Why cant we drop insurance on obesity?

anotherlife

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2012
Cross-Atlantic
Health insurance is inflated to the level of unaffordability and that is not new. But most people who cost that much for the insurance industry are the obesity people. There are always lists of illnesses and conditions that health insurance rejects. Why can't we put obesity on this list? It would reduce the cost of health care by minimum 75 % and then there wouldn't even be a need for all these government policies. So, why can't we make obesity a droppable condition for insurance?

Health insurance is inflated to the level of unaffordability and that is not new. But most people who cost that much for the insurance industry are the obesity people. There are always lists of illnesses and conditions that health insurance rejects. Why can't we put obesity on this list? It would reduce the cost of health care by minimum 75 % and then there wouldn't even be a need for all these government policies. So, why can't we make obesity a droppable condition for insurance?

There was a list of illnesses before ACA that were rejected or charged more premium for and obesity was one but most but not all would be charged as much as double premium's the other's were outright rejected. Height and weight charts were very much of the underwriting process before ACA.

Because Jerry Nadler would not vote for it.

There was a list of illnesses before ACA that were rejected or charged more premium for and obesity was one but most but not all would be charged as much as double premium's the other's were outright rejected. Height and weight charts were very much of the underwriting process before ACA.

Just an aside, I know nothing of this industry, but, a point that should be made as I've had a similar discussion with someone before (he said weight is just weight, it still carries the same risk). An issue I would have is with the height and weight charts is that they don't take into account muscle mass vs. fat. Muscle mass is far more dense, someone who seems overweight, from a sheer quantitative standpoint may be, but, there is a difference in health risks I would argue. Is that taken into consideration in such insurance assessments? Or is it a straight, standard chart measure?

Just an aside, I know nothing of this industry, but, a point that should be made as I've had a similar discussion with someone before (he said weight is just weight, it still carries the same risk). An issue I would have is with the height and weight charts is that they don't take into account muscle mass vs. fat. Muscle mass is far more dense, someone who seems overweight, from a sheer quantitative standpoint may be, but, there is a difference in health risks I would argue. Is that taken into consideration in such insurance assessments? Or is it a straight, standard chart measure?
You are correct. IMO Body Mass Index (BMI) is used as the guideline because it's easy and for the majority of people it is a good indicator of obesity. But weightlifters and football players e.g. often have a high BMI with low body fat. I don't know if health insurance makes exceptions for people in the high muscle mass low body fat category.

Better yet, completely and totally deregulate all insurance.

Then insurance companies will simply charge customers, based on their respective conditions.

It would be that simple. Insurance premiums would drop.

They've taxed and demonized cigarettes enough where people are smoking much less, plus you pay MORE for health insurance if you are a smoker. Why not for obesity?

One of my first applications many, many years ago was on a weight lifter the guy was all neck and being a fairly new at it I saw he was over the weight on the chart for his height 5'6" but thought nothing of it since he was solid muscle, well to make a long story short he was declined. Explained to me by the underwriter's whether fat or muscle it works on your organ's not in a good way. Now that was the company I represent I knew of a couple other's who were more lenient.

“Why cant we drop insurance on obesity?”

Because weight gain is often associated medical conditions having nothing to do with diet or lifestyle.

Because as we age one becomes more prone to weight gain having nothing to do with diet or lifestyle.

Because those suffering from obesity who have no health insurance will be forced to seek out medical care in emergency rooms, which is an ineffective form of medical treatment increasing the cost of medical care for hospitals and patients with insurance.

And because threatening those suffering from obesity with losing their health insurance in an effort to ‘compel’ them to lose weight is idiotic, wrongheaded, and devoid of merit.

Because weight gain is often associated medical conditions having nothing to do with diet or lifestyle.

Because as we age one becomes more prone to weight gain having nothing to do with diet or lifestyle.

Because those suffering from obesity who have no health insurance will be forced to seek out medical care in emergency rooms, which is an ineffective form of medical treatment increasing the cost of medical care for hospitals and patients with insurance.

And because threatening those suffering from obesity with losing their health insurance in an effort to ‘compel’ them to lose weight is idiotic, wrongheaded, and devoid of merit.

So you're saying it's OK to penalize people for smoking by taxing them and raising their insurance rates, but since you're a Fat Ass, that eats way too much and doesn't exercise obesity is off limits? Got it. I don't by the whole "obesity is caused by medical condition" crap.

I never smoked and I eat well and exercise, so have no axe to grind.

so we should all pay for the lazy fatasses???!!!!! that's stupid ....

.....obesity is a world health problem--a big problem...one of the reasons blacks are being hit hard by C19
...SOOOOOOOO!!---if less obesity--less of many OTHER health problems
  • type 2 diabetes
  • high blood pressure
  • heart disease and strokes
  • certain types of cancer
  • sleep apnea
  • osteoarthritis
  • fatty liver disease
  • kidney disease
  • pregnancy problems, such as high blood sugar during pregnancy, high blood pressure, and increased risk for cesarean delivery (C-section)

What would they do without a HC insurance?

Would you prefer they die?

So you're saying it's OK to penalize people for smoking by taxing them and raising their insurance rates, but since you're a Fat Ass, that eats way too much and doesn't exercise obesity is off limits? Got it. I don't by the whole "obesity is caused by medical condition" crap.

I never smoked and I eat well and exercise, so have no axe to grind.
I’m in great shape and do my best to stay that way but unlike you, I care about my fellow Americans. Being a heartless cocksucker is not a good look.

Prior to the ACA Obesity WAS a decline.

When Washington passed Bankruptcy reform. We were assured it would cut the rates of interest charged by credit card companies. Anyone seen that?

So your insane claim of a 75% reduction in rates is not going to get me.

Forum List

Back