Why didnt FDR tell VP Truman about the ABomb

FDR didn't hide his paralysis from the public, most knew FDR was paralyzed. Newsreels showed FDR in therapy in Warm Springs Georgia, even as he was president. In 1938 the March of Dimes was started using FDR's paralysis as a springboard to combat polio.
What FDR didn't do, was use his paralysis to gain votes or sympathy, nor did Republicans use FDR's paralysis against him. Republicans of those years were different than today's Republicans. In any case Americans knew, and it didn't matter, they still voted for him four times and Historians still rate FDR as America's greatest president.

Republicans never made an issue out of FDR's handicap but FDR's handlers were extremely careful to keep FDR's health issues a secret such as off the charts blood pressure. His medical records went missing after he died and it seems that the media was relieved that they didn't have to speculate about a possible series of strokes and FDR's mental health in his 3rd and the few months of his 4th term.

Perhaps Wilson, Reagan, FDR and others should have had exams and the results made public before the election. Imagine the ruckus in the political arena made of a physical abnormality. Would Congress pass such a law, or a president issue an executive order, perhaps a constitutional amendment? Would Congress pass the same law regarding congressmen, generals admirals?
I don't think FDR's physician even told FDR of his health, perhaps because FDR didn't want to hear it. In any case a touchy subject but it should give us cause to think.

Perhaps Wilson, Reagan, FDR and others should have had exams and the results made public before the election. Imagine the ruckus in the political arena made of a physical abnormality. Would Congress pass such a law, or a president issue an executive order, perhaps a constitutional amendment? Would Congress pass the same law regarding congressmen, generals admirals?
I don't think FDR's physician even told FDR of his health, perhaps because FDR didn't want to hear it. In any case a touchy subject but it should give us cause to think.

Yeah but they only served two terms. Democrats ran a zombie for his 4th term and lied to Americans that he was healthy.

I don't think FDR's physician even told FDR of his health.

Link? Proof?

What? Do you think FDR didn't know he was dying? Everybody else did. That's why they dumped Wallace and put a harmless little clothing store owner with a high school education on the ticket. FDR was sure to be re-elected if they could prop him up long enough and Truman was a controllable fool and that's what the the democrats wanted..

Well the people elected FDR for the fourth time, dying or not and it should tell us something about FDR, the people, and the times. Truman didn't seem too controllable by either party, and he is usually rated in the top ten presidents. But Truman did fire MacArthur and that put him on my high on my A list. It was one of the failings of FDR keeping big Mac.

Well the people elected FDR for the fourth time, dying or not and it should tell us something about FDR, the people, and the times. Truman didn't seem too controllable by either party, and he is usually rated in the top ten presidents. But Truman did fire MacArthur and that put him on my high on my A list. It was one of the failings of FDR keeping big Mac.

FDR was one of the WORST....if not THE WORST.

He actually has much in common with BO. Both men are not statesmen, both know nothing of economics, both are not students of government or history. But, both are wholly able in politics and in the art of getting votes.

Below is a factual summary that depicts the true FDR....he was a major league scumbag and should be renounced by all Americans. But Americans do not learn from history and continually fall for the lies of the slick politician.

1) Roosevelt lied to the country regarding his intentions of entering the war.

2) Roosevelt took great strides to get first Germany, and after failing this, Japan, to strike the first blow.

3) Roosevelt ignored and otherwise did not take advantage of the many proposals by Japan that, if acted upon, could have avoided the upcoming armed conflict.

4) Roosevelt entered the war well before any declaration by Congress.

5) Roosevelt encouraged Britain and France to provide a guarantee to Poland, a guarantee known to the Western powers to have no teeth.

6) Roosevelt chose to side with Stalin, who at the beginning of the war had more blood on his hands than all the other leaders of belligerent countries combined.

7) Roosevelt did not extend U.S. support for Jews attempting to emigrate from Central Europe and immigrate into the United States until 1944.

8) Roosevelt knew of the impending attack by Japan somewhere in the Pacific, and very likely specifically that it would come at Pearl Harbor.

9) Roosevelt avoided taking action to properly alert and otherwise protect the troops.

10) Roosevelt made unconditional surrender a requirement of the axis combatants, prolonging the war in both Europe and the Pacific.

11) Roosevelt cut Poland loose to the communists after the war.

12) Truman had many opportunities to end the war in the Pacific in the Spring of 1945, instead choosing to delay the end in order to give time for development of the bomb.

13) Truman continued Roosevelt’s policy of demanding unconditional surrender, despite protests from many military and other advisors.

14) Truman chose to drop two bombs on Japan after months of Japan signaling its willingness to meeting all terms of the allies with the exception of removal of the Emperor (an exception also desired by allied commanders, and an exception granted immediately after the surrender in any case).

15) Truman afforded many diplomatic victories to Russia in Asia, despite the lack of contribution or need of the Russian forces in this victory.

16) Truman backed away from the Chinese Nationalists in favor of the Communists – this despite one purported reason for U.S. animosity toward Japan being U.S. support for the Nationalists.

17) The allies both acquiesced and aided in the forced transfer of up to 14 million Germans to Germany from various locations in Central Europe.

18) The allies both acquiesced and aided in the forced transfer of perhaps several million captured Russian soldiers and other refugees fleeing the communists to Russia against their will, resulting in their imprisonment or execution upon return.

Lies, deception, treachery, genocide, and potentially treason. Can anything associated with such actions be called “good”? Can a government be called representative if it acts with deception towards its citizens? Can a democracy (or a republic) be considered acting based on the will of the people when such actions are taken via lies? Except for the fact of winning the war, can these actions be distinguished from many of the crimes on the side of the axis – for which countless were tried, imprisoned, or executed?

All the charges you've made are well known by historians, they know the circumstances of each charge and the truth of each charge yet they still rate FDR number one. These are historians, not posters, not a few authors taking some opportunity to make a few bucks by coming up with some half baked charges that have little evidence to back them.
As to the charges I read a few and dismissed them as the usual bunk. For example, if the Japanese wanted to surrender why didn't they lay down their arms and allow the Americans to enter Japan rather than be invaded with force. The Japanese had been offered terms, better than those given Germany before the bombs were dropped.
Think of it this way suppose Germany had demanded no harm come to Hitler if they surrendered, Americans did not think of Hirohito as a God nor of Hitler as a God. Both had made war on the United States.

All the charges you've made are well known by historians, they know the circumstances of each charge and the truth of each charge yet they still rate FDR number one. .

reject is still clinging to a fallacy.

I don't think FDR's physician even told FDR of his health.

Link? Proof?

No,no,no one does not ask for proof when one has qualified his remarks with "I think". My proof would be me, see how that works?

So your empty comments were based on absolutely nothing? Just baseless speculation? Yeah, that sounds about right.

Btw, "I think" does NOT cover such rank speculation.

Link? Proof?

No,no,no one does not ask for proof when one has qualified his remarks with "I think". My proof would be me, see how that works?

So your empty comments were based on absolutely nothing? Just baseless speculation? Yeah, that sounds about right.

No...he/she/it concludes that since many liberal historians rate the FOOL FDR highly, that must be correct. So, the conclusion is not based on facts or the truth.

Sadly many Americans have been brainwashed by the p-school indoctrination centers and they aren't capable of overcoming it.

No doubt liberal historians will rate BO highly some day and Regent will dutifully believe.

Last edited:

No...he/she/it concludes that since many liberal historians rate the FOOL FDR highly, that must be correct. So, the conclusion is not based on facts or the truth.

Sadly many Americans have been brainwashed by the p-school indoctrination centers and they aren't capable of overcoming it.

No doubt liberal historians will rate BO highly some day and Regent will dutifully believe.

Yep, if 238 noted historians and presidential experts are asked to rate Obama's presidency I will consider their evaluation more valid than mine or yours.
If you disagree with the historians, I would suggest you send them your historical evidence pointing our their errors. In any case until they get your evidence, FDR is still rated by as number one, the greatest. But take heart, each time a new president is added to the ratings there is a slight shuffling, might want to check out where Bush ended up on his entry.

Clinging to that fallacy sure is easier than thinking for yourself, huh bobblehead?

Regent believing in something just because some believe it, is not smart. You must think for yourself.

Regarding FDR, the evidence is overwhelming that he was a fool and a traitor. He did so many things that qualify for condemnation, but the interning American Japanese should qualify all by itself. To say nothing of his economic policies that impoverish millions and prolonged the Great Depression, his efforts to pack the SC, his numerous deceptive activities, his persistent lies regarding keeping us out of WWII while doing all he could instigate war, seeking reelection while dying during America's greatest war, consistently doing Stalin's bidding, etc...............................................................

Regent believing in something just because some believe it, is not smart. You must think for yourself.

Regarding FDR, the evidence is overwhelming that he was a fool and a traitor. He did so many things that qualify for condemnation, but the interning American Japanese should qualify all by itself. To say nothing of his economic policies that impoverish millions and prolonged the Great Depression, his efforts to pack the SC, his numerous deceptive activities, his persistent lies regarding keeping us out of WWII while doing all he could instigate war, seeking reelection while dying during America's greatest war, consistently doing Stalin's bidding, etc...............................................................

I would suspect that FDR has been studied, analyzed, dissected and investigated as much any US president including Lincoln. There is little not known about him, or those about him, and it is all in the record, I even know what high school Harold Ickes attended. Yet with all that his known of his successes and his failures, historians and the people from his era still believe he was the greatest. I would suspect that any historian could make a good case, picking and choosing, that Lincoln was our worst president and people would accept it, I wouldn't. I think the historians are right on, FDR, Lincoln, Washington.
Interring the Japanese was a small factor in the scale of WWII and the Depression. The Court ruled it legal and America apologized and paid a few bucks. Would we do the same today under similar circumstances, I think we might. Look how we treated the Japanese before Pearl, or how some see Muslims at this time, or even the McCarthy period. Fear is a great motivator.
As for the prolonging of the Great Depression, do you have any idea of why FDR stopped the New Deal? There were no manuals, no textbooks on how to stop depressions, and there are still none today. FDR experimented and at times he was right and at times he was wrong, but he was trying.

I would suspect that FDR has been studied, analyzed, dissected and investigated as much any US president including Lincoln. There is little not known about him, or those about him, and it is all in the record, I even know what high school Harold Ickes attended. Yet with all that his known of his successes and his failures, historians and the people from his era still believe he was the greatest. .

Can you defend the villian without resorting to logical fallacy? It doesn't seem you can.

Forum List

Back