Who can remember the Bicentennial in 76?

Persistence Of Memory

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2019
1976. What a beautiful summer. The country was celebrating all year long. But that 4th was special.

It was a big damned fun party I remember. Every American was UNITED and ONE. The wounds of Nam were healing and we wanted to move forward. It was so much fun I feel so sorry for you bastards that missed the party. You have no F idea what we were back then. Sure we had a lot of problems, when did we not???????????????????

Watched the Tall Ships sail up the Chesapeake to Baltimore on the tour up the coast to their final destination in NY harbor.

bf739d8458073168d58a5dde79f2d5d6.jpg

1976. What a beautiful summer. The country was celebrating all year long. But that 4th was special.

It was a big damned fun party I remember. Every American was UNITED and ONE. The wounds of Nam were healing and we wanted to move forward. It was so much fun I feel so sorry for you bastards that missed the party. You have no F idea what we were back then. Sure we had a lot of problems, when did we not???????????????????

Yes it was a time of turmoil but at least we had a two dollar bill and a special quarter.

1976..Ford is President---Carter is nominated and wins--he is the first president from the deep South to be President since before the Civil war.

I remember the Tall Ships sailing out of Boston--and watching the fireworks with my wife..good times,

Yes it was a time of turmoil but at least we had a two dollar bill and a special quarter.

I saved every single one of those quarters I came across and now I have a bunch of them and they’re worth like 27 cents each now.

Maybe in a hundred years or so I can cash in.

Let me know what years we weren't in some turmoil. From nukes to plagues. How old are you?

Very shaded memories. I was three years-old. My recollections of that time stem more from photos taken of parades and celebrations a few years later. Still, those old pictures ooze patriotism, unity and an overwhelming sense of pride in nation.

I was 5.

I was probably playing in a mud puddle or something.

I was spending my first couple of months at my permanent Duty Station in FROG... Couple of fellars asked me if I was interested in going to Paris over the 4th... Me, being the adventurous sort said "why not"...
A Japanese fellow named Matsumoto, a Mexican fellow named Sanchez spent the weekend in Paris France... On the 4th I chose to spend the day with about 40 or 50 ex-patriots in the VFW club in Paris...

I remember many patriotic painted fireplugs.
It is a hate crime to do stuff like that today.
fireplgasdasdha.jpg

I remember many patriotic painted fireplugs.
It is a hate crime to do stuff like that today.
View attachment 352703

OMG! Thanks. I forgot about those. LOL...... Did you like that 92 yr old woman smacked in the face and hit her head on one. Such a proud moment to see that.

I was spending my first couple of months at my permanent Duty Station in FROG... Couple of fellars asked me if I was interested in going to Paris over the 4th... Me, being the adventurous sort said "why not"...
A Japanese fellow named Matsumoto, a Mexican fellow named Sanchez spent the weekend in Paris France... On the 4th I chose to spend the day with about 40 or 50 ex-patriots in the VFW club in Paris...
That must have been cool. Tell us of your memorable adventures there if you can remember them. Lol.

I was 5.

I was probably playing in a mud puddle or something.

You were there though. That's what counts.

44 yrs have passed. Hard to believe. Too much time on our hands yet never enough of it.

44 yrs will pass you young punks like the wind....Trust us. We know a thing or 3. We've seen everything at least twice...... except a virus and a burning George Washington.

Jesus Christ I can't believe it.

Forum List

Back