years old? That would make an interesting study.

Very, very small. It is a very small group of evangelicals who hold to that belief. Not even
Catholics believe that. You are grasping at straws because your preconceived notion of superiority has been shot all to hell by a liberal professor.

What a pathetic ass you are....

And that very small group actually has real power over the Republican party and conservatives in terms of how you are perceived. That's power.

I wonder what percentage of so called conservatives actually believe the earth is six thousand years old? That would make an interesting study.

Very, very small. It is a very small group of evangelicals who hold to that belief. Not even
Catholics believe that. You are grasping at straws because your preconceived notion of superiority has been shot all to hell by a liberal professor.

And that very small group actually has real power over the Republican party and conservatives in terms of how you are perceived. That's power.

No, it doesn't. The amount of power those extremists is far less than the power progressives have over the Democrat party and they are truly the most religious nutters of them all. Their belief systems boggle the mind. No other political system has killed more people than progressivism worldwide.

At least the people who think the world is 6,00 years old don't want to kill me because I don't agree with them. That's the purview of the Progressives.

The researcher:
"The sign of the correlation indicates that science comprehension decreases as political outlooks move in the rightward direction--i.e., the more "liberal" and "Democrat," the more science comprehending."

Westwall:
"Yale university researcher studies conservatives and progressives and finds that conservatives understand science BETTER than the progressives".

Very interesting, the way Westwall claims the researcher says the precise opposite of what the researcher actually said.

Conclusion: If Westwall wants people to stop thinking conservatives are dopes, he should post less often.

"Except that it has the opposite sign: that is, identifying with the Tea Party correlates positively (r = 0.05, p = 0.05) with scores on the science comprehension measure:"

In other words...for the learning impaired like our dear old admiral here....THE MOST conservative of the Repubs are more scientifically literate than the Democrats.

Dude, an r of .05 makes the statistics useless, regardless of the p value. That is an r^2 of .0025. It says that the independent variable doesn't predict any thing. The p value of .05 says the r value is absolutly correct in that being a conservative has no bearing on scientific knowlwdge. It's just completely random whether they do or don't

But your posting it as demonstating something sure is appropriate. Kinda proves the point.

Last edited:
The researcher:

Westwall:

Dude, an r of .05 makes the statistics useless, regardless of the p value. That is an r^2 of .0025. It says that the independent variable doesn't predict any thing.

But your posting it as demonstating something sure is appropriate. Kinda proves the point.

:lol::lol::lol: It's a higher value than that which the climatologists found in the oceans where they claim that is solid evidence that oceans ate the warming!

So which is it!:lol::lol:

Your anecdotal interpretations seem to be at odds with a 2011 Gallup poll which indicates that 30% of American adults believe in a literal interpretation of the Bible. Maybe you conducted your own study on that to produce the desired results.

Dude, an r of .05 makes the statistics useless, regardless of the p value. That is an r^2 of .0025. It says that the independent variable doesn't predict any thing.

:lol::lol::lol: It's a higher value than that which the climatologists found in the oceans where they claim that is solid evidence that oceans ate the warming!

So which is it!:lol::lol:

Dude, you've already proven that you don't know what you're reading. What you believe you know is irrelevant.

Here's what we can do. You find an article or study, read it and post it. Then I'll go over it with you and explain it.

Short of that, you're just a goof.

Last edited:
Good rebuttal *shaking head*

Conservatives are mostly dumb, simple minded and with zero honesty today

From your perspective as one who is severely retarded, can you explain how the fact that stupidest people on the forum, you included, are all leftists?

You see, I have a thesis that leftism is built on a foundation of stupidity - so that it will attract people like you.

Oh BTW - which banned leftist troll are you? I could guess, but we cannot speak the name of the pink....

Got it, projection is the best you have? Seriously?

From a Klown who believes in myths and fairy tales Ayn Rand try's to sell? lol

Keynes wrote "The End of Laissez Faire" in 1926. He was correct then, and his insight remains more valid than any economics that conservative Libertarians propound ad infinitum and ad nauseum. Laissez Faire is nothing more than a childish Christmas wish of no substance; just hope and myth, and smoke and mirrors. Fails every time we try even the tiniest bit.

No, it doesn't. The amount of power those extremists is far less than the power progressives have over the Democrat party and they are truly the most religious nutters of them all. Their belief systems boggle the mind. No other political system has killed more people than progressivism worldwide.

At least the people who think the world is 6,00 years old don't want to kill me because I don't agree with them. That's the purview of the Progressives.

You need to get off Beck, Rush, Levine,m etc, it's killing the few brain cells you might have left....

Nc

Why are you still yammering about this. I already told you that you don't know what power is.

How difficult is it for you to learn? How many times did you have to repeat kindergarten before you finally learned to use the potty?

Last edited:

You need to get off Beck, Rush, Levine,m etc, it's killing the few brain cells you might have left....

I don't listen to any of them. I mainly listen to NPR and classic rock stations.

They'd be lost without them, ill defined anger needs a focus.

GOP-Jesus.jpg

You really believe the caption, don't you?

Retard.

HUNDREDS of millions conservatives have spent to create the MYTH of Ronnie, nothing would surprise me Bubba

What's truly funny is in a Yale research paper it was found conservatives have a much better grasp of science than the libs who think they do.:lol::lol:

It turns out that there is about as strong a correlation between scores on the science comprehension scale and identifying with the Tea Party as there is between scores on the science comprehension scale and Conservrepub.

Except that it has the opposite sign: that is, identifying with the Tea Party correlates positively (r = 0.05, p = 0.05) with scores on the science comprehension measure:

www.culturalcognition.net - Cultural Cognition Blog - Some data on education, religiosity, ideology, and science*comprehension

I'm not sure even you know what you're trying to say but as long as your quoting from this blog, let's add this quote from same post.

In this dataset, I found that there is a small correlation (r = -0.05, p = 0.03) between the science comprehension measure and a left-right political outlook measure, Conservrepub, which aggregates liberal-conservative ideology and party self-identification. The sign of the correlation indicates that science comprehension decreases as political outlooks move in the rightward direction--i.e., the more "liberal" and "Democrat," the more science comprehending.

Thanks for pointing this out.

What's truly funny is in a Yale research paper it was found conservatives have a much better grasp of science than the libs who think they do.:lol::lol:

It turns out that there is about as strong a correlation between scores on the science comprehension scale and identifying with the Tea Party as there is between scores on the science comprehension scale and Conservrepub.

Except that it has the opposite sign: that is, identifying with the Tea Party correlates positively (r = 0.05, p = 0.05) with scores on the science comprehension measure:

www.culturalcognition.net - Cultural Cognition Blog - Some data on education, religiosity, ideology, and science*comprehension

Go back to school (along with our law professor who did the 'study') and take Statistics 101.

All you have here is the fact that they took a "minority slice" of a group on the right and held it up against the average. Unless you take a corresponding "slice" from the left, such as people who identify as humanists, evolutionists, or environmentalists, then this is really meaningless other than to show that tea-baggers aren't the dumbest part of the right.

They only used 430 tea party members and 1886 non tea party members. That is not a good study design, that correlation coefficient is terrible. 0 is no correlation and 1 or -1 represents strong correlation. An r value of .05 means nothing.

There's a WHOLE lot missing. The Professor should stick to law and send his statistical analyses over to the Math Department.

Interesting response. Based on your elementary rantings above I had the impression you were a so-called "liberal."

You mean like the Founding fathers, the most radical liberals of the day, not the conservatives (Torries) who stood with King George in 1776? Yes, I am a huge liberal, unlike a conservative who can''t/doesn't use reason, logic or honesty....
:rofl:

You're a Big Daddy Government supporter. The FF valued freedom and personal liberty -- things progressives hate.

You'd have informed on the FF to King George. Guaranteed.

You mean like those big Gov't Founders who chose a federal big Gov't over a small states rights? YES

conservatives choose to ignore facts and reality and live in a right wing world of delusion and disconnect created by the right wing echo chamber of spin, lies and misinformation.

I don't listen to any of them. I mainly listen to NPR and classic rock stations.

I just want to be sure you read this quote from your link in the post above where you were babbling about science comprehension teaparty vs repubs. So from your link, again;

In this dataset, I found that there is a small correlation (r = -0.05, p = 0.03) between the science comprehension measure and a left-right political outlook measure, Conservrepub, which aggregates liberal-conservative ideology and party self-identification. The sign of the correlation indicates that science comprehension decreases as political outlooks move in the rightward direction--i.e., the more "liberal" and "Democrat," the more science comprehending.

I'll say "thanks again" for pointing this out. God you're dumb.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back