Why Can't I Find A Decent Sausage In The US?

View attachment 821702View attachment 821703

This is your typical afternoon meal in Germany. Bratwurst and Brochen with either mayo or mustard.

It just doesn't get any better.

No frills. No sugar.

But try as I might.....I can't find a brat like this in the United States.
Every one of them is packed full of chemicals, dyes, and salt.
They literally taste like crap.

Why are food manufacturers trying to poison is with all of this garbage?

Even Polish Kalbasa isn't as good as something I bought on the side of a street in Heilbronn FRG.

If you lived in Texas you wouldnt have a problem finding a good sausage.
We have a shitload of German immigrants and they brought their sausage making skills with them.
Especially in the Texas Hill Country.
Fredericksburg is full of German restaurants.
1693264624001.png

Plenty of good bratwurst in America.

Dietz & Watson Legacy Natural Casing Bratwurst

Pork, Water, Salt, Spices, Onion Powder, Spice Extract, Natural Sheep Casing.

Boar's Head Deli Bratwurst Natural Casing Cooked

Pork, Veal, Water, Salt, Fresh Onions, Spices, Dextrose.

I can't speak to bratwurst but Silva has been making absolutely fabulous Linguica without all of that extra stuff for years. Specs-Linguica | Silva 2021

I'd kill for a good uncured kielbasa! There's a sausage maker in Seattle that does an incredible kielbasa, but alas, not available in the Midwest! I've look all over for a Polish sausage maker here but none are to be found. Tons of Germans and Scandinavians, and no Poles.

When I was in Prague last year

View attachment 821814

Any idea how they eat their sausages? On a bun? On a plate? With condiments? One article here suggests a hint of garlic with cumin (yum) while the other suggests garlic with caraway seeds!

Any idea how they eat their sausages? On a bun? On a plate? With condiments? One article here suggests a hint of garlic with cumin (yum) while the other suggests garlic with caraway seeds!

I ate it just plain.

Thank you!

I eat this kielbasa all the time. ^^^ It's a pretty good second next to that made by Uli's in Seattle. If you're near Seattle and can shop at PCC, they carry Uli's Kielbasa. Worth going out of your way.

Last edited:

I love most sausages, especially that kielbasa, right next to a pile of homemade sauerkraut.

View attachment 821702View attachment 821703

This is your typical afternoon meal in Germany. Bratwurst and Brochen with either mayo or mustard.

It just doesn't get any better.

No frills. No sugar.

But try as I might.....I can't find a brat like this in the United States.
Every one of them is packed full of chemicals, dyes, and salt.
They literally taste like crap.

Why are food manufacturers trying to poison is with all of this garbage?

Even Polish Kalbasa isn't as good as something I bought on the side of a street in Heilbronn FRG.

If you can't find what you are looking for at a store then make your own.

It is not hard. Just buy a meat grinder (not expensive) and get the recipe for the kind of meat and spices. Plenty of info on how to do it on the Internet,

If you can't find what you are looking for at a store then make your own.

It is not hard. Just buy a meat grinder (not expensive) and get the recipe for the kind of meat and spices. Plenty of info on how to do it on the Internet,

I'm getting close to trying this. I bought the Complete Idiot's Guide To Sausage Making and they have many, many sausage recipes.

I've got an old manual stainless steel grinder with stuffer attachments, but it's really hard to stuff sausage with only one pair of hands.

I'm getting close to trying this. I bought the Complete Idiot's Guide To Sausage Making and they have many, many sausage recipes.

I've got an old manual stainless steel grinder with stuffer attachments, but it's really hard to stuff sausage with only one pair of hands.

Why not get an electric grinder? You can get a good one for about $70. Then you can free up one hand.

I have a grinder but I have never made sausage. However, I do hamburger. Fresh grind hamburger is much better than what you can get at most grocery stores or even butcher shops.

Why not get an electric grinder? You can get a good one for about $70. Then you can free up one hand.

I have a grinder but I have never made sausage. However, I do hamburger. Fresh grind hamburger is much better than what you can get at most grocery stores or even butcher shops.

Have thought about it. I don't know when I'll get off my ass and do it! LOL!

I've found a nearby outlet for super clean, well raised pork. That might be an inspiration.

Forum List

Back