Why a federal minimum wage law?

There are libertarians and/or credible economists that continue arguing the justification of a minimum wage rate. Currently, all of the world's industrial nations have government laws similar to our federal minimum wage rate, or some quasi-government organization that enforce something to accomplish our rate's purpose.

If the federal minimum wage rate statutes were eliminated, What are likely to be USA states net detrimental deliberate or unintentional harm to other states' economies? Particularly the consequences between neighboring states? The Constitutional Convention of 1787 addressed this issue and included the commerce clause within our constitution.

Currently, each state's government may, and many do expand upon the coverage and/or the amount of the federal minimum wage rate.

I'm a proponent of gradually increasing of the federal minimum wage rate to 125% of its Feb-1968 purchasing power, and then continuing to retain that purchasing power; that's of a little greater targeted purchasing power than that of H.R. 582, but I'm pleased with that last passed House resolution. It will be to Democrats' advantages in 2020.

Respectfully, Supposn

In 1968, the minimum wage was $1.60 an hour. Adjusted for inflation, to just equal that same minimum wage today, you'd have to earn $11.78 an hour! So the sad truth is that as much as I don't care for the minimum wage on principle, the fact that many today are working for as little as $8 something an hour just goes to show how much workers are getting shafted. A great many people today aren't even making the $12/hr it would take just to break even with the minimum wage of yesteryear!

So the problem isn't talk of a $15.00 minimum wage though I think $12 is more in line, it is that over the years, companies have quietly maximized profits for themselves by underpaying their employees to the tune that a $15 or even a $12 minimum wage now would cause two things:
  1. For companies to drastically cut their own profit margins for themselves.
  2. For the consumer to pay a considerably higher retail price.
Of course, if everyone was actually making $12 an hour or MORE, adjusted accordingly, we could all AFFORD IT.
Underpaying? Does having to give to their SS, Medicare, IRA, insurance, and other perks not count in for the employees pay? Okay give the employee 15 an hour, make them pay for all their own retirements and healthcare. And no welfare, since everyone is making over 30 thousand a year.

They were doing all of that in 1968. Problem is that over the years, companies have resorted to cheap foreign labor and artificially held prices down to be competitive. Truth is that things cost a lot more. We've been living in the Chinese Bubble. Minimum wage needs to be $12 (no one at minimum wage gets IRAs, retirement or fully paid healthcare) and service costs adjusted accordingly so that both worker and employer can both make a decent living.

Minimum wage needs to be $12

How many people currently make less than $12?

Looks like best guess is that about 40% of the people working in this country make $12 an hour or less. So nearly 4 in every 10 are making BELOW the federal minimum wage as it stood in 1968. Which means that those making more back then were living well. There is your decline of the Middle Class. In my state, you can earn as little as $7.25 which is a loss of about FORTY PERCENT below the minimum wage workers once made! And all pay is calculated accordingly. The lower the minimum wage the less they can justify paying everyone else.

After all, what do they tell you: We are offering $10.25 an hour which is $3 above minimum wage!

Short story: American workers are TAKING A BATH. We work for less, work harder, get less benefits and vacation compared to our European counterparts who on average get six weeks vacation their first year. And if you work up here in the North East compared to the South, they expect you to work even harder.

Now you know why the days of your father working and he'd be damned if his wife was going to work are gone to now where nearly every couple both members must hold down jobs just to break even.

So you want people who make $11 dollars today to make minimum wage?

Lol what will they tell their friends????

" I worked for the same company for 8 years and I make minimum wage"

In 1968, the minimum wage was $1.60 an hour. Adjusted for inflation, to just equal that same minimum wage today, you'd have to earn $11.78 an hour! So the sad truth is that as much as I don't care for the minimum wage on principle, the fact that many today are working for as little as $8 something an hour just goes to show how much workers are getting shafted. A great many people today aren't even making the $12/hr it would take just to break even with the minimum wage of yesteryear!

So the problem isn't talk of a $15.00 minimum wage though I think $12 is more in line, it is that over the years, companies have quietly maximized profits for themselves by underpaying their employees to the tune that a $15 or even a $12 minimum wage now would cause two things:
  1. For companies to drastically cut their own profit margins for themselves.
  2. For the consumer to pay a considerably higher retail price.
Of course, if everyone was actually making $12 an hour or MORE, adjusted accordingly, we could all AFFORD IT.
Underpaying? Does having to give to their SS, Medicare, IRA, insurance, and other perks not count in for the employees pay? Okay give the employee 15 an hour, make them pay for all their own retirements and healthcare. And no welfare, since everyone is making over 30 thousand a year.

They were doing all of that in 1968. Problem is that over the years, companies have resorted to cheap foreign labor and artificially held prices down to be competitive. Truth is that things cost a lot more. We've been living in the Chinese Bubble. Minimum wage needs to be $12 (no one at minimum wage gets IRAs, retirement or fully paid healthcare) and service costs adjusted accordingly so that both worker and employer can both make a decent living.

Looks like best guess is that about 40% of the people working in this country make $12 an hour or less. So nearly 4 in every 10 are making BELOW the federal minimum wage as it stood in 1968. Which means that those making more back then were living well. There is your decline of the Middle Class. In my state, you can earn as little as $7.25 which is a loss of about FORTY PERCENT below the minimum wage workers once made! And all pay is calculated accordingly. The lower the minimum wage the less they can justify paying everyone else.

After all, what do they tell you: We are offering $10.25 an hour which is $3 above minimum wage!

Short story: American workers are TAKING A BATH. We work for less, work harder, get less benefits and vacation compared to our European counterparts who on average get six weeks vacation their first year. And if you work up here in the North East compared to the South, they expect you to work even harder.

Now you know why the days of your father working and he'd be damned if his wife was going to work are gone to now where nearly every couple both members must hold down jobs just to break even.

All I said is that if you are making $12 an hour now, you are no better off than someone making minimum wage back in 1968.

If only you had posted them.

If only you weren't so lazy and stupid that you can't type "who makes less than $15 an hour in the usa" into your browser to find out who makes less than $15 an hour in the USA, dumbass:

Who makes less than $15 per hour, in 3 charts

A $15 Minimum Wage Would Give Almost Half of American Workers a Raise. Is That Crazy?

Almost Half of All American Workers Make Less Than $15 an Hour

So, fucking what?
The point being AGAIN, shit for brains that minimum wage or not, if you are making $15 an hour today and the links show that a great many ARE, you're only making 25% over what WAS the minimum wage, adjusted for inflation, back in 1968. And indeed, many people are making a LOT less than $15 an hour today!

The average new home in 1960 was less than 1300 square feet.
In 2014 it was more than twice that size.
Toddlerpatriot, you actually think that everyone buying a house today is buying a NEW home? Whadda ass. People buying new homes today are buying bigger because that is all they are mostly building.

Lol you want almost half the workers in the United States to make minimum wage

All I said is that if you are making $12 an hour now, you are no better off than someone making minimum wage back in 1968.

Quit trying to spin it, you want them to make minimum wage.

How embarrassing

If only you weren't so lazy and stupid that you can't type "who makes less than $15 an hour in the usa" into your browser to find out who makes less than $15 an hour in the USA, dumbass:

A $15 Minimum Wage Would Give Almost Half of American Workers a Raise. Is That Crazy?

So, fucking what?
The point being AGAIN, shit for brains that minimum wage or not, if you are making $15 an hour today and the links show that a great many ARE, you're only making 25% over what WAS the minimum wage, adjusted for inflation, back in 1968. And indeed, many people are making a LOT less than $15 an hour today!

Toddlerpatriot, you actually think that everyone buying a house today is buying a NEW home? Whadda ass. People buying new homes today are buying bigger because that is all they are mostly building.

I never said that. Don't put words in my mouth. I'll say it one last time. If you are making $12/hour today, you are no better off than minimum wage in 1968. All those people today making less than that are actually living at below 1968 minimum wage standards. Probably why the middle class is dying and every couple both spouses work.

The American worker is getting shafted. My guess is due to foreign competition.

So, fucking what?

I never said that. Don't put words in my mouth. I'll say it one last time. If you are making $12/hour today, you are no better off than minimum wage in 1968. All those people today making less than that are actually living at below 1968 minimum wage standards. Probably why the middle class is dying and every couple both spouses work.

You look at what the taxes were back then and all the write off for credit and a lot of still lived paycheck to paycheck. I remember when a loaf of bread was a nickel and you got it day after because it wasn't stale yet, but still good for a family of 4. Gas was 29 cents and your house mortgage was 50 dollars a month. So what changed? An ounce of gold was 30 dollars back then, what is it today? Thanks for all that money printed because first FDR took US off the gold standard, then Nixon did it again. Since then, we have been printing our money into a Weimar Republic. Cut spending by 50 percent, that would mean a budget surplus of 1.5 trillion dollars a year, we could pay down the debt and once we pulled in all those dollars, the cost of items could go back to normal, would only need a single earner of income, and traditional families could become the new norm again. As long as liberals are still alive and kicking, non of that will happen. Liberals are such miserable, and immoral fucks.

Posted 1:19 PM, 16Aug2019:
ToddsterPatriot, the U.S. Congressional Budget Office, (i.e. CBO) reported their predictions of HR 528 enactment's “Effects of Increases in the Federal Minimum Wage on Average Annual Real Family Income, 2025”. That complies with the supposition I've been posting. Can you find credible economists that disagree with that prediction?
Posted 1:47 PM, 16Aug2019:
You claim that the Federal Minimum Wage impacts all wages.
You claim that if it was repealed, it would be a disaster for all US workers.
Given up on your claims already?
ToddsterPatriot, you can't take the truth!! Respectfully, Supposn

ToddsterPatriot, the U.S. Congressional Budget Office, (i.e. CBO) reported their predictions of HR 528 enactment's “Effects of Increases in the Federal Minimum Wage on Average Annual Real Family Income, 2025”. That complies with the supposition I've been posting. Can you find credible economists that disagree with that prediction?

Was that supposed to be proof that repealing the minimum wage would be a disaster for all US workers?

Seriously?

What are you drinking?

Seriously.

Was that supposed to be proof that repealing the minimum wage would be a disaster for all US workers?
Seriously?
What are you drinking?
Seriously.
ToddsterPatriot, the U.S. Congressional Budget offices were asked to analyze and predict the consequences of HR528 if it should be enacted. You're evading the CBO report on the net benefits of HR528.

That HR528 is of net benefit, is economic justification of the minimum wage rate. Respectfully, Supposn.

Seriously?
What are you drinking?
Seriously.
ToddsterPatriot, the U.S. Congressional Budget offices were asked to analyze and predict the consequences of HR528 if it should be enacted. You're evading the CBO report on the net benefits of HR528.

That HR528 is of net benefit, is economic justification of the minimum wage rate. Respectfully, Supposn.

The only benefit it is, more tax dollars, it doesn't help the $11 dollar an hour worker who now makes $3 bucks plus over minimum wage...they now will be making minimum wage just like everyone else..

God damn you liberals are trying to play ignorant workers..

Seriously?

What are you drinking?

Seriously.

He is a idiot who never reads the job boards in the United States ..

God damn ...

So, fucking what?

No better?

Who the hell you fooling, hell someone making $7.25 can afford a cell phone, the internet, a 50"inch television..

Then some poor slob in1968 with just 13 channels of crap to watch on a black and white television, and he wants to date?

Wait for a letter to arrive a week later.

So, fucking what?

No better?

Who the hell you fooling, hell someone making $7.25 can afford a cell phone, the internet, a 50"inch television..

Then some poor slob in1968 with just 13 channels of crap to watch on a black and white television, and he wants to date?

Wait for a letter to arrive a week later.

You stupid

I go by the gold standard, a much more realistic measure of inflation, and by that standard minimum wage should be around $30+an hour. Of course, a lot of morons who allegedly have 'skills' don't even make 30 an hour, and if minimum wage were raised to reflect real inflation, then they wouldn't look so 'Speshul' over your average fast food worker, i.e. no status, just goofy tards working for chump change that hey are. Some conservative estimates by various methodologies put the base at around $17 an hour, using different factors, still enough to upset allegedly 'skilled' labor's beliefs that they're really 'getting over' on those contemptible fast food workers n stuff. As long as some can run around imagining they're 'speshul' under the current schemes, they're happy, like those stupid dumbass Klan types who used to dance in the streets and felt so 'Speshul' over that 5 cents more an hour they made than blacks got paid at the local cotton mill for being 'white'.

]
The only benefit it is, more tax dollars, it doesn't help the $11 dollar an hour worker who now makes $3 bucks plus over minimum wage...they now will be making minimum wage just like everyone else..
God damn you liberals are trying to play ignorant workers..
Bear513:
Andaronjim, ...Employers are not legally mandated to do so but they generally increase all of their lower and middle-wage rates well prior to the enactment date of a federal minimum wage increase. They are impelled by the concepts of wage differential rather than by law, to do so. You incorrectly contend employers behave otherwise.
Respectfully, Supposn

Seriously?
What are you drinking?
Seriously.

You're evading the CBO report on the net benefits of HR528.

I'm really not.
Because it doesn't support your claim, "repealing the Federal minimum wage would be a disaster for all US workers".

That HR528 is of net benefit, is economic justification of the minimum wage rate.

Keep trying.

Toddsterpatriot, you continue to post "Two years ago, less than 0.7% of hourly workers made minimum wage".

this inconsequential statement. what's consequential is what proportion of employees in the USA are the working poor?

TooBFreak posted “It would take about $12 an hour to equal the minimum wage of 1968”. You deliberately or inadvertently misquoted or implied he posted something else.

I too regret that he did not provide internet links to credible or authoritative opinions or statistics supporting the contention that 40 percentiles of USA workers do not earn more than $15 per hour. I certainly do not doubt that contention and I believe it may still be valid if it were limited to only USA's full-time employees.

You doubt TooBFrank's posts, but you don't provide internet links to credible or authoritative opinions or statistics that refute his posts.
Respectfully, Supposn

Toddsterpatriot, you continue to post "Two years ago, less than 0.7% of hourly workers made minimum wage".

this inconsequential statement. what's consequential is what proportion of employees in the USA are the working poor?

TooBFreak posted “It would take about $12 an hour to equal the minimum wage of 1968”. You deliberately or inadvertently misquoted or implied he posted something else.

I too regret that he did not provide internet links to credible or authoritative opinions or statistics supporting the contention that 40 percentiles of USA workers do not earn more than $15 per hour. I certainly do not doubt that contention and I believe it may still be valid if it were limited to only USA's full-time employees.

You doubt TooBFrank's posts, but you don't provide internet links to credible or authoritative opinions or statistics that refute his posts.
Respectfully, Supposn

this inconsequential statement.

Was it a true statement?

what's consequential is what proportion of employees in the USA are the working poor?

What is the income range for "working poor"?
TooBFreak posted “It would take about $12 an hour to equal the minimum wage of 1968”.

Yes. So what?
You deliberately or inadvertently misquoted or implied he posted something else.

Prove it
I too regret that he did not provide internet links to credible or authoritative opinions or statistics supporting the contention that 40 percentiles of USA workers do not earn more than $15 per hour. I certainly do not doubt that contention

Post your evidence.
You doubt TooBFrank's posts,

It would be more difficult to doubt if he posted actual evidence.

That reminds me, any evidence for your claim yet?
"Repealing the Federal minimum wage would be a disaster for all US workers"

Convince me.

[Toddsterpatriot, you continue to post "Two years ago, less than 0.7% of hourly workers made minimum wage". this inconsequential statement.]

Was it a true statement?
[Toddsterpatriot, yes, and bears do defecate in the woods; but that's inconsequential to the question as to what is the percentile of USA workers that are lower-wage, and what portion of them are the working poor?]

What is the income range for "working poor"?
[ToddsterPatriot, the working poor are the lowest among USA's lower wage and wage rate workers. All of the working poor are among lower-wage workers; but not all of the lower-wage workers are working-poor.

Refer to: A profile of the working poor, 2016 : BLS Reports: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
A profile of the working poor, 2016 …
The working poor are people who spent at least 27 weeks in the labor force (that is, working or looking for work) but whose incomes still fell below the poverty level. In 2016, the working-poor rate—the ratio of the working poor to all individuals in the labor force for at least 27 weeks—was 4.9 percent, down 0.7 percentage point from the previous year. … In 2016, the weighted average poverty threshold for a family of four was $24,563...

Respectfully Supposn

Is Supposn ever going to provide proof for his claims......

upload_2019-8-17_17-20-8.jpeg

Forum List

Back