Why are we not boycotting the Beijing Olympics?

Millions of helpless elderly people dead in nursing homes on one side and huge corporations on the other. Is that why we are not boycotting the Olympics?
The best way to boycott the Olympics is dont tune in and watch it on TV

Hopefully NBC will lose a lot of money and the advertisers will be pissed

I know that only hurts china indirectly and NBC more

But I see very little difference between the two anyway

Millions of helpless elderly people dead in nursing homes on one side and huge corporations on the other. Is that why we are not boycotting the Olympics?

Makes no sense at all to blame China for doing what the CDC and WHO paid them to do?
So they probably made a mistake and let covid out of their lab.
It is not like that was intentional, and we all knew the risks.

Because Democrats always have been and still are the party of slavery. Chinese slavery does not bother them one bit.

Also, Beijing Joe is OWNED by the Chinese Communists.

Democrats have always been the enemy of Liberty.

Because Democrats always have been and still are the party of slavery. Chinese slavery does not bother them one bit.

Also, Beijing Joe is OWNED by the Chinese Communists.

Democrats have always been the enemy of Liberty.

The US owns China.
China is poor, we are wealthy.
They desperately want to sell us stuff, in order to make money.
They sold us the lab use in Wuhan, but it was we who selected the enhanced gain of function research.

IF history is a teacher...what did the US achieve by boycotting the 1980 Olympics except to deprive some athletes of their moment in the sun and probably their livelihood going forward.

Gotta get those favored athletes out of the way to make way for the all chinese podium.

I have not watched one second of the Beijing Winter Olympics and neither should you. Figure skaters and snowboarders trying to cash in on fame and fortune are no reason to support a country that attacked the world with a pandemic.

I have not watched one second of the Beijing Winter Olympics and neither should you. Figure skaters and snowboarders trying to cash in on fame and fortune are no reason to support a country that attacked the world with a pandemic.

I am watching it right now. You are missing some good stuff.

What reasons are there to boycott the Olympics?

The US invaded Iraq, Afghanistan, bombs Libya, Syria, Yemen, Pakistan.... and China... oh, China has some woman who said her former lover was a dick and then got into trouble for it before saying she was wrong, and some Muslims (yeah, you read that right) are being locked up (think Guantanamo Bay) and the US is getting all sanctimonious about it all.
You mean like besides the genocide?

IF history is a teacher...what did the US achieve by boycotting the 1980 Olympics except to deprive some athletes of their moment in the sun and probably their livelihood going forward.
If the only the US did it, it would mainly be symbolic for sure. If a decent number of European and other countries joined us then it would certainly make China feel it.

An Olympic boycott alone doesn't accomplish much, but then again, it took multiple boycotts and actions to cause South Africa's apartheid government to fall. Does that mean we should have just continued business as usual with them during the 80s? We did that at first, admittedly.

I know an Olympic boycott isn't exactly the same as the boycotts that were done against South Africa, but it still begs the question of what actually is tolerable by an authoritarian regime vs. what isn't.

I think the main issue isn't really moral for the powers that be. It's just the simple fact that a country like South Africa was weak enough for us to influence, whereas the USSR and China were/are too powerful for us to push around without a lot of international help.

Doesn't.

Let's see.

November 16, 2021

"Biden says Taiwan's independence is up to Taiwan after discussing matter with Xi"

22 October 2021

"Biden says US will defend Taiwan if China attacks"

February 5, 2021

"Biden Doubles Down on Trump's Taiwan Policy, but Will It Last?"

"However, the Biden administration thus far has embraced the Trump decision to upgrade Washington's unofficial partnership with Taipei. "

"Biden sends unofficial delegation to Taiwan in ‘personal signal’"

April 14, 2021

"Former U.S. Senator Chris Dodd and former Deputy Secretaries of State Richard Armitage and James Steinberg headed to Taiwan on Tuesday at President Joe Biden’s request, in what a White House official called a “personal signal” of the president’s commitment to the Chinese-claimed island and its democracy."

"Taiwan-Biden ties off to strong start with invite for top diplomat"

JANUARY 21, 2021

"Taiwan’s ties with its most important global backer the United States are off to a strong start under President Joe Biden’s government, after the island’s de facto ambassador attended an inauguration for the first time with an official invitation."

I'm getting pro-Taiwan sentiment from Biden almost every month of his presidency. We've got January, February, April, October, November here and I didn't even search based on date.
Remember when Biden said that no American will be left behind in Afghanistan?
Talk is cheap with Brandon.

An Olympic boycott alone doesn't accomplish much, but then again, it took multiple boycotts and actions to cause South Africa's apartheid government to fall. Does that mean we should have just continued business as usual with them during the 80s? We did that at first, admittedly.

I know an Olympic boycott isn't exactly the same as the boycotts that were done against South Africa, but it still begs the question of what actually is tolerable by an authoritarian regime vs. what isn't.

I think the main issue isn't really moral for the powers that be. It's just the simple fact that a country like South Africa was weak enough for us to influence, whereas the USSR and China were/are too powerful for us to push around without a lot of international help.

No argument from me on that. It would be symbolic and it would be the "right" thing to do for many reasons.

The only counter argument I'd make is that when you compare the nations of South Africa and Communist China, I don't think you're comparing apples to apples in terms of their economy, military, or "dogma" for lack of a better term. Revolution in China, if it happens, will happen from within.

That is the plight of the superpowers. In my view, China has studied the USSR as well as the USA and is trying to steer the middle course between the two extremes. They saw the USSR topple because people over there could see how the rest of the world lived and decided waiting 2 hours for bread isn't a winner. They look at us and see the division being sewn by the right in the guise of "freedom" and are clamping down on their own people.

The pandemic was the fault of the US paying the Chinese to do enhancement of function research.
It was not the idea of the Chinese.
They did not want to do the research, but needed the money.

Forum List

Back