Debate Now Who are the serious debaters on this forum?

Rumpole

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2023
A number of persons on this forum do not understand how to frame an argument.

But, some of you do.

the non serious ones make wild claims, vacuous claims without substantiating them.

When asked to substantiate, I often get a snarky 'you do it'. No, the onus is always on the the ones making claims to substantiate their claims. You cannot ask others to do your work for you. That never has been the etiquette in any forum I've ever heard of and I've been on many going back to the 90s, the days of Usenet.

I will always substantiate my claim, if it exists. If it doesn't, I'll be happy to say 'it's just my opinion'. Opinions are okay, just make sure you make it clear that that is what they are. If you are making a claim of fact, then substantiate it to the best you can, and offer a path of reasoning for it, to the best that you can. See, to substantiate could just mean to supplement yuor claim, though proving it would be even better, but at least supplement it with something, or at the very minimum, a well reasoned path of logic and naming some well known examples, that would be okay.

But a wild claim, short sentence, 'Biden family are criminals' without evidence, that's not an argument. To say, 'it's in the news', that's not substantiation. A link would suffice. We could then debate the link, sure, but at least provide something, and the more, the merrier. It's called 'moving the debate forward'. Comments that do not move the debate forward are non arguments. Arguments and counter arguments move the debate forward. It's not complicated.

the non serious engage in ad hominems. The attack the source or the messenger and not the message. (yes, I've done this myself, but I would love to argue on a forum that doesn't allow it).

They who do not know how to debate do not engage in a real argument, they riddle their comments with rant words, weasel words, words of emotion and sentiment, engage in petty name calling, and wild claims without substance to them, and do not understand what a real argument is, and they do not understand the difference between an opinion and an argument, the difference between a non argument and a real argument.

For example:

Conservatives are morons. Liberals are idiots.

No, those are not arguments. Those are rants, they are sentiments, weasel words, ad homs, non arguments. Got it?

But, if I wrote: AOC's 'new deal' has issues, which are as follows (list them ) which is supported by (link to authoritative sources which supplement the argument [which, by the way, is not a violation of the 'appeals to authority' logical fallacy, because it's supplementation, not reliance upon] ).

That would be an argument. No snarky quips, no hate-AOC remarks, etc. Real arguments aren't supposed to be impressive by clever word use designed to get likes, they are supposed to be persuasive.

Who are the members of USMB who know how to debate?

Please tell me who you are and you will be the ones invited to future OPs by me on this forum. I don't care if you are right or left or something else. It's not about whether your are right or wrong, that is why we are here, to debate what is right and wrong, but some of you are disingenuous and are here only to get likes from your friends. Some of your I simply cannot take seriously. And, of course, those of you I can't take seriously will typically shoot that same claim back at me, which is, in fact, a cop out.

Who are the serious debaters? Let me know, please. PM me, if you prefer.

Please understand, I do not claim to be the god's gift to debate forums, it's not about how well we argue, I am probably even guilty of some of the sins I eschew, (but I strive, at least, not to, but, at times, it feels like I have to, with some of you) it's about how to at least adhere to a form that allows for constructive debate, and that is what I'm after.

And, another thing, we are anonymous here. All that matters is the argument, not who we are. Some are from foreign countries, it doesn't matter, all that matters is the text in the argument. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm from Texas, in case you are wondering.

Let me know, thank you.

Rumpole.

Last edited:

But, some of you do.

the non serious ones make wild claims, vacuous claims without substantiating them.

When asked to substantiate, I often get a snarky 'you do it'. No, the onus is always on the the ones making claims to substantiate their claims. You cannot ask others to do your work for you. That never has been the etiquette in any forum I've ever heard of and I've been on many going back to the 90s, the days of Usenet.

I will always substantiate my claim, if it exists. If it doesn't, I'll be happy to say 'it's just my opinion'. Opinions are okay, just make sure you make it clear that that is what they are. If you are making a claim of fact, then substantiate it to the best you can, and offer a path of reasoning for it, to the best that you can. But a wild claim, short sentence, 'Biden family are criminals' without evidence, that's not an argument. To say, 'it's in the news', that's not substantiation. A link would suffice. We could then debate the link, sure, but at least provide something, and the more, the merrier. It's called 'moving the debate forward'. Comments that do not move the debate forward are non arguments. Arguments and counter arguments move the debate forward. It's not complicated.

the non serious engage in ad hominems. The attack the source or the messenger and not the message. (yes, I've done this myself, but I would love to argue on a forum that doesn't allow it).

They who do not know how to debate do not engage in a real argument, they riddle their comments with rant words, weasel words, words of emotion and sentiment, engage in petty name calling, and wild claims without substance to them, and do not understand what a real argument is, and they do not understand the difference between an opinion and an argument, the difference between a non argument and a real argument.

For example:

No, those are not arguments. Those are rants, they are sentiments, weasel words, ad homs, non arguments. Got it?

But, if I wrote: AOC's 'new deal' has issues, which are as follows (list them ) which is supported by (link to authoritative sources which supplement the argument).

That would be an argument. No snarky quips, no hate-AOC remarks, etc. Real arguments aren't supposed to be impressive by clever word use designed to get likes, they are supposed to be persuasive.

Please tell me who you are and you will be the ones invited to future OPs by me on this forum. I don't care if you are right or left or something else. It's not about whether your are right or wrong, that is why we are here, to debate what is right and wrong, but some of you are disingenuous and are here only to get likes from your friends. Some of your I simply cannot take seriously. And, of course, those of you I can't take seriously will typically shoot that same claim back at me, which is, in fact, a cop out.

Please understand, I do not claim to be the god's gift to debate forums, it's not about how well we argue, I am probably even guilty of some of the sins I eschew, (but I strive, at least, not to, but, at times, it feels like I have to, with some of you) it's about how to at least adhere to a form that allows for constructive debate, and that is what I'm after.

And, another thing, we are anonymous here. All that matters is the argument, not who we are. Some are from foreign countries, it doesn't matter, all that matters is the text in the argument. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm from Texas, in case you are wondering.

Let me know, thank you.

Rumpole.

Oh, and if my sig makes claims, they link to substantiation.
it sure sounds like the problem is yours because you lost on your last debate thread so badly,,

all that matters in a debate is facts not feelings,,

But, some of you do.

I will always substantiate my claim, if it exists. If it doesn't, I'll be happy to say 'it's just my opinion'. Opinions are okay, just make sure you make it clear that that is what they are. If you are making a claim of fact, then substantiate it to the best you can, and offer a path of reasoning for it, to the best that you can. See, to substantiate could just mean to supplement yuor claim, though proving it would be even better, but at least supplement it with something, or at the very minimum, a well reasoned path of logic and naming some well known examples, that would be okay.

But a wild claim, short sentence, 'Biden family are criminals' without evidence, that's not an argument. To say, 'it's in the news', that's not substantiation. A link would suffice. We could then debate the link, sure, but at least provide something, and the more, the merrier. It's called 'moving the debate forward'. Comments that do not move the debate forward are non arguments. Arguments and counter arguments move the debate forward. It's not complicated.

For example:

But, if I wrote: AOC's 'new deal' has issues, which are as follows (list them ) which is supported by (link to authoritative sources which supplement the argument [which, by the way, is not a violation of the 'appeals to authority' logical fallacy, because it's supplementation, not reliance upon] ).

Let me know, thank you.

Rumpole.
Those you disagree with, regardless of political affiliation, are ... morons and idiots?

I yearn for a healthy, substantive debate. It would have to be the right subject and right time. A real debate requires some commitment.

There have been a few Canadian shills who have debated my argument about failures here and I've relied on memory when making the argument. Luckily, 9 times out of 10 I google the source. I've noticed there has been less resistance to such facts so they instead focus on my personal circumstance knowing I cannot provide names and details for obvious reasons.

From my perspective an important element of a debate is honesty. If one is honest with themselves they can be swayed, and, will speak the truth even if at times they cannot "prove it" per se (though its beyond an opinion).

I'm pretty sure no one came here, to this board, for structured debate...
Add to that reality that we now live in a post-truth, post-factual world. Those who "substantiate" their arguments do so with sources that the other person simply ignores because of the source or the conclusions. There are no longer any commonly held standards that all agree on.

These days, it's more like:

But, some of you do.

For example:

Let me know, thank you.

Rumpole.
You're certainly not serious....You post indigestible text bricks with numerous different points on them, then demand that your voluminous load of prose be parsed out on a point-by-point basis.

Then, like the haughty headmaster wannabe that you are, you demand that everyone adhere to your rules.

Well, take you tl;dr bullshit and stuff it where the sun don't shine...Your effete snobbery deserves all the ridicule heaped upon it that it gets.

Add to that reality that we now live in a post-truth, post-factual world. Those who "substantiate" their arguments do so with sources that the other person simply ignores because of the source or the conclusions. There are no longer any commonly held standards that all agree on.

These days, it's more like:

yeah,, '
what is a women is leading the .pack,,

That's easy, you just described FlatCan
If I HAD wanted to DESCRIBE him, I would have used his PERSONAL style recreated IN such a way as TO provide an unmistakable homage to all THE various ways he HAS of DISTINGUISHING himself from all the other MODS.

You're certainly not serious....You post indigestible text bricks with numerous different points on them, then demand that your voluminous load of prose be parsed out on a point-by-point basis.

Then, like the haughty headmaster wannabe that you are, you demand that everyone adhere to your rules.

Well, take you tl;dr bullshit and stuff it where the sun don't shine...Your effete snobbery deserves all the ridicule heaped upon it that it gets.

If someone can't say it in fifty words, I don't need to know it.

It's called being succinct, and it's a valuable skill in life.

If someone can't say it in fifty words, I don't need to know it.

It's called being succinct, and it's a valuable skill in life.

Pithy.

Pithy is good...

Rumpole, I would be happy to debate some issues with you. Above you refer to authoratative sources being necessary, but you don't take into account that sources you deem to be authoritative, may not be credible sources to others.

Here's an opportunity for you to expand on that idea: I deem the sources that are saying that the war in the Ukraine is an American proxy war against Russia as credible and authoritative. Most Americans disagree.

Instead of you starting to debate the issue I've used as an example, can you suggest how a debate can proceed from differing opinions of that depth and gravity?

I would assert that the quality of 'debaters' is lacking and that can't be fixed unless the quality of the moderation is fixed to meet certain minimal standards.

Would you like a debate between us so that we can put our ideas to the test?

You may find too that there are no more than two or maybe three others on this board who are actually capable of reasoned debate that's within your parameters.

Rumpole, I would be happy to debate some issues with you. Above you refer to authoratative sources being necessary, but you don't take into account that sources you deem to be authoritative, may not be credible sources to others.

Here's an opportunity for you to expand on that idea: I deem the sources that are saying that the war in the Ukraine is an American proxy war against Russia as credible and authoritative. Most Americans disagree.

Instead of you starting to debate the issue I've used as an example, can you suggest how a debate can proceed from differing opinions of that depth and gravity?

I would assert that the quality of 'debaters' is lacking and that can't be fixed unless the quality of the moderation is fixed to meet certain minimal standards.

You may find too that there are no more than two or maybe three others on this board who are actually capable of reasoned debate that's within your parameters.
his problem is he wants to tell people what to think and why their wrong,, not have a debate on the topic,,
as proven by the other thread he started today and ran from when he was shown why he was wrong by so many people

note to moderators: The 'clean debate zone' isn't clean on account of no imagination on what is required to keep it clean. But I understand that nobody really cares very much about keeping it clean, and providing a refuge for those few who desire clean debate. Can that be changed?

Would it be possible to even keep this thread clean for a start?

But, some of you do.

For example:

Let me know, thank you.

Rumpole.

Tl;dr

Again

Forum List

Back