Who's Playing Politics With Vaccine, Trump Or FDA?

WASHINGTON (AP) — The White House has blocked new Food and Drug Administration guidelines on bringing potential vaccines for COVID-19 to market that would almost certainly have prevented their introduction before the Nov. 3 election.

At issue was the FDA’s planned instruction that vaccine developers follow patients enrolled in their trials for at least two months to rule out safety issues before seeking emergency approval from the agency. A senior administration confirmed the move Monday evening, saying the White House believed there was “no clinical or medical reason” for the additional requirement.

The intervention by Trump officials is the latest example of the administration undercutting its own medical experts working to combat the pandemic that has killed more than 210,000 Americans. FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn has been attempting to shore up public confidence in the FDA’s vaccine review for weeks, vowing that career scientists, not politicians, will decide if the shots are safe and effective for mass vaccination.

But President Donald Trump has repeatedly insisted that a vaccine could be authorized before Election Day, even though top government scientists working on the administration’s vaccine effort have stated that that timeline is very unlikely.

I expect this to be a pretty partisan discussion. In spite of lefties saying we on the right always stick up for Trump no matter what, as one righty, I'm not crazy about this at all.

The question is whether Trump is risking the health or lives of Americans to have a vaccine out by election day, or is the FDA creating new standards so that doesn't happen helping to usher in Joe Biden?

The goal should ne to have a safe vaccine not to have one before election day. What the FDA is doing ,makes sense. Unfortunately I have to conclude that Trump is looking out for himself. He has already shown his lack of compassion by downplaying the virus despite the 200,000+ deaths. I would be very wary of any vaccine developed before the election. I suspect drug companies will be very wary of putting any drug before it is tested. They could be looking at massive lawsuits if it is not. These conspiracy theories do not fly with the ordinary voter. If I were Biden, I would put out ads highlighting these conspiracy theories showing how crazy Trump and his supporters are.

The issue is with the FDA changing the rules. The safety aspect of the vaccine has already been done before seeking FDA approval.

Okay I see where you are coming from...but to me the shot is a guarantee...because I trust the system.....frankly I'm sick of masks and eating outdoors and not going to bars and concerts....living like this is not living...so to me it's worth any risk to see this virus licked....
And most doctors will tell you that people who get the flu after having a shot already had it before the shot....I've never had any adverse reaction to it short of a sore upper arm....

I should take the flu shot but only do if I'm at the doctor at the time and they offer it. Nobody hates wearing masks more than me, plus I'm on the comorbidity list to boot. I can't stand going to the store with my fellow citizens and we all look like we're about to rob a bank.

That said, if it takes an extra two months to guarantee the safety of the product, I suffered this much. What's an extra two months?

I should take the flu shot but only do if I'm at the doctor at the time and they offer it. Nobody hates wearing masks more than me, plus I'm on the comorbidity list to boot. I can't stand going to the store with my fellow citizens and we all look like we're about to rob a bank.

That said, if it takes an extra two months to guarantee the safety of the product, I suffered this much. What's an extra two months?
I agree it has to be safe...100% safe....

The issue is with the FDA changing the rules. The safety aspect of the vaccine has already been done before seeking FDA approval.

Unfortunately in this country, you can't look at a street sign without us making politics out of it. So being suspect of the FDA is understandable.

And the media is working overtime trying to scare folks from taking the vaccine when its cleared for use...shame on them....
I won't take it....Don't even get seasonal flu shots.

If there's ever a comorbidity issue, I'll consider it....But not a moment before.
Not every citizen would need to take it but a large number would...and if people are afraid to take it the virus will stay and most likely mutate away from the vaccines capability....and that would be very sad indeed....and if I were you I would at least get a flu shot this year even if you never had one before....if you catch the flu and have to go to the hospital where you could also catch covid you are a dead man....no matter how good of health you are....the combo will kill you....

Now that we know over 90% of those infected are asymptomatic, we don't need a vaccine any more.
Herd immunity is faster, less expensive, and likely much safer.
Look at how the vaccines work.
One of them essentially just tries to gum up the corona spikes.
Sure that would work to stop covid-19, but would also gum up the spikes on all exosomes that the corona viruses are trying to mimick. And that would mean no communications to the immune system any more. Which would mean all the immunities you had in the past, like vaccines for polio and smallpox, would no longer work.

Oh, and by the way, you can't get flu and covid at the same time. One you have one, the immune system starts producing antibodies, so those antibodies prevent infection by some other virus, in almost all cases.

And the media is working overtime trying to scare folks from taking the vaccine when its cleared for use...shame on them....
I won't take it....Don't even get seasonal flu shots.

If there's ever a comorbidity issue, I'll consider it....But not a moment before.

Before I take it, I would first talk with my doctor, and then I'd have to get the okay from my cousin who is a semi-retired lab doctor that worked with this kind of stuff all the time.

The problem I have with all this is let's face it, hundreds of millions of people are going to be getting the vaccine. When that happens, I don't care how much testing you did on thousands of people, when it comes out, there are going to be problems when you're talking about millions of people.

If the White House pushes this through, then the MSM is going to have a party with this placing the blame squarely on Trump. If Trump sits back and waits for FDA approval, then he's going to get much less criticism.
It's alway wise to be careful...I don't want to be first in line but I will take it...I get the flu shot every year and haven't had the flu in 15 years....the precautions they take today can be trusted...it's not like when we were fighting smallpox and only one lab was allowed to work on it while doing their own testing...without an independant lab inspection and testing....now we do much better and take better precautions....

No reason to attribute the flu shot with not getting flu. I have never had a flu shot and have not had flu in 40 years. Kids have flu because they have no familiarity with it. Adults naturally get flu much less often.

The problem with flu shots is they are so far off that they don't stop the person from still being infectious, just feel good enough to still go out and spread it.

Which doctors? Did you hear this from specific doctors, or somewhere else. Sounds a little far fetched.
Just a couple of doctors on FOX suggested this theory...but it makes sense if you think about it...Sweden never shut down or enforced mask wearing and to look at that country today one would have to say they handled this the best....they are now living the life we all once did.....concerts restaurants and movie theaters all open.....we blew it....

Just had a Skype session with an ER doctors. She wants me to help her pick out a new car. She said it's bullshit cause viruses don't work that way. That's not the first time Fox broadcast bullshit.

Hard to believe masks could make the virus stronger. Where did you get that info?
Some doctors have said they worry about this...the theory is that when a virus has trouble finding new hosts it strengthens....and if it does any vaccine we create may not work on it....

Which doctors? Did you hear this from specific doctors, or somewhere else. Sounds a little far fetched.

No, its real.
If you do not wash or disinfect mask, then after the mucus dries, the virus again goes right through it, in even greater concentration than would normally be in the air.
Masks collect and concentrate the virus spores.
Mask are only good for catching large spit droplets.
If you do not wash them before the droplets dry, then they are worse than not wearing a mask at all.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The White House has blocked new Food and Drug Administration guidelines on bringing potential vaccines for COVID-19 to market that would almost certainly have prevented their introduction before the Nov. 3 election.

At issue was the FDA’s planned instruction that vaccine developers follow patients enrolled in their trials for at least two months to rule out safety issues before seeking emergency approval from the agency. A senior administration confirmed the move Monday evening, saying the White House believed there was “no clinical or medical reason” for the additional requirement.

The intervention by Trump officials is the latest example of the administration undercutting its own medical experts working to combat the pandemic that has killed more than 210,000 Americans. FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn has been attempting to shore up public confidence in the FDA’s vaccine review for weeks, vowing that career scientists, not politicians, will decide if the shots are safe and effective for mass vaccination.

But President Donald Trump has repeatedly insisted that a vaccine could be authorized before Election Day, even though top government scientists working on the administration’s vaccine effort have stated that that timeline is very unlikely.

I expect this to be a pretty partisan discussion. In spite of lefties saying we on the right always stick up for Trump no matter what, as one righty, I'm not crazy about this at all.

The question is whether Trump is risking the health or lives of Americans to have a vaccine out by election day, or is the FDA creating new standards so that doesn't happen helping to usher in Joe Biden?
Trump.
Stupid question.

Just a couple of doctors on FOX suggested this theory...but it makes sense if you think about it...Sweden never shut down or enforced mask wearing and to look at that country today one would have to say they handled this the best....they are now living the life we all once did.....concerts restaurants and movie theaters all open.....we blew it....

Just had a Skype session with an ER doctors. She wants me to help her pick out a new car. She said it's bullshit cause viruses don't work that way. That's not the first time Fox broadcast bullshit.

ER doctors know very little about epidemiology.
They concentrate on trauma.
That is all that is supposed to funnel into the ER.

Doctors change masks many times a day, and never wear the same mask again without it being washed.
When they take a mask off, they then are required to wash their hands, as the mask once worn, is a contact source of infection.

The goal should ne to have a safe vaccine not to have one before election day. What the FDA is doing ,makes sense. Unfortunately I have to conclude that Trump is looking out for himself. He has already shown his lack of compassion by downplaying the virus despite the 200,000+ deaths. I would be very wary of any vaccine developed before the election. I suspect drug companies will be very wary of putting any drug before it is tested. They could be looking at massive lawsuits if it is not. These conspiracy theories do not fly with the ordinary voter. If I were Biden, I would put out ads highlighting these conspiracy theories showing how crazy Trump and his supporters are.

Not entirely.
The most basic safety aspects are addressed, but not the rare events, such as allergic reactions, those with compromised immune systems, etc.

Now that we know over 90% of those infected are asymptomatic, we don't need a vaccine any more.
Herd immunity is faster, less expensive, and likely much safer.
Look at how the vaccines work.
One of them essentially just tries to gum up the corona spikes.
Sure that would work to stop covid-19, but would also gum up the spikes on all exosomes that the corona viruses are trying to mimick. And that would mean no communications to the immune system any more. Which would mean all the immunities you had in the past, like vaccines for polio and smallpox, would no longer work.

Oh, and by the way, you can't get flu and covid at the same time. One you have one, the immune system starts producing antibodies, so those antibodies prevent infection by some other virus, in almost all cases.
Yes I've heard this as well...that by the time we have a safe vaccine it won't be needed....lets hope!....

My question, have you checked the sources to see if this is indeed true or not?
Pfizer’s vaccine will be available late this month, first of Nov.

No reason to attribute the flu shot with not getting flu. I have never had a flu shot and have not had flu in 40 years. Kids have flu because they have no familiarity with it. Adults naturally get flu much less often.

The problem with flu shots is they are so far off that they don't stop the person from still being infectious, just feel good enough to still go out and spread it
I happen to be one of those people that when I have had the flu it has always hit me extremely hard...the last time I caught the flu I was in Iraq...and it almost killed me...I had a fever of over 104 for six days straight...and when I began to feel better it hit me again...possibly reinfected myself with my toothbrush the doctor said...
He also told me to never miss getting a flu vaccination due to my influenza sensitivity...so I get vaccinated every year....but to each his own...I'm not one that feels we all (every single one of us) has to be vaccinated to rid the world of covid....

You really think so? They have no problem calling Trump a racist.....after an entire life lived in public. They have no problem lying about his response to the Chineses flu and lying about cuomo's response to the Chinese flu.......

They have video of him condemning the nazis at Charlottesville, and every reporter including chris wallace at the debate continue to say he said the nazis were fine people.........

They have jon karl of ABC asking about injecting bleach....but then say Trump said it....

You really need to think about this....because I think you aren't accurate on how this is going to go.

I understand how they work, but when their lies come out, they are easily shot down. If Trump forces them to approve of this drug, we can't defend him in any way.

He isn't forcing them to do anything........their lies are not easily shot down, considering too many uninformed Americans, who don't do anything but listen to the news occasionally, think the things the democrat press says about Trump are true, while not knowing any of the actual true things about biden and harris....

Not entirely.
The most basic safety aspects are addressed, but not the rare events, such as allergic reactions, those with compromised immune systems, etc.

So we hold up a life saving vaccine when "1000's" are dying everyday over rare reactions? It's unlikely rare reactions would be discovered in the 2 month period, since they would be rare.

Not entirely.

So we hold up a life saving vaccine when "1000's" are dying everyday over rare reactions? It's unlikely rare reactions would be discovered in the 2 month period, since they would be rare.

But......biden has to win, so the vaccine will be held up and it will be smeared as well....

Not entirely.

I can see it now...........democrat party activists at high levels in the biden campaign...making courtesy calls on the manufacturers producing the vaccine......it would be really too bad if a new biden administration had to send in the alphabet agencies to look at your company if your vaccine came out before the election.........

Those talks have likely already happened...

But you and I both know how the media would run with it if it were only one person. It's like they did with Voter-ID. They find somebody in the state who came from another country in the 20's and has no valid ID to get a Voter-ID, and they base their case to dismiss ID on that one person.

Forum List

Back