Who has changed their mind about an issue ?

I participate on this and other boards and I am questioning the time spent.

I look for well reasoned arguments to change my mind, but I rarely see them.

I was wondering if anyone has adjusted their thinking on a particular issue in general or because of something posted on this board ?
I thought Obama was the worst candidate ever, but Clinton was worse in 2016 , now biden . So yes.

Christian Democrats

I was wondering if anyone has adjusted their thinking on a particular issue in general or because of something posted on this board ?
I have on hand guns !!! I have been very anti hand gun in my life but very pro long gun
I see too many older Americans being too vulnerable by black thugs with zero way to defend themselves

I thought Obama was the worst candidate ever, but Clinton was worse in 2016 , now biden . So yes.
I agree but I still hate George bush and his father

It forces you to defend your positions, and I notice when the conversation turns to attacking individuals instead of focusing on issues, those that use ad hominin attacks have lost the debate.

I'll give you a hint, this happens mostly on the Left.

And yes, I realize that this makes me a racist, misogynist, Anti-Semitic homophobe.

Oh well.

Before anyone tries to figure out how to sell that shit...............you can't. We see it. We reject it.
Amen to this. Actually even once people figure how to sell certain things, I still won't crack. If anything, I become even more against whatever it is that they have placed in front of me.

So why do people post here ?
I'm here to reach out and share with anyone who may have a belief or interest that I myself have.

God bless you two always!!!

Holly

I use to be pro death penalty. That's the only issue that I can recall having changed my mind on.

I learn something from pretty much everyone at some point or another.

In fact, I agree with a great deal of the opinions of others with regard to what the actual issues are and how they effect the electorate as a collective, irrelevant of how an opinion holder identifies politically.

Where I tend to part ways with many of them are in the solutions to those problems, however.

You're never really going to change minds in a public platform like a message board. The people who participate generally do already have their own established views. Of course, their thoughts on things can evolve. As can one's own view on things.

That's not to say the issues can't be discussed, just because regulars aren't likely to change their minds. So often conversation devolves into waving our peckers back and forth at each other, though. And there's simply nothing good that will come from that. Often this is actually the intent of some participants. Some really don't want stimulating discussion or debate. Some just want to throw a wrecking ball around to specifically disrupt that whole notion. Divide and conquer and whatnot, you know how that goes, I suppose. Ultimately it depends on what you want to achieve through participation in platforms like these.

Good discussion, however, does plant seeds. The question is who you're planting seeds for. Is it the person you're debating? It really shouldn't be, in my view. Generally it's the curious casual passer-by who will benefit the most from civil discussion/debate. If that can be maintained.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back