Why Can't Poor People Afford Healthy Food?

Hard to figure why right wingers hate/resent the poor so intensely.
The first I recall was Reagan's lie about the welfare mom who picked up her welfare check in a Cadillac. More recently, the GOP politician saying, don't feed the poor, they'll breed.

The first I recall was Reagan's lie about the welfare mom who picked up her welfare check in a Cadillac. More recently, the GOP politician saying, don't feed the poor, they'll breed.

hard to figure why left wingers disrespect the poor so intensely...

believing them to be inherently unable to make their own choices...

Bag of flour, packet of yeast, pinch of salt, and some water....dirt cheap bread and a hell of a lot better tasting than store bought.

Brita water filter and tap water.

But you have to buy the bread maker, first - how much does that cost.

Do you know that it is cheaper to buy a jumbo bag of potato chips and a 2 litre bottle of coke than it is to buy a loaf of bread and a bottle of water?
nope....bread is 1.99 maybe and water is 1.00

coke is 1.25 and chips depending on size and bag 99.2.50+

Prices are different here, don't forget!

I paid 99 cents for a head of lettuce yesterday and water out of the tap (Which is safer than bottled water) is extremely cheap. Your post is ridiculous. Poor people can afford healthy food. They choose not to.

You must be fortunate to live in an area where the tap water is actually drinkable. I invite you to my place to drink the tap water. If you like it cloudy and full of grit, I am sure you it will be a real thirst quencher.

Have you ever considered getting your pipes checked and make sure they aren't rusting through or having your water provider coming and testing the water and complaining to them that the water quality is poor? I know if I have cloudy gritty water, I'd damn well complain to those I pay my water bill to.

Done that, water company said nothing is wrong. The water is okay now, it changes every once in a while, but it still tastes like shit. I only drink bottled water - there is an obvious difference in taste between our tap water and bottled water.

Actually fast food is more expensive than going to the grocery store and buying nutritious foods.
The fact is not only are poor people unhealthy, it is their laziness that contributes to their poor health.
Example...Why cook a decent meal when it's easier to trundle over to the closest fast food joint.

It depends on where you buy your fast food, and which store you buy your groceries from.

I could spend $10 on junk from a fast food joint, and if I went to a supermarket, I could buy a loaf of bread, a carton of milk, and a packet of rice for about the same price.

I agree with people being lazy and not wanting to cook - although I can understand that after working a long day, the last thing you want to do is come home and prepare a meal.

good food don't hafta be complicated or expensive...

don't take much time or money to cook up a mess 'a greens with a li'l bit of sausage...

it's the cornbread's what takes some time and effort...

but you could use plain sliced bread to sop up the pot likker...

and lotsa folks I knew back when I lived "downtown" would do just that...

and it was a damn good meal... easy to fix and cheap... and the young'uns loved it... and it was good fer ya...

People just don't like to cook anymore.

Can't figure out why. Anything that comes out of my kitchen tops junk food. And even if both parents work, there's crock pots where you put together the ingredients in the morning and you come home to a hot, home cooked meal from a slow cooker.

Like inner cities have grocery stores!

True. With the rampant theft, by customers and employees, it is impossible for a super- market to remain open in the inner city.

It depends on where you buy your fast food, and which store you buy your groceries from.

I could spend $10 on junk from a fast food joint, and if I went to a supermarket, I could buy a loaf of bread, a carton of milk, and a packet of rice for about the same price.

I agree with people being lazy and not wanting to cook - although I can understand that after working a long day, the last thing you want to do is come home and prepare a meal.

don't take much time or money to cook up a mess 'a greens with a li'l bit of sausage...

and it was a damn good meal... easy to fix and cheap... and the young'uns loved it... and it was good fer ya...

Can't figure out why. Anything that comes out of my kitchen tops junk food. And even if both parents work, there's crock pots where you put together the ingredients in the morning and you come home to a hot, home cooked meal from a slow cooker.

There is nothing I like better than a slow cooked meal in the crockpot...

Poh folks get tax dollars in the way of social bennies, like food stamps & cash. Why should they eat healthy food when they can afford potato chips & beer? i mean if these poh folks need medical assistance because of a poor diet... the medical is free through subsidization of tax monies.

If I was poh enough to afford it I'd be smokin' those big Cuban Havana's, drinking the cold ones & eating potato chips too! Wouldn't U???

People on food stamps can't buy beer. Unless, things have changed over the years. They can, however, sell the food stamps for cash less than the value of the food stamps sold and buy beer. Now, on the other hand, I'm not exactly sure how EBT cards work and I don't know how they would be able to sell a portion of it for cash. They'd have to sell the entire EBT card for cash.

Why don't these people not open up a store?
Why don't these people improve their own damn selves?

Why do you blame the successful for the poors failures.

I guess its hard to start a business when you have no money. Idiot.

back when I lived "downtown", the envied households were the ones with a granny in residence...

she'd watch over the li'l ones while mom (and pop too, if mom had the good sense to not hook up with a player) were off to work...

this time of year, the grannies would always have a pot of gumbo on the stove...

and the neighborhood was filled with the wonderful smell of all those gumbos cookin'...

Why don't these people not open up a store?
Why don't these people improve their own damn selves?

Why do you blame the successful for the poors failures.

I guess its hard to start a business when you have no money. Idiot.

it's also hard to start a store-front business when the local-government regulators shove a stick in the spokes of your bicycle...

eta: I saw several folks, who tried to run tiny neighborhood grocery stores out of their living rooms, being shut down due to local government regulations...

and the surrounding folks suffered 'cause they no longer had the nearby grocery...

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Vel
Bag of flour, packet of yeast, pinch of salt, and some water....dirt cheap bread and a hell of a lot better tasting than store bought.

nope....bread is 1.99 maybe and water is 1.00

coke is 1.25 and chips depending on size and bag 99.2.50+

Prices are different here, don't forget!

You must be fortunate to live in an area where the tap water is actually drinkable. I invite you to my place to drink the tap water. If you like it cloudy and full of grit, I am sure you it will be a real thirst quencher.

Have you ever considered getting your pipes checked and make sure they aren't rusting through or having your water provider coming and testing the water and complaining to them that the water quality is poor? I know if I have cloudy gritty water, I'd damn well complain to those I pay my water bill to.

Done that, water company said nothing is wrong. The water is okay now, it changes every once in a while, but it still tastes like shit. I only drink bottled water - there is an obvious difference in taste between our tap water and bottled water.

I feel your pain on the water issue. My water has so much iron in it. I've never seen white underwear turn orange before in the machine.:D We have to buy.

On items like the bread maker, do you have any access to an equivalent to our MCC?

This would be a place where you can buy gently used, working condition appliances among many other items.

I have a fabulous breadmaker by Regal I picked up a couple of years ago for $10.00. I prefer to make bread and buns by hand, but the machine is a quick fix when I don't have time.

Last edited:
meh... fuck this shit...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldsGyhh15Nw]Joe Cocker - Watchin' The River Flow (LIVE in San Francisco) HD - YouTube[/ame]

I can believe the welfare mom picking up her welfare check in a Cadillac. I was in a grocery store here some time back and the couple in front of me were a couple of Hispanics using WIC vouchers. They bought diapers, baby formula and all sorts of other children's products. When I was done and walked out to the parking lot to get in my car they were still loading up their truck with the items they had just bought. Their nearly brand new bright red 4X4 Dodge Ram pickup truck, that is.

back when I lived "downtown", the envied households were the ones with a granny in residence...

she'd watch over the li'l ones while mom (and pop too, if mom had the good sense to not hook up with a player) were off to work...

this time of year, the grannies would always have a pot of gumbo on the stove...

and the neighborhood was filled with the wonderful smell of all those gumbos cookin'...

Gumbo is a big favorite in this household. Especially with venison. I have a kick ass recipe for deer and andouille gumbo.

The deer are pretty gamey up here compared to down south and the gumbo really takes the gaminess flavor away.

Our grocery store just started stocking President's Choice andouille. I am one happy camper. I no longer have to use a syringe to try to replicate the flavor; though I got pretty good at it. :eusa_angel:

Curious. Why would you have to buy a bread maker? Have you ever seen one of these?

0003324620906_500X500.jpg

Ya' stick it in your oven to bake the bread, the way old-fashioned folks used to.

Forum List

Back