Why are so many Supreme Court Justices from New York?

do you think someone who went to the university of idaho would be as equipped for the job as someone from an ivy league?

not that ivy league is a guarantee of intellect. justice thomas was ivy.

well, in view of how the "ivy league" has fucked up America I'd say let's give Idaho a chance.. actually..

perhaps if the rightwingnut part of the supreme court hadn't found that corporations are people, you'd have had that change.

now you can forget it.

and honestly, i prefer my political leaders to be smart. i don't put much stock in pretend populism.

you betcha.

you pick em so smart they take the best country in the world and fuck it to hell and back,, that's what you call smart? us dummies in middle America don't think you are so damn smart. you are just pissed now that anyone can make money in nefarious ways,, not just obamatrons..

You couldn't pay me enough to go to NYC.

1. There's a reason we were the number one tourist destination in the country during 2009.

2. Thanks for not bringing down our property values. :thup:

yeah people would rather see all that concrete instead of real beauty. Shows how fucked up our aesthetic sensibilities as a people are.

and world class museums...

and broadway...

and carnegie hall...

and amazing restaurants....

NY is beautiful.

Anyone who can't appreciate beauty in different types of things is either lying or ignorant.

you pick em so smart they take the best country in the world and fuck it to hell and back,, that's what you call smart? us dummies in middle America don't think you are so damn smart. you are just pissed now that anyone can make money in nefarious ways,, not just obamatrons..

see, this is where you're meshugganah.

the PRIOR eight years is what messed up the country.

and i can't help it if you're such a wingnut you can't see that. more jobs created this month than any month in the last four years...

economy recoving from it's eight year long rape...

court getting judges who actually understand the constitution again...

the party of the rabid religious right stewing in anger...

i'm okay with it. :thup:

of course, he still hasn't shut gitmo yet...

and we're still bleeding money and lives in iraq...

but that will change.

Last edited:
1. There's a reason we were the number one tourist destination in the country during 2009.

yeah people would rather see all that concrete instead of real beauty. Shows how fucked up our aesthetic sensibilities as a people are.

and broadway...

and carnegie hall...

NY is beautiful.

Anyone who can't appreciate beauty in different types of things is either lying or ignorant.

You forgot to mention Central Park...one of the most beautiful parks in the country

and broadway...

and carnegie hall...

NY is beautiful.

You forgot to mention Central Park...one of the most beautiful parks in the country

i forgot about that. prospect park is a little known gem, too... well, little known to people outside of ny.

and a carriage ride through central park is a true pleasure.

Will the Supreme Court really reflect America? - The Week

If Elena Kagan is confirmed to the Supreme Court, four of the nine justices will have grown up in New York — Kagan in Manhattan; Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Brooklyn; Sonia Sotomayor, the Bronx; and Antonin Scalia, Queens. The court would also be entirely Ivy League–educated, and consist of three Jews and six Catholics. Can such a court represent the rest of America?

Now all we need is a Justice from Staten Island
They all graduated from either Harvard or Yale. And they all come from the NE corridor.

Will the Supreme Court really reflect America? - The Week

If Elena Kagan is confirmed to the Supreme Court, four of the nine justices will have grown up in New York — Kagan in Manhattan; Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Brooklyn; Sonia Sotomayor, the Bronx; and Antonin Scalia, Queens. The court would also be entirely Ivy League–educated, and consist of three Jews and six Catholics. Can such a court represent the rest of America?

Now all we need is a Justice from Staten Island
More trivia - 22, exactly half of our presidents have come from either Harvard, Yale, or Princeton.

Cause people from NY are open minded and have experienced all cultures that the US has to offer, as NY is the biggest melting pot their can be

Wow.. you obvisouly have never lived in NY. What a douche.

Soggy, please knock off the geo-hatred. You make the cool cats in Neaux Owlllleans appear less cool. That'd be just awful.

You can go on ragging on New Jersey if you must. But that's it!

*Winks*

Last edited:
Cause people from NY are open minded and have experienced all cultures that the US has to offer, as NY is the biggest melting pot their can be

And they are supposed to be ruling on the law which has absolutely nothing to do with any of that.

Funny. I heard the addict Limbaugh fomenting some class division on his "show" today with the same argument. Ivy League schools are feared and mistrusted by the vast unwashed Conservative gang.

Harvard is a convenient whipping boy for the Right. Anything to divide first, then conquer later.

I hold a degree from The Ohio State University. As a Liberal, does that make Big Ten schools points of suspicion for the Right too?

Ivy league feared? No. Overrated? Easily.

do you think someone who went to the university of idaho would be as equipped for the job as someone from an ivy league?

well, in view of how the "ivy league" has fucked up America I'd say let's give Idaho a chance.. actually..

perhaps if the rightwingnut part of the supreme court hadn't found that corporations are people, you'd have had that change.

now you can forget it.

and honestly, i prefer my political leaders to be smart. i don't put much stock in pretend populism.

you betcha.

I don't put much stock in sophistry.

and broadway...

and carnegie hall...

NY is beautiful.

i forgot about that. prospect park is a little known gem, too... well, little known to people outside of ny.

and a carriage ride through central park is a true pleasure.

As much as I love Central Park, being a child of Brooklyn, I've esentially lived in Prosepect Park for my entire life. In all the places I've lived in Brooklyn, I've never lived more than a 15 minute walk to Prospect Park.

The men who designed Prospect Park, and Central Park as well (and the Boston Common, and countless other parks around New England and the northeast) - were Fredrick Law Olmstead and Calvert Vaux. They both considered Prospect Park to be their masterpiece.

I agree with them.

and broadway...

and carnegie hall...

NY is beautiful.

Tell me what's the fascination with museums?

You get to stand in line and walk past a bunch of stuff you can't touch. You can get the same experience looking a a video on a hi def TV.

There are great places to eat all over the place. My favorite is my own kitchen. I can buy a cookbook from just about any famous chef and have the same meal that you pay an arm and a leg for in NY for less than a quarter of the cost

And I can hear anything that plays in a concert hall on my audio system.

And one does not have to be surrounded by concrete and exhaust fumes and filth to appreciate anything you just mentioned.

and broadway...

and carnegie hall...

NY is beautiful.

You want to see a beautiful park?

Try Glacier, Yellowstone or Yosemite

Easily. Why wouldn't they? It's not like the Ivy league has given us spectacular Justices in the past 50 years.

They haven't given us very much anything spectacular.... Kerry, Bush, Obama.... once dunce after another.
Yeah....when will the University of Idaho get a[nother] chance??!!!!

BATSHIT+CRAZY.jpg

528.gif

and broadway...

and carnegie hall...

NY is beautiful.

why would one type of beauty preclude appreciating another type of beauty? it's not like one will be insulted if you appreciate the other.

seems kind of narrow-minded. at least i know i could have a good time anywhere i go.

why would one type of beauty preclude appreciating another type of beauty? it's not like one will be insulted if you appreciate the other.

seems kind of narrow-minded. at least i know i could have a good time anywhere i go.

I don't call being cheek to jowl with millions of people and breathing exhaust fumes all while paying way too much for everything a good time.

And I said all those things that you say are so great about NY can be appreciated anywhere. What makes the experience any more valid just because one is actually in NY city?

At one time when there was no other way but to go to NYC to see and hear the things you mention, your point would be valid. But not anymore.

You couldn't pay me enough to go to NYC.

And here I thought that old saying about beauty in the eye of the beholder was true. I love New York! I have a dear friend in Brooklyn and hers is my second family. I dig Coney Island as much as the Museum of Modern Art. I love the L&B Spumoni Garden as much as I loved Tavern on the Green.

And, in the words of Frank Costanza, "There are no mosquitoes in Manhattan."

And here I thought that old saying about beauty in the eye of the beholder was true. I love New York! I have a dear friend in Brooklyn and hers is my second family. I dig Coney Island as much as the Museum of Modern Art. I love the L&B Spumoni Garden as much as I loved Tavern on the Green.

Maybe because NY is full of bloodless zombies.

Maybe because NY is full of bloodless zombies.
Well, there's a dearth of hillbillies there. I don't know what the mosquito's preferred diet is, do you?

I live in northern Appalachia and I enjoy washing the ignorance from my skin in a Manhattan concert hall or museum on occasion.

Forum List

Back