Why are there so many unresolved political murders in Ukraine since 2014?

Dissident

VIP Member
Jan 21, 2020

I believe that the problem of unresolved political murders, which were committed in Ukraine since the beginning of 2014, requires serious consideration.

According to my estimates, there have been more than 180 such unresolved murders in that period - please see the list of murdered persons below under a line.
And this number is too great for Ukraine, whose population (without Crimea and parts of Donbas) was 41-43 million in that period.

I am sure that this problem cannot be considered an internal Ukrainian problem, because in majority of the cases the official representatives of Ukraine - including top officials of the Ukrainian state - declared that Russia was involved in these crimes.

And I would like to offer you my answer to the question of this article - i. e., to the question “Why are there so many unresolved political murders in Ukraine since 2014?”.

I believe that after new Ukrainian rulers had seized power at the beginning of 2014, they covered up crimes, which were committed by nationalists. e.g. in order to terrify the people, many of whom did not support these new rulers.
There can also be some politicians in Ukraine, who violently eliminate their rivals within the present ruling class itself, and Ukrainian police covers up such crimes too.

Explanations to the subject - What kind of cases are included in the list below.

Political murders are, in my opinion, murders which are related to political events or murders of political figures – figures at least on the level of cities or regions (oblasts) – or murders of journalists.
The list includes murders which were committed on the territory being under control of the Kiev government.
I have included in this list the cases whose investigation has already been lasting for more than 5 years and, therefore it is doubtful that culprits of these murders will ever be found.

I haven’t included into this list the cases which had been at least partially resolved. For example, killer of Denis Voronenkov, ex-member of the Russian Parliament, who was shot dead in March 2017 in Kiev, was shot dead on that day too. And at the end of 2021, an accomplice of this killer was sentenced to 12 years in prison (see here).
However, Ukrainian mass media say that the person, who had hired this killer, has not been identified.

This list also does not include deaths which the Ukraine police considers to be suicides, deaths from natural causes etc.

-------------------------------------------

First of all, the list of unresolved political murders in Ukraine must include deaths of 103 persons who belong to the so-called Heaven's Hundred, i.e. perished protesters of Euromaidan.
All members of the Heaven's Hundred were posthumously awarded the Hero of Ukraine title or the title Knight of the Order of the Heaven's Hundred Heroes by Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko. Therefore, their names can be found on the Ukrainian President’s official website.

No. 1-98. On November 21, 2014 Poroshenko awarded the Hero of Ukraine title to 99 persons (see here). Since No. 49 in that list - Mazurenko Pavlo - had been killed in December 2013, I haven’t included him into my count.

No. 99-101. On November 27, 2014 the title Knight of the Order of the Heaven's Hundred Heroes was posthumously awarded to Zhyznevskyi Mykhailo, Kipiani Davyd and Khurtsiia Zurab (see here).

No. 102. On February 20, 2015 the Hero of Ukraine title was posthumously awarded to Badera Oleksandr (see here).

No. 103. On February 16, 2018 the title Knight of the Order of the Heaven's Hundred Heroes was posthumously awarded to Bilchuk Taras (see here).

It's essential to note that President Poroshenko in 2015 publicly declared that there allegedly was evidence that Vladislav Surkov, a counsellor to the Russian President, had headed the organization of groups of foreign snipers on Maidan (see here) who killed most of above-mentioned persons.

After the new Ukrainian rulers had come to power in February 2014, they promised to solve every above-mentioned death but - as far as I know - in no one of these cases no one single culprit of these murders was found. Although - as the new Ukrainian rulers say - such murders were committed not only in the capital Kiev, but in other Ukrainian regions too, e.g. in Khmelnytskyi Oblast and Cherkasy Oblast.

No. 104-121. The list of unresolved political murders in Ukraine must also include 18 policemen who were shot dead during Euromaidan (see here).

As in the case of the deaths of protesters, the post-Maidan Ukrainian rulers accused Russia of murders of the policemen too - please see an allegation of Andriy Parubiy, the former Chairman of the Ukrainian Parliament.
However, there are no results of investigation of these policemen's deaths too, although the policemen were murdered not only in the capital Kiev, but in other Ukrainian regions too, e.g. in Kherson Oblast and Lviv Oblast.

At that, it is significant to note there is a version too that both the policemen and the protesters were shot from the side where Maidanists had their strongholds.

No. 122. The list of unresolved political murders must include the death of Volodymyr Zakharov, a programmer of Party of Regions office who died on February 18, 2014 when this office was set on the fire by Maidanists.

No. 123. In February 2014, before the “victory of Maidan”, the judge Oleksandr Lobodenko was shot dead in Kremenchuk in the Poltava Oblast.
The website fakty.ua informed that the last summary offences, with which the judge Lobodenko had dealt, had been home arrests of two Maidanists, who had taken part in seizure of the Executive Committee of Kremenchuk (see here).
Therefore, it’s no wonder that after the Maidanists had come to power, they have not resolved this murder for eight years.

No. 124-125. On March 14, 2014 two anti-Maidanists were shot dead in Kharkiv during clashes with Maidanists; but no single Maidanist was killed on that day.

No. 126-173. On May 2, 2014, 48 persons were killed during clashes between anti-Maidanists and Maidanists in Odesa - 42 of them died in a fire in the Trade Unions House. At the beginning of 2015, V. Yahun, the Deputy Chairman of the Security Service of Ukraine declared that Russian special services allegedly were involved in this fire (see here). But there is no one single court decision about these 48 deaths to date.

No. 174. In June 2014, journalist Volodymyr Martsishevsky was beaten to death in Kiev.

No. 175. In July 2014, Oleh Babaiev, Mayor of Kremenchuk was shot dead.

No. 176. In March 2015, Olga Moroz, editor-in-chief of the newspaper Netishynsky Herald (Khmelnytskyi Oblast) was murdered in her house.

No. 177-178. In April 2015 Oleg Kalashnikov, a former member of the Ukrainian parliament was shot dead in Kiev shortly after his name and his home address had been published by the website Myrotvorets which publishes information about “enemies of Ukraine” (see here). One day after Oleg Kalashnikov’s assassination the opposition journalist and writer Oles Buzina was shot dead – Oles Buzina’s name and home address had been published by the website Myrotvorets some days before his death too (see here).

No. 179-182. In August 2015, during a mass meeting of nationalists at the Ukrainian parliament a hand grenade was thrown onto policemen - 4 of them were killed.

No. 183. In March 2016 the lawyer Iurii Grabovskii defended in court a Russian citizen A. Aleksandrov who was accused of terrorism in Ukraine. Grabovskii was abducted and then a video was posted in Internet in which Grabovskii refused to defend Aleksandrov; after that Grabovskii was shot dead and his body was buried.

No. 184. In July 2016, journalist Pavel Sheremet was murdered in a car explosion in Kiev.

No. 185. In September 2017, Mikhailo Binusov, member of Cherkasy City Council was shot dead.

Source

Last edited:

Forum List

Back