Why do some cops not study laws to the adequate level?

northpolarbear

Oct 3, 2015

http://www.constitution.org/uslaw/defunlaw.htm

“Citizens may resist unlawful arrest to the point of taking an arresting officer's life if necessary.”

Cursing Out Police Is Perfectly Legal, But Cops Routinely Arrest People for It

"Being rude is not illegal, even if some of us sometimes wish it were. Being rude to cops, including cursing them out may be ill-advised, but it is protected speech.Yet that doesn’t mean you won’t end up in bracelets anyway.
As the Marshall Project reports, many citizens are illegally arrested for cursing at cop, when in fact, their speech is protected. A police officer from the McKinney, TX police department was captured on the now infamous pool party video throwing a 15-year-old girl to the ground after he accused her of mouthing off. He was later fired for his actions."

Some cops seem to think that they can make the arrests even when the arrests are illegal & that they are immune from profanity. Profanity is legal even against cops; they get it when they deserve it. Also, there is no obligation not to resist an illegal arrest. That's how it is in North America. A North American residing in North America is not obligated to follow some other country's law even if he or she violates a law against someone there like a profanity to an Asian cop through phone.

Also, apparently, the police is not afraid to conceal their wrongdoing.

Police routinely withhold body camera videos after shootings

"But in Burlington and elsewhere around the country, police and other officials are routinely blocking the release of body camera videos while giving officers accused of wrongdoing special access to the footage."

There should be like an organization established so that people are more informed about their rights (like shooting a police officer to death when making an illegal arrest) for the incompetency of the police officers with their level of law knowledge. They seem to sleep through their "basics" classes instead of getting an A+.

There should be something that enforces the boundary of what police does. Like a not-for-profit organization dedicated to teaching the public what cops can & can't do. That way, if a citizen gets his or her right violated, you know so & can teach the cop on it. There is already some legal supervising system to punish the cops violating laws, right? You just have to know to contact them when such happens.

I posted this in a wrong section, so reposting in the law section.

Picking out a few incidents with 8 or 9 hundred thousand cops out there doesn't make your case. Cops know the law better than roadside lawyers, never heard of an arrest for mouthing off, care to share? Now if you are resisting arrest with running your alligator yap at full speed, you're breaking the law and it's a good arrest.

Cops deal with stupid assholes on a regular basis, they get lots of practice.

“Citizens may resist unlawful arrest to the point of taking an arresting officer's life if necessary.”

"Being rude is not illegal, even if some of us sometimes wish it were. Being rude to cops, including cursing them out may be ill-advised, but it is protected speech.Yet that doesn’t mean you won’t end up in bracelets anyway.
As the Marshall Project reports, many citizens are illegally arrested for cursing at cop, when in fact, their speech is protected. A police officer from the McKinney, TX police department was captured on the now infamous pool party video throwing a 15-year-old girl to the ground after he accused her of mouthing off. He was later fired for his actions."

Some cops seem to think that they can make the arrests even when the arrests are illegal & that they are immune from profanity. Profanity is legal even against cops; they get it when they deserve it. Also, there is no obligation not to resist an illegal arrest. That's how it is in North America. A North American residing in North America is not obligated to follow some other country's law even if he or she violates a law against someone there like a profanity to an Asian cop through phone.

"But in Burlington and elsewhere around the country, police and other officials are routinely blocking the release of body camera videos while giving officers accused of wrongdoing special access to the footage."

There should be like an organization established so that people are more informed about their rights (like shooting a police officer to death when making an illegal arrest) for the incompetency of the police officers with their level of law knowledge. They seem to sleep through their "basics" classes instead of getting an A+.

There should be something that enforces the boundary of what police does. Like a not-for-profit organization dedicated to teaching the public what cops can & can't do. That way, if a citizen gets his or her right violated, you know so & can teach the cop on it. There is already some legal supervising system to punish the cops violating laws, right? You just have to know to contact them when such happens.

Being arrested, and being charged or convicted of something are different things. In the case of someone being rude, could be arrested and charged with disorderly conduct. The speech was legal, but being disorderly wasn't.

According to the law articles I quoted, "being rude" & using profanity is completely legal.

Also, apparently, resisting arrest is legal even if you end up killing the cop if the arrest is illegal. I'm quoting "them". Also, in my experience, lawyers have been better equipped with the law knowledge than the cops. For example, there was a cop who told me that a physical assault does not include a mere unwanted physical contact but has to have a deadly threat. This was false according to lawyers & legal websites.

I am not referring to all cops. I am referring to "some" cops.

I wasn't familiar with the law on disorderly contact, so I googled a law website.

"The problem arises when charges of disorderly conduct begin to violate a person’s right to the freedom of speech and assembly. In some instances, law enforcement can slap the undeserving with this criminal charge when in fact they were simply exercising their Constitutional rights. If law enforcement is attempting to gain control of a situation that they feel is dangerous, they will begin to charge persons with disorderly conduct.
These charges, however, can often be backed up by insufficient or completely missing evidence. If this is the case, an experienced criminal defense lawyer can step up and begin to ask for an immediate dismissal. You should not have to suffer with a criminal charge that has no reasoning behind it to validate or back up the criminal charge."

http://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=21459

So, disorderly conduct doesn't seem to apply when it "violate a person’s right to the freedom of speech and assembly".

According to the law articles I quoted, "being rude" & using profanity is completely legal.

Also, apparently, resisting arrest is legal even if you end up killing the cop if the arrest is illegal. I'm quoting "them". Also, in my experience, lawyers have been better equipped with the law knowledge than the cops. For example, there was a cop who told me that a physical assault does not include a mere unwanted physical contact but has to have a deadly threat. This was false according to lawyers & legal websites.

I am not referring to all cops. I am referring to "some" cops.
Killing a cop because you think the arrest is illegal. Yeah, good luck with that one, Sparky.

Not because you "think" but because "it is". According to the laws. “Citizens may resist unlawful arrest to the point of taking an arresting officer's life if necessary.” Plummer v. State, 136 Ind. 306. This premise was upheld by the Supreme Court of the United States in the case: John Bad Elk v. U.S., 177 U.S. 529.

And that's happened how many times? 1 out of a million? Seems like a dangerous and stupid gamble to me when you could settle the matter with a lawyer.

Cops arrest folks for dissing them, you bet, and, yes, it is illegal, and, yes, there is redress for it.

Never resist an arrest, even if it is illegal. You do have an obligation to submit to such arrest, unless your life or limb are in danger.

There is no obligation to submit to such arrest according to the supreme court.
Assuming you live anyway. It's a stupid gamble with the ultimate stakes when an unlawful arrest can put money in your pocket. Cops lose very few of those battles, they're trained and armed, you likely aren't.

There is no obligation to submit to such arrest according to the supreme court.
You read it wrongly. You commit a crime if you resist arrest, even if unlawful, unless your life or limb is in obvious danger. Some states have even removed the legality of citizen's arrest.

I was talking for the general right. Not about me gun-fighting against a cop.

There was nothing to read wrong. I quoted. Please provide a reference if you say that even an unlawful arrest, especially when you didn't do an actual crime except for the perfectly legal profanity against cop or such, has an obligation to be submitted. The Supreme Court & Constitution aren't above the state laws even if some states removed the legality of citizen's arrest (whatever that removal means)?

Last edited:

There was nothing to read wrong. I quoted. Please provide a reference if you say that even an unlawful arrest, especially when you didn't an actual crime except for the perfectly legal profanity against cop or such, has an obligation to be submitted. The Supreme Court & Constitution aren't above the state laws even if some states removed the legality of citizen's arrest (whatever that removal means)?
This is your OP, not ours. You have to provide the evidence. Your opinion is not evidence. Provide it.

There was nothing to read wrong. I quoted. Please provide a reference if you say that even an unlawful arrest, especially when you didn't do an actual crime except for the perfectly legal profanity against cop or such, has an obligation to be submitted. The Supreme Court & Constitution aren't above the state laws even if some states removed the legality of citizen's arrest (whatever that removal means)?
I couldn't understand your post. My point was simple, play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Legal matters are best decided in court, not on the ground with an armed trained cop.

Not every cop is a stupid flatfoot.

Why....I do not know, some City agencies in America require you to have a 4 year degree before being hired.

I have seen on television ( ? Documentary - "Cops" TV show - news ??? ) , city officers with a law degree, which is a bachelors degree and then law school. That equals about 6 to 8 years of college ( 3-4 years for a bachelors - 3 to 4 years of law school : Full & part time college attendance ). Why someone would want to go to college for 6 to 8 years......to be a beat cop, is beyond me. People with PhD's and Master Degrees......and then they go to the FBI or the Secret Service when they could make four times what they make as a Federal Agent.......in the Civilian Sector. I had a Law Degree, I sure as heck would not go to the FBI for 30 something ( income ) a year = MEANING, why put yourself through all that education.....studying and bust azz hard work.......to chase gangsters and mafia dons......for 30 something a year.

I seen on the DEA's website that one of the qualifications to be a DEA Agent ( 1811 - criminal investigator ) was to have a 4 year degree with a GPA of 2.95 ; If you have a law degree, the GPA is not a matter.

So, that Deputy you see, that City officer you see, that Park Ranger you see, that Game Warden you see.......might just have a college education. Psychology, Psychiatry, Finance, Law, Computer Science, Engineering? A host of college degrees.......open for Police Officers ; who are way more smarter and intellectual....than a perp.

Shadow 355

I couldn't understand your post. My point was simple, play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Legal matters are best decided in court, not on the ground with an armed trained cop.

"Legal matters are best decided in court, not on the ground with an armed trained cop."

You don't debate or argue someone's case in the field. Debating leads to heated arguments which leads to a physical confrontation. Right or wrong, innocence or guilt......let the judge decide.

If probable cause exists...thats it...story over. Someone goes to jail, or in the least is issued a ticket.

Arguing leads to a long drawn out debate which leads to a physical confrontation. Make the event as short as possible.

Shadow 355

New Topics

Forum List

Back