Why didn't Obama replenish the N95 mask national supply that was depleted after the H1N1 outbreak of 2009 ?

So why don't you tell Trump to stop blaming Obama for the shortage if that's the case.
Because the ass hats in the media are blaming Trump, and he's properly pointing out to those partisan hacks, that the problems with resupplying the stockpile predates his administration by over a decade.
If Obama is to blame then so it Trump. Show me where Trump said that it was his fault for not filling the SNS under his administration. If you can't, then you really need to STFU

T
I'm not blaming Obama, so no need to be vulgar

Try just talking with people in a rational way, and stop with all the hostility.

But of course the left and their media will never do any significant reporting on this.
(hint to our board libs: Trump was not president in 2009, nor 2010, nor 2011, nor 2012, nor 2013, nor 2014, nor 2015, nor 2016)

"the H1N1 influenza outbreak in 2009, which triggered a nationwide shortage of masks and caused a 2- to 3-year backlog orders for the N95 variety, the stockpile distributed about three-quarters of its inventory and didn’t build back the supply."

Why didn't trump replenish them in 2017

Still the US has stockpiles of surgical mask and the N95 type

HHS told Congress last month that the government stockpile contains 30 million surgical masks and 12 million of the more protective N95 masks. He said there were an additional 5 million N95 masks that may have passed their expiration date.

The government seems to have plenty of mask so why did Trump only send 400 masks to NYC which has one of the highest rates

Is he saving them for a rainy day or is this a fine example of Trump who believes that this will be over with in a few weeks
Who needs New York?

About this rating
What's True
The U.S. federal stockpile of N95 protective face masks was largely depleted during the 2009 swine flu outbreak and was not restocked.
What's False
However, the Obama administration was not solely responsible for the current shortage of masks. In the intervening years, the stockpile went unreplenished as the Trump administration failed to heed indications that dramatic shortages could occur.
Why didn't Trump replenish the supply? What he did was to disband the pandemic task force that was formed by Obama.
The answer is simple, the same lazy and incompetent career professionals whose job it is to restock the masks, were the same people working under Obama, and now Trump. They didn't replenish supplies in 2009, they didn't do it in 2019 either.

I assure you, neither Trump nor Obama spent the wee hours of their mornings pouring over the databases and spread sheets, checking up on the CDC to see if they restocked PPE.

So why don't you tell Trump to stop blaming Obama for the shortage if that's the case.

If you're going to blame Trump for failing to build the supply up during his 3 years, then you must also blame Obama for failing to build it up during his 8 years.
See how that works ?
The fact is both the Obama and Trump administration are both guilty of not rebuilding the supply. However this a diversion from a far more serious problem. For the two critical months when the virus was in the containment phase, from early January to Early March, the president downplayed the seriousness of virus, comparing it to "just the common flu", a hoax, and he backed his comments with his lack of action, doing almost nothing except closing the border to the those from China. He blamed the press for acting hysterically about the virus, which had spread from China, to Japan, South Korea, Iran, Italy and the U.S, and he downplayed its dangers, saying against expert opinion it was on par with the flu. On Feb 26th, he reassures the nation that the federal government is ready to handle any outbreak. Did he order masks and protective gear during this period when the virus was spreading? Nope. The states were not allowed to test for the virus in Feb which made tracing contacts almost impossible. Those two precious months when the virus could have been contained were gone by the time Trump put the wheels in motion on March 4th. The containment phase was ending and mitigation phase was beginning.
And you know who was telling Trump that the virus was not a threat to the USA, that our federal agencies would be able to contain it? That would be the experts in the CDC, NIH, etc...

...but he knows more than the experts.

I see how that works, absolutely! Both boys failed in this effort. However, The World Health Organization announced in
December that a pandemic was on its way and Trump did nothing except to blame the Democrats for a hoax.....for 2 months. He then appoints two hacks to head our effort, instead of medical experts and scientists who have the experience.
He is only making things worse with his blather and people like you are reveling in his bad behavior, as usual.
And as late as January 14th, that same World Health Organization told the world that the coronavirus was not contagious between humans. And I guess that too is just mean old 0range man's fault?
show me that report.
The World Knows an Apocalyptic Pandemic Is Coming
But nobody is interested in doing anything about it.
BY LAURIE GARRETT | SEPTEMBER 20, 2019, 12:48 PM

I see how that works, absolutely! Both boys failed in this effort. However, The World Health Organization announced in
December that a pandemic was on its way and Trump did nothing except to blame the Democrats for a hoax.....for 2 months. He then appoints two hacks to head our effort, instead of medical experts and scientists who have the experience.
He is only making things worse with his blather and people like you are reveling in his bad behavior, as usual.
And as late as January 14th, that same World Health Organization told the world that the coronavirus was not contagious between humans. And I guess that too is just mean old 0range man's fault?

Trump denied that there was a problem and blamed the Dems for a "hoax". It is his fault for not turning it over to the medical and science communities. Instead, he installed 2 inexperienced hacks to head up the response. Amateur night in Dixie.

About this rating
What's True
The U.S. federal stockpile of N95 protective face masks was largely depleted during the 2009 swine flu outbreak and was not restocked.
What's False
However, the Obama administration was not solely responsible for the current shortage of masks. In the intervening years, the stockpile went unreplenished as the Trump administration failed to heed indications that dramatic shortages could occur.
Why didn't Trump replenish the supply? What he did was to disband the pandemic task force that was formed by Obama.
The answer is simple, the same lazy and incompetent career professionals whose job it is to restock the masks, were the same people working under Obama, and now Trump. They didn't replenish supplies in 2009, they didn't do it in 2019 either.

I assure you, neither Trump nor Obama spent the wee hours of their mornings pouring over the databases and spread sheets, checking up on the CDC to see if they restocked PPE.

If you're going to blame Trump for failing to build the supply up during his 3 years, then you must also blame Obama for failing to build it up during his 8 years.
See how that works ?
The fact is both the Obama and Trump administration are both guilty of not rebuilding the supply. However this a diversion from a far more serious problem. For the two critical months when the virus was in the containment phase, from early January to Early March, the president downplayed the seriousness of virus, comparing it to "just the common flu", a hoax, and he backed his comments with his lack of action, doing almost nothing except closing the border to the those from China. He blamed the press for acting hysterically about the virus, which had spread from China, to Japan, South Korea, Iran, Italy and the U.S, and he downplayed its dangers, saying against expert opinion it was on par with the flu. On Feb 26th, he reassures the nation that the federal government is ready to handle any outbreak. Did he order masks and protective gear during this period when the virus was spreading? Nope. The states were not allowed to test for the virus in Feb which made tracing contacts almost impossible. Those two precious months when the virus could have been contained were gone by the time Trump put the wheels in motion on March 4th. The containment phase was ending and mitigation phase was beginning.
And you know who was telling Trump that the virus was not a threat to the USA, that our federal agencies would be able to contain it? That would be the experts in the CDC, NIH, etc...
and also Dr Fausi, et al and Trump brushed them aside.

About this rating
What's True
What's False

See how that works ?

I haven't blamed anyone for failing to build the supply up, that is what you Trump Humpers have been doing.

You can actually say that with a straight face ?
Ok, maybe you SPECIFICALLY haven't blamed anyone specific, but YOUR side sure the fuck has, and the fingers have been exclusively pointed at Trump !

Who the fuck is my side? Trump is the POTUS TODAY, who the hell else are they going to point the finger at.

This is why I started this thread. It wasn't to BLAME Obama specifically, it was intended to show your side, that we have had the warnings for many many years, that we were not prepared for this size of pandemic, and we were not prepared for the consequences of not being prepared.
All of our leaders have failed, going back decades !

Who the fuck is MY side?

Fingers need to be pointed at all leaders past and present for failing to prepare for this pandemic, and failing to protect the American people.

Have you read the HHS study from 2005 ? I did. It's longer than shit, and very detailed and boring, but It spelled out what would be needed if we were hit by another Spanish Flu size pandemic.
Bush failed, all governors at that time failed.
Obama failed, all governors at that time failed.
Trump failed, all governors at this time have failed.
I wouldn't say those presidents failed in every area. I'd say the career professionals in the CDC and the other federal health agencies failed. Those agencies couldn't even keep our national stockpile resupplied. There are procedures and regulations which tell those people how they are supposed to do their jobs. Our presidents are not supposed to micromanage those agencies.

The failures we ran into were a lack of ventilators, masks, face shields and other PPE not being properly resupplied to the national stockpile. We also had a couple of FDA rules, which made it impossible for the nation to perform enough blood tests to check for the virus. We had another FDA rule restricting the manufacture of ventilators. None of these were something I would say were the fault of the president. Those were all the fault of federal agencies not following procedures, or not recognizing the bottle necks that those FDA regs would cause during an epidemic.
Masks have a 5 year shelve life. Anything Obama bought & stored prior to 2016 would have been expired.

Trump denied that there was a problem and blamed the Dems for a "hoax". It is his fault for not turning it over to the medical and science communities. Instead, he installed 2 inexperienced hacks to head up the response. Amateur night in Dixie.

Its like a feeding frenzy as FOX commentator downplay the situation quoting such ridiculous stats that is not as bad as this or that that happen years ago. The right wing media leads their flock down a path that fake stories that the CDC is padding the numbers for political reasons. Trump takes this as now he can make such comments as you mention. Ignoring one significant fact.

That fact is that people have caught this disease and some have died. To make light of it or downplay it will cost the re pubs dearly in the next election. It show that they will say anything to maintain power no matter what even if its not the truth but just their spin on it. People have family members who have died and have been sick. I am sure they do not buy this hype by the right.

MAGA , well here is what Trump's Maga has created which is a country like America which has places where you can't even go to the store and buy toilet paper and other minor necessities in arguable one of the richest and most productive nations in the world. Where people have died and right spins it and ignores people dying as yada yada this and yada yada that. Ignoring one fundamental truth. No on is in a hurry to die and if life matters then you can't belittle death.

But of course the left and their media will never do any significant reporting on this.
(hint to our board libs: Trump was not president in 2009, nor 2010, nor 2011, nor 2012, nor 2013, nor 2014, nor 2015, nor 2016)

"the H1N1 influenza outbreak in 2009, which triggered a nationwide shortage of masks and caused a 2- to 3-year backlog orders for the N95 variety, the stockpile distributed about three-quarters of its inventory and didn’t build back the supply."

Tell you what, you answer this and I'll answer your question, otherwise you sorry brain dead simp, shut the fuck up.
Trump Says ‘Nobody’ Knew Pandemic Was Coming. His Adviser Warned Of It In January.
Peter Navarro, Trump’s trade adviser, reportedly penned two memos — in January and then February — warning of potential catastrophe because of COVID-19.

Its like a feeding frenzy as FOX commentator downplay the situation quoting such ridiculous stats that is not as bad as this or that that happen years ago. The right wing media leads their flock down a path that fake stories that the CDC is padding the numbers for political reasons. Trump takes this as now he can make such comments as you mention. Ignoring one significant fact.

That fact is that people have caught this disease and some have died. To make light of it or downplay it will cost the re pubs dearly in the next election. It show that they will say anything to maintain power no matter what even if its not the truth but just their spin on it. People have family members who have died and have been sick. I am sure they do not buy this hype by the right.

MAGA , well here is what Trump's Maga has created which is a country like America which has places where you can't even go to the store and buy toilet paper and other minor necessities in arguable one of the richest and most productive nations in the world. Where people have died and right spins it and ignores people dying as yada yada this and yada yada that. Ignoring one fundamental truth. No on is in a hurry to die and if life matters then you can't belittle death.
FOX NEWS will go down in history along with red states, Trump supporters and Trump as single handily prolonging this pandemic. How these rating chasing advertising needing bastards all sleep at night, only God knows...but one thing is certain....despite the lies they tell their viewers, all them mf's are bunkering down with the advice the Dr. is telling us...they may not be telling their viewers this shit, but these cowards are all down with the program....trust me.

and also Dr Fausi, et al and Trump brushed them aside.
Trump did not brush them aside. Remember, back on Jan 26th Dr Fauci was telling the US public that COVID-19 was not something to worry about, and it was of a very low risk to the US. Five days later Trump declared the virus a national public health emergency, banned flights from China, and instituted quarantine procedures for incoming travelers.

So stop with this crap that Trump "brushed them aside." Trump was being called a racist, a xenophobe and that he was overreacting, by the same Trump-haters who claim he didn't act soon enough,or that he brushed aside the recommendations by the CDC and NIH medical experts.

ell you what, you answer this and I'll answer your question, otherwise you sorry brain dead simp, shut the fuck up.
Trump Says ‘Nobody’ Knew Pandemic Was Coming. His Adviser Warned Of It In January.
Peter Navarro, Trump’s trade adviser, reportedly penned two memos — in January and then February — warning of potential catastrophe because of COVID-19.
Peter Navarro is an economist. Who should any president listen to about medical matters, the Doctors working at the CDC and NIH, or the Assistant to the President, and Director of Trade and Manufacturing Policy????

Dr Fauci was going on radio, TV and even podcasts all throughout January, telling the nation that COVID-19 was a "very low risk to the US."

NIH Expert Fauci: Coronavirus 'No Worry' for Americans

As media reports increase the awareness, if not hysteria, of the coronavirus outbreak in China, a top U.S. heath official is tamping down on the perceived threat to Americans.

"It isn't something the American public needs to worry about or be frightened about, because we have ways of preparing and screening of people coming in [from China]," National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) Director Anthony Fauci told "The Cats Roundtable" on 970 AM-N.Y.,
per The Hill.

...but he knows more than the experts.
You people keep running with that lie, but it just makes you look stupid.

All Trump does is repeat what his experts in the CDC and NIH tell him. And then a week, a month of a few days later, when the experts reaccess their views and opinions on the virus, you call Trump a liar.

Sorry, but...

1) it was the experts telling Trump in early January that the virus was not contagious between humans

2) It was the experts in late January telling Trump the virus was a very low risk to the US and the American people should not worry

Evey week or so, the statements and predictions by the experts change,. So you cannot claim that Trump lied or misled, or ignored the asessment of the virus of his experts, when the knowledge and understanding of this virus keeps changing day to day.

Obama set up a Pandemic Response Team to take care of it. However, Trump FIRED them in 2018.
Red herring.

The pandemic response team was not eliminated, it was simply merged with other agencies doing the same thing.

The Daily Signal – 25 Mar 20

The Truth About the Charge That Trump ‘Eliminated’ White House Pandemic...
“We consolidated three directorates into one,” former NSC official Tim Morrison tells The Daily Signal.

President Barack Obama closed the White House Health and Security Office in 2009, according to The Washington Post. But after the emergence of the Ebola virus in 2014, the Obama administration opened the Directorate for Global Health Security and Biodefense as part of the NSC.

As part of a larger reorganization, Bolton in 2018 merged the Directorate for Global Health Security and Biodefense with two other functions into a new Directorate of Counterproliferation and Biodefense.

Trump created the coronavirus task force run by Vice President Mike Pence. Their sole purpose is to address this pandemic. so don’t act like just because the team that Obama created was merged as part of the reorganization, that nothing is in place to perform all the required duties.

We also have the Division of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases over at the NIH. So do not play this stupid game where you claim some team Obama tossed together in the last months of his administration, was the beginning and end to how our nation addresses a viral epidemic.

Like I said, that pandemic response team is nothing but a red herring people like you keep tossing out there. You can't even cite for me one thing the Pandemic Response Team would have been doing, that would be different from what we are doing right now.

The Truth About the Charge That Trump ‘Eliminated’ White House Pandemic Office Before Coronavirus

Forum List

Back