Why aren't Presidents Required to Serve in the Military to be President?

Phillipine Insurrection

Which was an interesting war, since we had promised the native independence if they helped us against the Spanish, but then we reneged and turned them into a colony where were massacred and tortured.

The Spanish American war was fought under McKinley dumbass

I did not say Teddy was president during the Spanish American war, but that he was overwhelmingly involved an the criminal venture.
The whole "Remember the Maine" lie if you remember.
Rough Riders and all that.

I did not say Teddy was president during the Spanish American war, but that he was overwhelmingly involved an the criminal venture.
The whole "Remember the Maine" lie if you remember.
Rough Riders and all that.
You’re whole premise was that Presidents who had formerly served in the military started bad wars. Is there some other location You would like to move the goalposts before we continue this discussion?

That started in 1899 before he became President. It was a war he inherited.

The official Philippine Insurrection was in 1911.
{...

Philippine Insurrection 1910-1912​

Return to the Philippines

2 Comments / Philippine Insurrection 1910-1912 / By Webmaster / June 10, 2008
From: ONE HUNDRED YEARS WITH THE SECOND CAVALRY By Joseph I. Lambert, Major, Second Cavalry Copyright 1939 Commanding Officer, Second Cavalry, Fort Riley, Kansas Capper Printing Company, Inc. In the year 1909, the regiment continued on similar duty. The regimental schools at this time included: (a) School for enlisted men, (b) troop schools for noncommissioned …
...}

You’re whole premise was that Presidents who had formerly served in the military started bad wars. Is there some other location You would like to move the goalposts before we continue this discussion?

This is exactly what I said:

{...
And as great as they may have been, they were all associated with bad wars that likely could have been avoided.
...}

Associated with does not mean starting.

Because the constitution specifically establishes the office of President as a civilian one, and establishes the top military leadership, such as the Secretary of Defense, as civilians. This is to ensure that the people, through elected officials, controls the military. Countries which are controlled by the military tend to by authoritarian dictatorships

Where is that in the Constitution?

Washington didn’t fight a war as President.

I don’t think Lincoln’s military service lead to the civil war. Was there some diplomatic way we didn’t utilize to get the south to free their slaves? Did Lincoln just not ask nicely enough?

Which war did the US fight during Teddy Roosevelt’s term in office?

And we’ve covered WW2 so…

Whiskey Rebellion.

We lied in order to fight the fake "War on Terrorism".
We murder half a million over fake claims of Iraqi WMD.
The US soldiers who died were the result of murder by those who lied.

Since we ratified the UN charter in 1945, it became US law and made war illegal unless in defense from an immediate attack, or in response to a call to arms by a UN vote.
That is incontrovertible.
We didn't murder anyone. Why do you lie?

Yes we were.
First of all we had illegally limited Japan's military size, forced all of the trade partners of Japan into bad deals, and then we cut off Japan from the iron, oil, coal, and food it needed.
As for December 7, 1941, it was the US that fired the first shots.
The USN Ward Destroyer sank a Japanese minisub early in the morning, many hours before the Japanese attack.
That means the claim it was a "sneak attack" was a lie.
We had decoded all the messages and knew exactly when and where, and deliberately allowed the attack to take place.
Wrong.

There was nothing illegal about limiting their military size and cutting them off from resources was not violent but it was justified,

That minisub was there to attack.

We had NOT decoded all of the messages, We never broke all of their codes and we did not know exactly when and where the attac was coming that is all conspieracy theory and disproven.

You are lying to support your premise.

We lied in order to fight the fake "War on Terrorism".
We murder half a million over fake claims of Iraqi WMD.
The US soldiers who died were the result of murder by those who lied.

Since we ratified the UN charter in 1945, it became US law and made war illegal unless in defense from an immediate attack, or in response to a call to arms by a UN vote.
That is incontrovertible.
It is in fact controvertible. It is not US law superceding our constitution and right to wage war whenever and where ever we see fit.

In my opinion it should be illegal. Don't get why it isn't. Granted, all these life time loser politicians would probably find a way around it anyway.
I get how that works.The Israeli model.Which is probably best.
But Israel is small.No 50 + states to fret over.No mass of different
cultures and Religions.
Biden is the 2nd only Catholic POTUS.
So that explains a lot.Obvioulsy Catholics are not welcome as
POTUS.J.F.K. was universally accepted as an Outlier.Different than
most any American.Due arguably to his great examples of leadership
and courage in - Profiles in Courage - { 1955 } Pulitzer Prize account
of his WWII service.As a PT boat Skipper and Lieutenant.Who simultaneously
suffered with Addisons Disease.

Lincoln fought in the awful Blackhawk war, were we violated treaties and murdered thousands.

Lincoln likely did not fight the Civil War over slavery.
Likely it was in order to stop southern trade with England.
Lincoln wanted to ship all the Blacks back to Africa, so he did not care about them at all.

Teddy Roosevelt was famous for the Spanish American War, which was totally based on lies and murder.
Lincoln had a decades long reputation of abolition. Read the Lincoln/Douglas debates

His anti-slavery position was so strong that the South chose to secede rather than have Lincoln as President

Lincoln had a decades long reputation of abolition. Read the Lincoln/Douglas debates

His anti-slavery position was so strong that the South chose to secede rather than have Lincoln as President
He's moved the goalposts so many times Im not sure even he knows where they are at this point.

Whiskey Rebellion.
Oh yeah. Thank you, I forgot about that one.

Though I don't think Washington's military experience lead to that rebellion or how the Federal Government reacted to it. If I remember correctly Washington was initially opposed to the Whiskey tax when Hamilton suggested it as a way to pay off the debt incurred by the Revolutionary War.

The official Philippine Insurrection was in 1911.
{...

Philippine Insurrection 1910-1912​

Return to the Philippines

2 Comments / Philippine Insurrection 1910-1912 / By Webmaster / June 10, 2008
From: ONE HUNDRED YEARS WITH THE SECOND CAVALRY By Joseph I. Lambert, Major, Second Cavalry Copyright 1939 Commanding Officer, Second Cavalry, Fort Riley, Kansas Capper Printing Company, Inc. In the year 1909, the regiment continued on similar duty. The regimental schools at this time included: (a) School for enlisted men, (b) troop schools for noncommissioned …
...}
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine–American_War

Teddy Roosevelt’s Presidency 1901-1909. Either date/conflict you’d like to use doesnt coincide with his term.

I get how that works.The Israeli model.Which is probably best.
But Israel is small.No 50 + states to fret over.No mass of different
cultures and Religions.
Biden is the 2nd only Catholic POTUS.
So that explains a lot.Obvioulsy Catholics are not welcome as
POTUS.J.F.K. was universally accepted as an Outlier.Different than
most any American.Due arguably to his great examples of leadership
and courage in - Profiles in Courage - { 1955 } Pulitzer Prize account
of his WWII service.As a PT boat Skipper and Lieutenant.Who simultaneously
suffered with Addisons Disease.

Bad news fool! That is not was 'Profiles in Courage" is about. You should try reading it sometime! If I recall correctly, I read it in about the 5th grade.

Profiles in Courage is a 1956 volume of short biographies describing acts of bravery and integrity by eight United States Senators.

because in the united states the military is civilian controlled…helps keep the type of coups we see happening in south east asia, south america, and africa from happening

Here we just had a totally different type of Coup
But a Coup is still a Coup

Forum List

Back