Who Is The GOAT?

Asclepias

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2013
Breathing rarified air.
Watching the Last Dance had me reminiscing and reliving my younger days. It also reminded me how no matter how much I like Lebron he just cant surpass MJ for the title of the GOAT in basketball. MJ was just on another level that no one will probably ever reach. I mean this dude won 3 straight, came back and won 3 more straight. Granted he didnt do it by himself. But he did do it with flair and an artistry that is unmatched. MJ may not be my favorite person but he definitely is the GOAT.

Watching the Last Dance had me reminiscing and reliving my younger days. It also reminded me how no matter how much I like Lebron he just cant surpass MJ for the title of the GOAT in basketball. MJ was just on another level that no one will probably ever reach. I mean this dude won 3 straight, came back and won 3 more straight. Granted he didnt do it by himself. But he did do it with flair and an artistry that is unmatched. MJ may not be my favorite person but he definitely is the GOAT.
Lebron is not even close. Mike is the GOAT. The numbers tell the story.

Last edited:
Watching the documentary has confirmed Jordan is the goat. Lebron will have all the records when he’s done but he just doesn’t have the storybook history or career Jordan had.

Jordan beat them all. Barkley, Shaquille, Ewing, the nets, Carl malone, Reggie Miller, Magic, Bird, pistons, Gary Payton and the supersonics. The glove. Lol. Jordan laughed at what he had to say.

jordan owned them all. No memory of him losing. Lots of memories of lebron folding or getting cramps. Lol.

Right now I agree the GOAT is still Jordan. But if Lebron wins a title with the Lakers, then I have to give it to Lebron for winning the championship with three different teams.

Lebron is not even close. Mike is the GOAT. The numbers tell the story.

But, lebron story is pretty impressive too. We all remember the 6 years Jordan won it all but what about the years before and after? How many finals has lebron made it too? Probably more than mike.

But still mj has 3 more rings. So, what if lebron won one two or three more rings? At what point would he be the goat? I say he needs to win two more

Right now I agree the GOAT is still Jordan. But if Lebron wins a title with the Lakers, then I have to give it to Lebron for winning the championship with three different teams.
I just said two. He would have to finish with 5 rings. 4 won’t do it. In fact one could say lebron had to go to another team cause he couldn’t do it in Cleveland.

im surprised he didn’t win more in Miami. He let dirk beat him. My would have never let dirk beat him.

Has any qb in football ever won a Super Bowl with two different teams?

Jordan won 6 championships. Never lost in a final. Lebron is not even close to Jordan and Lebron is great. Jordan averaged 30 points a game for his career. He didn't do load management. And the game was a little more physical then, but Lebron could handle that.

Jordan won 6 championships. Never lost in a final. Lebron is not even close to Jordan and Lebron is great. Jordan averaged 30 points a game for his career. He didn't do load management. And the game was a little more physical then, but Lebron could handle that.
My Mount Rushmore

Jordan Lebron Magic Kobe.

For bigs

Shaq Wilt Kareem Hakeem Bill Russell Duncan.

I still say it is a bigger achievement to win championships with 3 separate teams with totally different chemistries, coaches, environments etc than 6 with the same team. If Lebron gets a ring with the Lakers, I have to go with him even though I have more respect for Jordan.

Jordan, and all like him who reach a pinnacle and maintain it for a long period of time, succeed because they drive themselves to win. He had the classic (now in short supply?) American capitalist mentality. Work fiercely, find motivation, make others around him successful and investors plenty of money. Something few Canadians have, it's one of the reason we will eventually be a has-been nation.

Not only did he win on a constant basis, including retiring and coming back twice, but, unlike Lebron he didn't pick and choose his teammates. He has his battles and controversies, but in the end, the team wanted to win, so they allowed him to lead the charge because he was the most talented in the league by far.

You don't have to like him personally, but that's not his concern. His concern was winning on the basketball court, and nobody can ever take that away because he did it 6 times, even after retiring. Unlike so many who had talent but not the drive, Jordan had both and increased the entire value of the league and every franchise. He much business did he produce in his lifetime, from sports to shoes, movies and endorsements? Billions.

I still say it is a bigger achievement to win championships with 3 separate teams with totally different chemistries, coaches, environments etc than 6 with the same team. If Lebron gets a ring with the Lakers, I have to go with him even though I have more respect for Jordan.

Let him play for the Timberwolves or some other bottom feeder and then win a title.

Lebron is good. He gets more phantom "Jordan foul calls" than even Jordan got and he is far more protected. Let him play against the Bad Boys of the Pistons with a weaker team behind him and see how he fares.

Jordan could shoot and score in the middle of 3 players. The guy brought beauty to the game that is now missing with the outside, no-contact available shooters of today.

Has any qb in football ever won a Super Bowl with two different teams?
Yes Peyton Manning with the Colts and the Broncos. Not sure where you are going with your question.

My choice for GOAT of professional basketball, the NBA, is Wilt Chamberlain. When he came along he changed the fabric of the game. He was the first REALLY dominant big man in the game. George Mikan, who came before him, WAS a terrific big man, but he didn't dominate like Wilt did. Chamberlain set some offensive records that will most likely never be touched. He scored 100 points in a game, and the season he did this he AVERAGED 50.4 points per game! He was also a fierce rebounder and holds the record for highest rebounds per game average over a career. And he pulled down an incredible 55 rebounds in one game. He should have won many more championships than he did, however the teams he was on were no match for the amazing Celtics in the 1960's. The Celtics just had better players and better teams overall, and better coaches, as well. Having posted this, Michael Jordan IS my #2 pick for GOAT, for all of the reasons you mentioned. He was an absolutely great offensive player, but a fine defender as well. And he was a great leader on the court. I just don't think he quite changed the fabric of the game like Wilt did.

My choice for GOAT of professional basketball, the NBA, is Wilt Chamberlain. When he came along he changed the fabric of the game. He was the first REALLY dominant big man in the game. George Mikan, who came before him, WAS a terrific big man, but he didn't dominate like Wilt did. Chamberlain set some offensive records that will most likely never be touched. He scored 100 points in a game, and the season he did this he AVERAGED 50.4 points per game! He was also a fierce rebounder and holds the record for highest rebounds per game average over a career. And he pulled down an incredible 55 rebounds in one game. He should have won many more championships than he did, however the teams he was on were no match for the amazing Celtics in the 1960's. The Celtics just had better players and better teams overall, and better coaches, as well. Having posted this, Michael Jordan IS my #2 pick for GOAT, for all of the reasons you mentioned. He was an absolutely great offensive player, but a fine defender as well. And he was a great leader on the court. I just don't think he quite changed the fabric of the game like Wilt did.

Yes Wilt was untouchable in terms of how he dominated, but Jordan did it in a much tougher era, but more importantly, he brought a competitive, beauty and swagger to the game that turned the NBA into a global powerhouse.

What Ruth did for baseball, Jordan did to basketball.

Let him play for the Timberwolves or some other bottom feeder and then win a title.

Lebron is good. He gets more phantom "Jordan foul calls" than even Jordan got and he is far more protected. Let him play against the Bad Boys of the Pistons with a weaker team behind him and see how he fares.

Jordan could shoot and score in the middle of 3 players. The guy brought beauty to the game that is now missing with the outside, no-contact available shooters of today.
No argument that Jordan was unique in his abilities and his competitiveness.

Forum List

Back